Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got delivery of my Model X 60D today a few hours ago.
Love the car but found a problem with the driver side falcon wing door hinge snapping when the door opens next to something in close proximity (like a car or trash can).

It has caused some area of damage on the side of the door at the spot it rubs when opening.
Obviously I am sad about this and contacted tesla service but will find out tomorrow if this is an easy fix.

Here's a video of it happening.
Has anyone had this issue?

I just got delivery of my Model X 60D today a few hours ago.
Love the car but found a problem with the driver side falcon wing door hinge snapping when the door opens next to something in close proximity (like a car or trash can).

It has caused some area of damage on the side of the door at the spot it rubs when opening.
Obviously I am sad about this and contacted tesla service but will find out tomorrow if this is an easy fix.

Here's a video of it happening.
Has anyone had this issue?

Yes, I had experienced the similar snapping noise parked in a tight spot at driver's side FWD about two weeks ago at less than 500 miles. I told SC about it when I left MX with several issues (fits and finish, body damage, electrical and mechanical, etc..).. SC couldn't replicate the snapping noise, though service rep told me they need to replace 2 glass roof windows on FWD. I have no idea how that came about, but will soon find out when I pick up my MX from SC.

Did they give you a loaner car to use and how long did it take to get fixed?

Yes they did give me a MS loaner. However, NO luck on fixes as SC said parts are on order, but no ETA available. So I am picking up my vehicle without a FWD fix. I had several issues that needed to be fixed and will find out how many of them are truly done when I pick up MX soon.

Sure. Let me try and size it right. I watched the video again and it actually might be different. The doors look like they're jerking open like it's caught on something inside the door for a second. Mine is smooth, just a plastic piece that bends weird.

UPDATE: I got a call from my service center, and was told that this is a known problem.
A part needs to be ordered, which will take about 10 days to get, and then they will call me to repair it.
They said it should take about 1 day to fix. Hopefully they will get this soon, because i'm afraid that the clicking might break something in the window!

Thanks for posting your video.
I think my FWD snap issue is different than the hinge snap that you are showing. (Mine occurs when opening and yours happens during closing)
Mine actually rubs against the side of the silver window edge when it is opening at a narrow angle.

I hope my serviceman figured this out when seeing my video because he didn't even want to take a look at the door in person, and said he needed to order a part.

Last edited:
I had a very similar issue that occurred when I was inspecting my X during delivery yesterday. Long story short, it recurred again in my garage after the techs fixed it, but this time it bent the silver trim behind the door, and now my X is getting picked up monday for service.

I had a very similar issue that occurred when I was inspecting my X during delivery yesterday. Long story short, it recurred again in my garage after the techs fixed it, but this time it bent the silver trim behind the door, and now my X is getting picked up monday for service.

Let me know what they end up doing and how long the repair takes. I'll update what happens to mine once the part that is ordered comes in.
Does your clicking occur only when opening the door? And does it occur during normal opening, or only when there is an obstacle nearby and opens at an more acute angle (like my issue)?

Same as mine. Happened once I drove outside the delivery center. Delivery manager took it back.

Attachments

• IMG_6022.JPG
    IMG_6022.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 715
  • Informative
Reactions: nuevodesi
Yep, that's the same thing that happened to me, except passenger side FWD. Door got stuck on the first opening during inspection in the delivery bay, which had a high ceiling, but somewhat narrow clearance. They "adjusted" it while I waited. Then it snapped when I opened it again just outside the delivery bay, where there were no obstacles. They took it back and "adjusted" it again. Finally, when I opened it in my garage at home with limited height and side clearance, it caught the trim and bent it. Also, the trim ripped a tear in the FWD gasket on the side.