Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side door mirrors - limited external view?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driver side door mirror doesn’t move outwards as much as the passenger side.
I can’t get ‘rid’ of part of the car, and I can’t work out if this is the limit of normal movement, or a fault with the mirror?
The picture show the maximum I can rotate outwards.
7E8E9DCC-A33A-4DC7-B27E-5B11BF1DF151.jpeg

It's something I noticed whenI collected mine so I asked to sit in another Model 3 there to see if it was the same in all of them. It was.

There are replacement mirrors being sold which give a wider view which you might want to consider, but if you put the rear camera on the screen it will give you more coverage too.

I have a similar issue on both sides. I am tall. I like the mirrors set precisely for the blind spot. I don’t need to see the side of my own car, I am not going to get hit by that. We have a good sized driveway, and two other vehicles. So I position a vehicle in my blind spot, then adjust the mirrors to perfectly see the vehicle. Tesla is the first vehicle I cannot get exactly where I want. When out as far as I want it, I can’t get the needed height.

Same thing here. I noticed right away the drivers side mirror does not point out far enough.

It does point directly into the door if you want though. Tesla thought we wanted to look at the door more than the blind spot to your left.

Reactions: Kmartyn
I have an X and I am able to turn the mirror so I only see traffic and not the car body. But I have noticed what I see in your picture which you didn't mention, the fact that the housing of the passenger side mirror cuts off part of the mirror. This is worse viewed from the driver's seat and equivalent to the reduction in usable mirror you are talking about. It's odd they would make a mirror with a mechanical obstruction like that. But then these cars are not very good for unobstructed views. The X has large blind spots looking over your shoulders.

Reactions: Cwmwd
I have an X and I am able to turn the mirror so I only see traffic and not the car body. But I have noticed what I see in your picture which you didn't mention, the fact that the housing of the passenger side mirror cuts off part of the mirror. This is worse viewed from the driver's seat and equivalent to the reduction in usable mirror you are talking about. It's odd they would make a mirror with a mechanical obstruction like that. But then these cars are not very good for unobstructed views. The X has large blind spots looking over your shoulders.
Yep, same on mine

My driver side door mirror doesn’t move outwards as much as the passenger side.
I can’t get ‘rid’ of part of the car, and I can’t work out if this is the limit of normal movement, or a fault with the mirror?

I can adjust my RHS door mirror perfectly to see the blind spot when sat in the passenger seat. So it looks like the UK Model 3 has door mirrors designed for LHD cars that don't work over here.

I can forgive Tesla for a lot of things but door mirrors that don't see the blind spot are going to get somebody killed.

Has anyone complained to Tesla about the door mirrors ?
Did Tesla do anything to fix it?
Has anyone reported this to DVSA as a safety defect?

Reactions: GoTLSAGo and Jez_GB
I can adjust my RHS door mirror perfectly to see the blind spot when sat in the passenger seat. So it looks like the UK Model 3 has door mirrors designed for LHD cars that don't work over here.

I can forgive Tesla for a lot of things but door mirrors that don't see the blind spot are going to get somebody killed.

Has anyone complained to Tesla about the door mirrors ?
Did Tesla do anything to fix it?
Has anyone reported this to DVSA as a safety defect?
That is an extremely interesting observation. You now have me wondering if indeed this the the result of building our RHD cars without corresponding modifications to the wing mirrors?

Reactions: Jez_GB
It has nothing to do with uk or USA models. The mirrors just don't point out far enough.

When you sit in the car whatever side is further seems to be far enough because the viewing angle already greater. The mirrors on both sides move the same distance. When you are closer to the mirror it needs to be angled more obviously and there is no more travel.

There are a lot of forum posts about this. Someone needs to tweet it to Elon.

Reactions: curmudgeon
My passenger side mirror moves plenty and allows a good view of the road and not the car . However the drivers side does not seem to move at all , is this normal ???

Yes it looks like they are all like this. It's not good enough.

I'm a shorty yet I still need to angle the driver's mirror down to get it to angle out. But then the horizon is two-thirds up the mirror, when it should be in the middle.

The ony way Telsa are going to fix this is by submitting a safefty defect report to DVSA, expressing concern that it is a safety defect that presents a serious risk to road safety because the blind spot is obscured. If DVSA get a dozen or so reports then they will get on to Tesla about it who may then be forced to issue a recall and sort it out. Manufacturers really don't like it when DVSA contact them, they have sweeping enforcement powers, but you can submit a defect report with anonymity from the manufacturer.

If unhappy that Tesla have done nothing about this then you can escalate it to DVSA here: Vehicle recalls and faults

Reactions: Jez_GB
Interesting. Haven’t had a test drive yet so will look out for this. It’s one thing I like in my 3 series, the way the wing mirrors cover all the way through to the nose of the passing car being visible alongside my drivers window (the convex/aspherical shape helps a lot too).