Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a refreshed LR, and for the last few weeks the driver seat sensor fails to detect that I have gotten off the seat, and when I exit the car it doesn't turn off, even when I manually lock it. So I have to open the driver door and close it again to make the car turn off. I only started noticing the issue after the software update that started causing the buzzing noise. I'm not sure if its a software issue, or the seat sensor died. If you look at the screen behind the yoke when this is happening it shows someone in the drivers seat without a seatbelt on.

The driver's seat sensor is very simple. But the wires are quite thin and it can fail electrically.
I can only explain the design, as I'm not certain what's going on in your particular situation.
The driver's seat sensor is a simple flat wire sensor that is glued to the top of the bottom seat pad's foam, and directly underneath the faux leather seat cover. The seat sensor wire is threaded through a hole in the seat bottom foam and with a special connector is then a very thin two wires. The thin two wires then goes to a very small connector. That connector is fragile and can become disconnected or intermittent. The wires are thin and could have a crack or break and become intermittent.
If it were my car, I would check that the connector is connected and in the support housing.
The best way is to remove the seat back metal rails from the floor by removing the four bolts. They are T-45. Then you can rock the seat back and get really good access to the seat bottom and the connector.
If you are uncomfortable pulling bolts, then move the seat back and up as much as possible. With a flashlight look for a very small two wire connector attached to a fastener underneath the seat. It might be loose or pulled out entirely.

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually finally heard back from Tesla about the issue. There is a sensor that is attached to the brake pedal that turns on the car when the brake is touched. My sensor is reading as brake pedal being pushed even after I exit the car causing it to remain on. They said its a simple adjustment they need to make to the sensor, will report back after I have it fixed.

Reactions: Georgesb2
They replaced the sensor, but the issue still persists. It's quite frustrating that they have attempted twice to fix it but can't. I reached out to SC again and they are basically saying just drop the car off again, but they don't have any other theories on what it can be. Regarding the seat sensor itself, Tesla is claiming that its operating correctly. Another odd thing that I have noticed is the issue only happens to me, when my wife drives the car, it turns off as soon as she opens the drivers side door.

My model S 2016 also don't auto Power off on exit. Both displays remain on. I need to manually Power Off in Safety Menu. I'm recently on v2022.8.10.8.
What buzzing noise are you talking about?
I also have a sort of rumble, just like the sound when a rear window is open. It only occures at speeds above 55mph / 90kmh.

After a months long battle with Tesla, they finally replaced my seat sensor, and that was the root of the issue. I provided so much proof that the issue was the seat sensor from the beginning, its pretty frustrating.
That is interesting that the seat sensor failed.
On the driver's side I bet it was connector or wiring failure or intermittent.
Your wife is magical!
Glad you figured it out.

It was actually a timing issue, if the seat sensor didn't detect that I wasn't sitting on the seat before I closed the door, then the car would remain on. After they changed the sensor the car recognizes I'm not on the seat immediately, so it was definitely a faulty sensor.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj