Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seat Stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 that is 1.5 years old. At delivery the driver seat rear panel was loose and noted at inspection. A home service call popped it back into place but that did not last long, I guess the coupling sites were loose. A few months later, I experienced an additional problem - seat will not go forward or backward, all other directional movements work. You can hear it click and the car "thinks" the seat position changed because it offers the option to save the new setting on the screen. Fortunately, I routinely keep it set all the way back where it is stuck, so not an immediate problem.

I took it to Marietta GA Service Center (192 miles) and they replaced the seat which fixed both issues. The next day, it was stuck and not working again. I then had a home service call and the fellow said he re-calibrated the seat with his laptop. Again, it worked for a day and then back to not.

I went back to the Marietta Service Center again last week and they again replaced the seat. They told me they discovered the tracks were not exactly parallel and so the seat locked up (got stuck) when it went all the way back. They apologized for not discovering that on my first Marietta visit. It worked on the drive home but the day after, it quit again.

I rebooted (simple reboot) the car prior to the first Marietta visit and will do that again. Anyone else experienced this issue and found a fix?

.....I rebooted (simple reboot) the car prior to the first Marietta visit and will do that again. Anyone else experienced this issue and found a fix?
Coincidentally live in ATL and had this happen (stopped going backward and forward) on my 1.5 year old 3 about 6 months ago. Took mine to Decatur service (live in Atlantic Station) and was told they would have to replace seat and take 2 days. Texted me the next day it was ready and just needed adjustments (???). Never got a full explanation since it was VERY social distancing at the time and never was in talking distance of a person. Mine has worked fine since then.

Last edited:
Coincidentally live in ATL and had this happen (stopped going backward and forward) on my 1.5 year old 3 about 6 months ago. Took mine to Decatur service (live in Atlantic Station) and was told they would have to replace seat and take 2 days. Texted me the next day it was ready and just needed adjustments (???). Never got a full explanation since it was VERY social distancing at the time and never was in talking distance of a person. Mine has worked fine since then.
Since this post, I’ve gone back to Decatur SC and they replaced the seat again, they said it was “second generation” or some such compared to the first replacement seat.It worked for about a week then back to intermittent, then stopped working. I asked for a call before returning for a fourth Atlanta visit. A nice guy called me and I mentioned that (prior to completely stopping) the seat goes back to a first “stop” and then goes to a second stop at about 2 additional inches when I re-engage the switch. Without going into a lot of details, it’s looking like tall people who set the seat all the way back may discover a design flaw in which the seat is set to go back to the first stop but then erroneously continues with the second short segment where it is prone to get stuck. After a week of not working, with daily checks, and just after the discussion with the service tech, the seat actually moved forward and I have been very careful not to attempt the second segment and it has been working fine. Of course, I am paranoid that it will get stuck if I forget it any other driver does not know this approach. Time will tell!