Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver side dash rattle when hot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would share my solution for a nagging rattle I've had for months. I would notice that if my car was sitting under the sun for a period of time, I would get this rattle coming from the driver side dash area. At first, I assumed it was some thermal expansion/contraction as I would have the AC pumping and it would usually go away after a few minutes. But over time it became increasingly annoying. Having already DIY fixed about 4-5 other rattles in my car, I decided it was time to fix this one as well.
I thought the rattle was coming from the dash, between the vent and the speaker grill - but it was actually the entire corner of the dash under the speaker. When I would press down on the grill and tap the dash, the rattle was gone. I thought about removing the speaker and digging deeper into the dash unit to see what the cause was - but then decided to try a simple fix first.

Here's how I saved my sanity: (there are plenty of youtube videos on how to accomplish each step)
--remove the dash trim
--remove driver side A pillar
--pop up the drive side speaker grill (no need to remove the entire grill)
--I used 3 cable ties connected to each other and wrapped them around the 2 clips (circled in red in the photo). The smaller red circle is actually the cutout of the speaker grill where the A pillar attach's to. The larger red circle is the metal clip where the A pillar sits in.
-- I tightened the cable tie just tight enough to provide a little down force on that corner of the dash under the grill.

And that's it. A pillar fit back on without issue. All in all, took me about 15 minutes once I decided to use cable ties.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 411
I have this exact same issue and thought I best do a search before posting and voila! Found this post.

I did the exact same troubleshooting you did in order to isolate where the noise was coming from, so am confident we have identical issues. Off to you tube to see how to now not bust anything up taking it apart!

A side note of input from me on this - my car went into Tesla for other things recently and I mentioned this rattle, and even went out with the service manager so I could show them the noise and my diagnosis. Did they fix the issue - nope! Want something minor sorted with your Tesla, then you're best figuring it out yourself, but now I'm going off into a whole separate topic :mad::eek::)

I have this exact same issue and thought I best do a search before posting and voila! Found this post.

I did the exact same troubleshooting you did in order to isolate where the noise was coming from, so am confident we have identical issues. Off to you tube to see how to now not bust anything up taking it apart!

A side note of input from me on this - my car went into Tesla for other things recently and I mentioned this rattle, and even went out with the service manager so I could show them the noise and my diagnosis. Did they fix the issue - nope! Want something minor sorted with your Tesla, then you're best figuring it out yourself, but now I'm going off into a whole separate topic :mad::eek::)

I have a mobile tech coming out for rattle issue by the front console area. I will mention this as an option...