Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Seatbelts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I searched the forum but did not see another thread about seatbelts.
Whenever my wife drives the car, she complains about the seat belt digging into her neck area while driving. She is 5' 9" and has her seat elevated and closer to the steering wheel. For comparison, in her Camry the seat belt goes diagonally across her shoulder/chest without pushing on the side of her neck. We tried several seat combinations including sliding the B pillar belt rail up and down a few notches but its no better.

I am 5' 11' with longer legs so my seat profile is way further back and lower - so this does not bother me at all.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Hello all,

I searched the forum but did not see another thread about seatbelts.
Whenever my wife drives the car, she complains about the seat belt digging into her neck area while driving. She is 5' 9" and has her seat elevated and closer to the steering wheel. For comparison, in her Camry the seat belt goes diagonally across her shoulder/chest without pushing on the side of her neck. We tried several seat combinations including sliding the B pillar belt rail up and down a few notches but its no better.

I am 5' 11' with longer legs so my seat profile is way further back and lower - so this does not bother me at all.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yep, it bugs me too.

Noticed the same issue on my MY test drive before finalizing my order (5'6" or so). Didn't bother me in my M3 test drive, but noticeable in the MY. I even encountered this on my test drive of a BMW X3 and it doesn't have adjustable belts.

Not sure if this would solve the problem but found this at Amazon and I might need it once my MY arrives.

Reactions: Watts_Up
This seems to plague newer cars I've had since the mid 2000's without height-adjustable seat belts. Seems like the manufacturers need to bring the shoulder belt inboard enough to cover a broad range of driver and seat heights that the result is the shoulder belt rubs against your neck. I find it annoying, but this is not my first car to have this issue. The only way around this from the manufacturer is to include the height adjuster. Sad that a vehicle in this price range doesn't have height adjustable seat belts. I honesty never even thought to look if they did or didn't, as I've taken this for granted in my 'nicer' cars for the past 20 years...but then again, my modern Beetles have had it, and my old Eurovan does, too. Just another penny saved, I guess.

Noticed the same issue on my MY test drive before finalizing my order (5'6" or so). Didn't bother me in my M3 test drive, but noticeable in the MY. I even encountered this on my test drive of a BMW X3 and it doesn't have adjustable belts.

Not sure if this would solve the problem but found this at Amazon and I might need it once my MY arrives.

Curious...never used one, but wonder how it really affects the function of the seat belt. I can't imagine the design compensated for this.

My wife is 5'0" and the seat belt hits her on the neck which we feel is a safety issue. In an accident the belt would be pulling on her neck. We got some of the Amazon, ILIVABLE Seatbelt Adjuster Vehicle Seat Belt Covers (link above) and they are working well. We also tried some more robust metal clips previously and they did not turn out to work very well.

Reactions: CO_MY
Just confirming, but have you all adjusted the height of the seat belt, and did it help?
71982627-C065-433B-9D34-F0CC987C5EE0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

We just ended up getting this for the wife. Still provides good bracing for chest during hard stops and stops the belt from pressing into the neck. I dont know else anyone can do.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY and jmatero
Even the lowest setting for the belt is too high and cuts into the neck. I suspect that folks under, say, 5'9" have the belt and the seat in their lowest positions (like me). The only way I've been able to reduce this is by raising the driver's seat and moving it back as far as possible to still reach the pedals. Definitely needs a rework.