Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver-Side door air leak on new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y built in December 2022 at Fremont. I am in the midwest where temperatures have been ~0-30 degrees F recently. My left arm has always gotten chilly when driving, but I thought it was a lack of heat/airflow to that side of the car.

Today, while driving on the Interstate at 85mph (the speed limit is 80 here but everyone goes 85) I finally found out why it is so cold in that area. The area at the far rear of the window sill between the door and pillar is leaking air into the cabin from outside. It is NOT coming from the window seal or window.

Has any one else experienced this?

I have a 2023 Model Y built in December 2022 at Fremont. I am in the midwest where temperatures have been ~0-30 degrees F recently. My left arm has always gotten chilly when driving, but I thought it was a lack of heat/airflow to that side of the car.

Today, while driving on the Interstate at 85mph (the speed limit is 80 here but everyone goes 85) I finally found out why it is so cold in that area. The area at the far rear of the window sill between the door and pillar is leaking air into the cabin from outside. It is NOT coming from the window seal or window.

Has any one else experienced this?
I have exact same issue with 23MY performance.
Brougt to Michigan service center and answer was "it is normal for framess door."

I have exact same issue with 23MY performance.
Brougt to Michigan service center and answer was "it is normal for framess door."
While I agree that frameless doors are more apt to leak, in this particular case it's BS. The car is brand new, and on mine, it's not even coming from where the window meets the door seal. It's coming from somewhere below the on one of the three sides below the window (front, bottom or rear) and getting channeled up by air pressure to come out at the rear of the window sill between the sill and the frame.

I also have a Fremont build 2023 MYP and noticed it gets cold on the driver side as well. I feel a breeze on my neck in windy areas and when big trucks drive past me in the left lane. There are no panel gaps, and nothing leaks in when it is raining. I noticed the middle pillar seems to be very cold. I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from exactly, but I'm guessing somehow it might be coming through this tiny circular hole where the top of the seat belt is located? I'm not sure though.

Just came in to SC with same issue.
July 2022 Fremont MYLR.
I can exactly locate where air is leaking, a hole that holds a seat belt on b pillar and a small gap between b pillar and door. Air draft can be felt at highway speed when large truck or bus passes by.
Confirmed with SC tech he can feel the air draft.
I also found out you can manipulate the airdraft by slight opening the passenger window to ~1inch. Strong air draft can be felt from both part.
We took new MY for test drive if he can observe the same issues with other cars. This car also made same airdraft issue. He thinks this may happend to all cars except who have noticed are the sensitive ones.
He says airdraft is made by care with 'flap' to normalize the pressure inside the car.
Manipulation of air draft by opening other side window is orobably due to the hollow frame that are connected through the side of car, but he couldn't explain about air draft made at door side. He says frameless doors aren't 100% sealed and quality of Tesla is still behind other automakers thus may cause such air draft at specific situation but not in normal situation.
This is everything I heard from a tech after test driving ~20min with 2 different cars.
I guess there aren't any solution to fix unless their quality improves.

PS. For those who notice such air drafts, what height are you? Are you considered to be a taller person? a tall person ( > 6") tends to adjust seat further to steering wheel which makes closer to seat belt holder and end of the door where air draft is happening. Could this make only certain people notice this issue? Im 6"0 and my heat rest just between b pillar and driver window.

Attachments

• 98A6263F-1472-437A-BCC6-72B6DEEB8FC4.jpeg
    98A6263F-1472-437A-BCC6-72B6DEEB8FC4.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 1,519
  • 570BA741-DD62-413F-9156-03A418A0A3EC.jpeg
    570BA741-DD62-413F-9156-03A418A0A3EC.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 403
Just came in to SC with same issue.
July 2022 Fremont MYLR.
I can exactly locate where air is leaking, a hole that holds a seat belt on b pillar and a small gap between b pillar and door. Air draft can be felt at highway speed when large truck or bus passes by.
Confirmed with SC tech he can feel the air draft.
I also found out you can manipulate the airdraft by slight opening the passenger window to ~1inch. Strong air draft can be felt from both part.
We took new MY for test drive if he can observe the same issues with other cars. This car also made same airdraft issue. He thinks this may happend to all cars except who have noticed are the sensitive ones.
He says airdraft is made by care with 'flap' to normalize the pressure inside the car.
Manipulation of air draft by opening other side window is orobably due to the hollow frame that are connected through the side of car, but he couldn't explain about air draft made at door side. He says frameless doors aren't 100% sealed and quality of Tesla is still behind other automakers thus may cause such air draft at specific situation but not in normal situation.
This is everything I heard from a tech after test driving ~20min with 2 different cars.
I guess there aren't any solution to fix unless their quality improves.

PS. For those who notice such air drafts, what height are you? Are you considered to be a taller person? a tall person ( > 6") tends to adjust seat further to steering wheel which makes closer to seat belt holder and end of the door where air draft is happening. Could this make only certain people notice this issue? Im 6"0 and my heat rest just between b pillar and driver window.
The first photo is exactly where mine is leaking air as well. Have not felt it thru the seatbelt mount, but I'm not tall.

I took delivery Friday 23 MYLR MSM Induction from Fremont and my back left door glass is loose and something is rattling inside like a roller or holding clip is missing from the regulator. The window is loose and it lays lazily against the seal and causes a ripping air noise.

Service is Feb 8th so far.

My 2023 model y driver side getting cold freeway speed. Upon inspection found bad misalignment at seals front and rear door. Wouldn’t surprise me if everyone else having same issue. Pics taken with doors fully closed.
BF111410-5353-4BDE-8121-D68EF98AD160.jpeg
0616C9E5-083F-4B10-9F18-1D22AEC12A42.jpeg

Hi

I have not updates my status after my visit to SC. So after conversation with engineer, he said that there isn't anything they could do. But I found that my drivers door was bit misaligned to b pillar or rear door. I asked if he can aligned the door and initially mentioned that this is within the spec and should be fine, but he said he will give it a try if this can resolve the issue. He did adjusted the front driver side door little inward for me.
And been driving for weeks and had numerous time of situation when I typically felt the air draft, not sure if it is placebo, but I do feel less wind draft or no draft at all.
I think this should be something to try out.

Attachments

• 05253CF6-2583-4808-8174-D7EA415AED38.jpeg
    05253CF6-2583-4808-8174-D7EA415AED38.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 345
  • E6E3467C-A593-4F7B-B212-DA54501D8EDF.jpeg
    E6E3467C-A593-4F7B-B212-DA54501D8EDF.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 15315458-B58A-45EE-944A-117231EB5766.jpeg
    15315458-B58A-45EE-944A-117231EB5766.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 330
  • CAFB5ED5-1E1B-4ABA-9930-1C0B58859A98.jpeg
    CAFB5ED5-1E1B-4ABA-9930-1C0B58859A98.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 392
Ohh this explains a lot! I have same alignment issue like you do. When I first found misalignment my SC told me flat 'within spec' and when pressed 'impossible to adjust', well when I presented service manual 'we'll likely **** up other alignment when adjusting it'.

I left as is, as it didn't present any functional problem, but now I know it's a potential cause of my cold feet (literally) issue!

Time to break out my mechanics toolset!

Edit; I'm trying to quote 'skim04c' 's posting, but it's not working, weird.

Ohh this explains a lot! I have same alignment issue like you do. When I first found misalignment my SC told me flat 'within spec' and when pressed 'impossible to adjust', well when I presented service manual 'we'll likely **** up other alignment when adjusting it'.

I left as is, as it didn't present any functional problem, but now I know it's a potential cause of my cold feet (literally) issue!

Time to break out my mechanics toolset!

Edit; I'm trying to quote 'skim04c' 's posting, but it's not working, weird.
Tesla certified body shops supposedly have machine that holds the door while adjustments are made. When researching this I found that the SC were sending folks to Tesla certified body shop and that the adjustment took minimal time to complete.

One should be able to check the seal fairly easily I would think. Shove a sheet of paper in there and see if you can pull it out with door closed. How are you folks snapping pictures of the seal like that?

Tesla certified body shops supposedly have machine that holds the door while adjustments are made. When researching this I found that the SC were sending folks to Tesla certified body shop and that the adjustment took minimal time to complete.

One should be able to check the seal fairly easily I would think. Shove a sheet of paper in there and see if you can pull it out with door closed. How are you folks snapping pictures of the seal like that?
EF38BB05-8609-4176-875E-EA400799AC4A.jpeg

I think I found the issue. Didn't even have to look hard, on number of locations my door seal is either barely making a contact or coming off because its not touching anything.
Going to do more extensive investigation this weekend. This is really disappointing..

Reactions: 240vPlug
I just picked up my 23 MYLR Fremont build yesterday and on the way home I noticed excessive wind/road noise coming from the front passenger window/door. It sounds like the window is down but it’s not. I put in a service ticket as soon as I got home. Glad to see I’m not the only one with the issue.