Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side mirror does not fully adjust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MY 75,xxx today and everything seems to be good so far...
The driver side mirror does not adjust far enough to eliminate blind spots. Passenger side is fine. Is this normal? I am 5'8 btw.

I'm guessing there's an issue with the mirror. Your height would not have any affect unless it's a vertical adjustment you are missing. I would think for blind spot it would be horizontal. MY will adjust further than I need so again, probably issue that service should check.

Reactions: beachmiles
What if you move the seat?

Yeah.

If you are tall (or raise the seat high), it is not possible to tilt the driver side mirror outward enough to cover the blind spot.

I have found that if I lower the seat more than I would prefer, I am able to tilt the mirror outward enough to barely cover the blind spot.

At a loss as to what to do about this. Requested service from the sales team, but am afraid a replacement will be identical.

Same issue with a friend's 75xxx MY picked up today in Toronto (I was there for moral support). Delivery advisor said a few others delivered that day had the same thing. He claimed that it was normal, and it was because of the shape of the mirror in the housing. Complete nonsense, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: X-Chris
I have model Y LR picked up dec 7 and serial number 77k. I am 6’6” and couldn’t adjust the drivers mirror to go up and out enough, but the passenger mirror is fine. Took it into the Tesla Peabody service center yesterday and they were able to fix it. They said there was a trim tab that hadn’t been removed. Something about European vs US market. Anyway, it’s working great now. Hope this helps other vertically challenged Tesla drivers out there.

I have model Y LR picked up dec 7 and serial number 77k. I am 6’6” and couldn’t adjust the drivers mirror to go up and out enough, but the passenger mirror is fine. Took it into the Tesla Peabody service center yesterday and they were able to fix it. They said there was a trim tab that hadn’t been removed. Something about European vs US market. Anyway, it’s working great now. Hope this helps other vertically challenged Tesla drivers out there.
I'm 5'5" and I have the same issue. It really depends where you put your seat.

I believe this thread on Reddit describes the issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/kjjz9p/model_y_mirror_psa/

I can confirm that this is an easy fix. If you have a small pair of side cutters you can do this yourself in 30 seconds. There are three small plastic tabs about 3/16 wide x 3/8 deep that project towards the rear of the car on the left side of the mirror backing. Simply adjust the mirror to the right all the way, then reach in with your side cutters and clip them off. Mirror can now easily be adjusted to the left and up.

• Informative
I can confirm that this is an easy fix. If you have a small pair of side cutters you can do this yourself in 30 seconds. There are three small plastic tabs about 3/16 wide x 3/8 deep that project towards the rear of the car on the left side of the mirror backing. Simply adjust the mirror to the right all the way, then reach in with your side cutters and clip them off. Mirror can now easily be adjusted to the left and up.
Can you do a video of this please? :)))))