Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side handle making odd noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My handle got stuck out last night and this morning I decided to pull the fuse for the front handles (F233). After resetting the handles all seemed to work well until I got this noise and the handle got stuck in the outward position again.

I called it into service, but if anyone can tell me a quick fix and not waste a ranger's time, it would be appreciated. :)

Here is a video after resetting the handles.

In the beginning all is well, but when the car pulls all the handles in, things get weird. Forward to 1:13 mark for weird sounds.

20180422_113419.mp4

Download the video for best picture

Update: the handle no longer stays out, but makes odd noises and does not open the door. the handle keeps going in and out now when the door is left open, but not when driving

My handle got stuck out last night and this morning I decided to pull the fuse for the front handles (F233). After resetting the handles all seemed to work well until I got this noise and the handle got stuck in the outward position again.

I called it into service, but if anyone can tell me a quick fix and not waste a ranger's time, it would be appreciated. :)

In the beginning all is well, but when the car pulls all the handles in, things get weird. Forward to 1:13 mark for weird sounds.

20180422_113419.mp4

Update: the handle no longer stays out, but makes odd noises and does not open the door. the handle keeps going in and out now when the door is left open, but not when driving

It might be the Pivot / paddle gear a 0.75 cent part, but more likely the microswitch assembly wires a $23 part or you can just solder the connection.

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

how to fix it video #109 and narrative #137 once completed pat yourself on the back you just saved $1300...

Last edited:
Reactions: silverp85+
I have performed two switchplasties and pivotplasties over 6 years of contiquous ownership on 3 Model S's (P85, P85+, 90D) Once you get the door handle assembly out of the car it is really easy. Be glad its not one of the rear doors they are very tight and require some higher level of surgical skills. :rolleyes: The trick is to retract the chrome handle into the assembly with a torX screw before moving to prevent scratching and add blue painters tape to further protect the chrome handle... Also if you want to add the LED light pick that up at Tesla too - its really easy to add.

20180422_113419.mp4

I had a similar problem with my passenger front door. Could not open from the outside when presented and made grinding sound. Snapped back in when trying to pull open. I had a ranger come out and he identified the handle was out of alianment. Took about 20 minutes to fix. No parts were replaced.

Yes. I have a 2013 Model S. Mine presented at first but wouldn’t activate to open the door. Now it doesn’t present at all. But now I have a constant quiet machine like noise that goes 24/7 even when the car is off. Constantly draining the battery. It’s not good. Next service availability was ten days. My wife opens the door from the inside for me haha.