Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat track/rail extensions for tall drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm enjoying the performance of my 2021 Model Y, but I'm 6'5", have a 36" inseam, and weigh in the upper 200's, and am finding the fit in the driver's seat a little snug. I've tried various combinations of having the seat back, lowered, raised, etc., but can't get my legs stretched out enough to not be in pain when I drive for more than 10 minutes.

Has anyone here modified/extended the rails/tracks for the driver seat to reposition the seat farther back to gain more legroom? There is a product that does this, but it's only available for a limited number of makes/models: ExtendmySeat.com

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to bolt an extended piece of metal in place of the existing rails/tracks, and then bolt the seat farther back on the extended mount. Anybody done this, or know of a shop in Southern California that does this sort of thing?

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
What other cars have you driven? I’m also 6’5” with a 36” inseam and the MY is about as comfortable as I’ve found.

One problem with the brackets you mentioned - they move the seat back, but the steering wheel won’t move any further out, so you may find yourself reaching more for the steering wheel.

What other cars have you driven? I’m also 6’5” with a 36” inseam and the MY is about as comfortable as I’ve found.

One problem with the brackets you mentioned - they move the seat back, but the steering wheel won’t move any further out, so you may find yourself reaching more for the steering wheel.
Mostly SUVs before, so the seat has been higher to give me more room. Good point about the steering wheel. Luckily I have 39/40 sleeves, so should still be able to reach.

Mostly SUVs before, so the seat has been higher to give me more room. Good point about the steering wheel. Luckily I have 39/40 sleeves, so should still be able to reach.
I’m your height but I have tyrannosaurus arms compared to yours. I’d like an extra inch or so of travel but it’s close enough I just live with it. E38 BMW was the only car I ever owned that had enough adjustment I didn’t run it to full stop rearward and up, just used to being outside the design spec. I bet you have a great time shopping for dinner jackets…

Allow me to cross post this, as this is a more appropriate forum for my concern:

I am only 6'2" but I have a bum left knee and I am a lot happier if that leg can be straight when driving; not bent at all. I knew I might have a problem, but I was hoping that I might be ok with adjusting the seat controls or perhaps taking out the dead pedal. So far that has not worked out for me. Is it possible that the whole seat can be re-tooled to go back a few inches? I only received the car on December 6th, but this might be a deal killer for me. I put my original deposit down in June 2021 so I will not be faced with a loss. It is an incredible car.

Allow me to cross post this, as this is a more appropriate forum for my concern:

I am only 6'2" but I have a bum left knee and I am a lot happier if that leg can be straight when driving; not bent at all. I knew I might have a problem, but I was hoping that I might be ok with adjusting the seat controls or perhaps taking out the dead pedal. So far that has not worked out for me. Is it possible that the whole seat can be re-tooled to go back a few inches? I only received the car on December 6th, but this might be a deal killer for me. I put my original deposit down in June 2021 so I will not be faced with a loss. It is an incredible car.
Have the believe anything is possible here with a touch of fab work. There is plenty of room behind the driver seat. Trouble is a lot of shops won’t touch it because they don’t want to be liable if you smack your head on the rear glass instead of the nice soft airbag as Tesla intended. How are your welding skills?

Reactions: pvdoug
I am 6'6" 240lbs zero issues feeling comfortable in my model Y. I can even sit behind the seat with it in the position of me driving. To each his own... for those tall folks reading this that may be buying one it is fine for most.
6'10" 265 Y owner. I'm not slightly fat, but could use some rail extensions. Did this via extendmyseat.com for two other cars.

Anoyone have any luck getting these seat extenders? I'd like to ideally raise the front of my seat as well to angle my right leg above the center console monstrosity. Unfortunately raising the seat using the seat motor also pushes the driver towards the steering wheel and also rotated the seat towards the front reducing the leg and knee room more.

I so badly want to just rip out the center console and cut the bottom 6 inches off so it sits an inch or 2 below my driver seat so I can have room to extend my leg over the center console freely.

superReduced.jpg

• Love
Had a hell of a time getting the picture down from 4 megs to less than 164k.
Basnor seat cover droops I put the zero g pillow on it works pretty good.
I can get comfortable on long trips with this.
basnor cover was 44 bucks the zero g pillow I had lying around.
strapped and velcroed in place.

Had a hell of a time getting the picture down from 4 megs to less than 164k.
Basnor seat cover droops I put the zero g pillow on it works pretty good.
I can get comfortable on long trips with this.
basnor cover was 44 bucks the zero g pillow I had lying around.
strapped and velcroed in place.
Looks pretty good, can you send the links to all of what you got here? Thanks.