Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Sensor not recognizing when Driver Gets out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model 6 started not turning off the cabin or locking doors when i exited the vehicle. I took to Tesla service and they identified the problem as a bad senor in the drivers seat. They said the only fix is to replace the seat which is $3,500. This seem crazy to me that the senor alone can’t be replaced. Car has 60,000 miles on it so it is out of warranty. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way (or shop) that can fix this without replacing the whole seat?

That price tag seeme excessive. Did you try to ask for Tesla to pay a portion out of good faith? Might be worth asking politely. I was reading another recent post and someone posted a video with a solution... Might be worth checking out

Here is a 2017 seat bottom. The small yellow connector attaches to occupancy sensor.
Might be difficult but certainly possible to replace.
I'd test by seeing what happens if you just pull that plug..

IMG_20200905_151512__01__01__01__02.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
My 2017 Model 6 started not turning off the cabin or locking doors when i exited the vehicle. I took to Tesla service and they identified the problem as a bad senor in the drivers seat. They said the only fix is to replace the seat which is $3,500. This seem crazy to me that the senor alone can’t be replaced. Car has 60,000 miles on it so it is out of warranty. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way (or shop) that can fix this without replacing the whole seat?

It’s sad that in today’s society nobody really wants to “fix” anything anymore. Just throw away and get new.
Tesla telling you they need to replace a $3,500 seat because a sensor is bad is an excellent example of this. I’m sure the sensor wouldn’t be any more then $25 or $30.
Hearing this is very frustrating.
Hopefully you are able to get the sensor fixed somehow without having to replace the seat.

It’s sad that in today’s society nobody really wants to “fix” anything anymore. Just throw away and get new.
Tesla telling you they need to replace a $3,500 seat because a sensor is bad is an excellent example of this. I’m sure the sensor wouldn’t be any more then $25 or $30.
Hearing this is very frustrating.
Hopefully you are able to get the sensor fixed somehow without having to replace the seat.
The polar opposite of "sustainability."

Had the same problem, the workaround is to open and shut the driver side door twice to turn off the middle console. Mine is still under warranty and parts are on order ( entire cushion/ seat). Scheduled a follow up appt to get it install on 1/25.. will update this post then.

I have this once in a while. When it happens, I just open the door and press my hand on the seat for a second. Then when I shut the door it realizes I’m gone. Frustrating, but not super frequent. I can also just press lock on the key if I’m out, or if I’m at home as soon as I press the button to open the charging port the car turns off.

We had a customer with this issue. That sensor is inside the seat. The customer didn’t want to replace the seat so we hooked up a older sensor removed the the sear bottom (oem seat where switch was visible) and used that as a workaround. Appears to be pretty reliable. Also explained to the customer that it’s not factory and don’t know how long this workaround will last. He seems to be pretty happy.

disclaimer. We are not responsible if anyone decides to do this. Please test at your own risk.

I've recently had the same/similar issue; the car going into park at slow speeds and MCU staying on after exiting the car.

Tesla said I needed a new seat base at a cost of circa £2500.

I took the seat out and found the location of the pressure sensor (circled red in pic). It's stuck to the base with adhesive.

I got the part number off the old sensor (1005424-00-A) and called Tesla to find they do in fact sell the sensor separately for £100.

I've now received and installed the new sensor. It comes preinstalled with an adhesive pad to attach to the seat base and there's just one plug to connect.

The car is now working perfectly.

IMG_1830.jpg IMG_1831 (2).jpg IMG_1833.jpg IMG_2192.jpg

I've recently had the same/similar issue; the car going into park at slow speeds and MCU staying on after exiting the car.

I took the seat out and found the location of the pressure sensor (circled red in pic). It's stuck to the base with adhesive.

I got the part number off the old sensor (1005424-00-A) and called Tesla to find they do in fact sell the sensor separately for £100.

I've now received and installed the new sensor. It comes preinstalled with an adhesive pad to attach to the seat base and there's just one plug to connect.

View attachment 636085 View attachment 636086 View attachment 636087 View attachment 636088

Thats great! Depends on the seat, some are accessible here, some newer ones are inside the cushion.

Isn’t it EVFIXME the same group that was charging people thousands of dollar to replace emmc...when Tesla price was $400....it just suck to see these guys take advantage of the situation

Luckily.. you can get the sensor from Tesla...I would not trust these vendors on this site...they all charge you the TESLA LUXURY TAX

Isn’t it EVFIXME the same group that was charging people thousands of dollar to replace emmc...when Tesla price was $400....it just suck to see these guys take advantage of the situation

Luckily.. you can get the sensor from Tesla...I would not trust these vendors on this site...they all charge you the TESLA LUXURY TAX

Hi Wratran you may be thinking about another group, our eMMC repair ranges from $600-$900 and generally has a completion time of a few days. We introduced our repair to the forum when Tesla was charging $2000 or more having people replace the entire MCU when the eMMC chip has failed. We are also the group that consolidated all the information for forum members to identify many of the symptoms of failure so the owner had enough information about their failed unit and did not have to pay Tesla a $195 diagnostic fee for a failed MCU. We are also letting owners know they can get the repair for free from Tesla, it's even the first line of the post.

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

I had this same issue. The sensor does in fact control the airbag deployment. It started by saying I wasn’t buckled. On and off. Then it didn’t know if I was in the car it not and wasn’t powering down one close door. Played all the games. Then I got the airbag off all the time. My car is still under the btb warranty so they replaced the entire harness suite under the car. It was like $1800 for that. Can you ask for that?

A bit off the topic, but(Wratran): I used EVFixMe to get my Tegra board emmc chip changed. Nothing but Great things to say about them and their service. Over the top support to get me going again, and my MCU1 is working great! Cost was reasonable and turn around pretty dang fast. My screen went dark a short time before all the latest recall discussion, making EVFixMe a tried and true route to repair.
Kaveman

Reactions: All In and EV-Fixme

View attachment 636085 View attachment 636086 View attachment 636087 View attachment 636088
Hi,
What were the 1st signs of failure? I've noticed it takes a while for the speedo area to wake up at the moment.

2020 Model Y - recently had intermittent Bluetooth auto-connect failure and now the screen stays dark when entering the vehicle and sitting in the driver’s seat. Tesla mobile service diagnosed most likely an occupant sensor problem. Now having to “shop” the vehicle at a service center for seat removal so that they can replace the sensor. The technician says it can be shop replaced on that side. The passenger side (if it fails) requires an entire seat replacement. I hope that never happens.