Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Tail Light has fog/condensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Got our first rain last night and this morning the driver side Tail Light shows fog/condensation inside the housing of the light.
I've seen this in the forum on early models, this is worth a service visit I guess, anybody else has had that issue lately?
Thanks!

condensation.jpg

I'm not certain but I think the tail lights on the 3 are vented to the outside air. It would make fogging more likely temporarily but also can go away on its own.

It could be, but it's been 3 days (not much sun) and it seems to only get worse. Tesla roadside has taken note and said it might be done with a ranger visit.

I anyway got a screw in my tire and will have to visit the service center Monday to swap out the loaner wheel they installed on my car...

Is there a cliff notes (Text) version for those of us who are not interested in watching a video on foggy lights?

Yes, all modern cars with LED lights instead of incandescent light bulbs have this problem. You can go through a lot of trouble removing the lights, and placing them under water to find the leaks, and then sealing around the edges of the light. Or, just don't worry about it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yes, all modern cars with LED lights instead of incandescent light bulbs have this problem. You can go through a lot of trouble removing the lights, and placing them under water to find the leaks, and then sealing around the edges of the light. Or, just don't worry about it.

Thats informative, but @Resist bumped this over 2 year old thread, saying "its not normal" and posted a video which I would presume has some explanation for why "its not normal". I figured if they (@Resist) wanted to bump a 2 year old thread to make a point, they might also be willing to say what they found not normal enough to bump this thread from 2 years ago, without us having to watch a video on the topic.

Thats informative, but @Resist bumped this over 2 year old thread, saying "its not normal" and posted a video which I would presume has some explanation for why "its not normal". I figured if they (@Resist) wanted to bump a 2 year old thread to make a point, they might also be willing to say what they found not normal enough to bump this thread from 2 years ago, without us having to watch a video on the topic.

Just watch the video... in the first minute, it shows BMW, Audi, Porsche tail lights that all have the same problem. I don't know why he posted that video as evidence that this is not normal.

The real cliff notes is that the plastic weld is the problem, like I posted on this forum year ago in a huge thread on this problem.

It's absolutely not normal to have any moisture inside the tail lights. If you are living with this problem because you think it's normal because of the LED lights, you are fooling yourself.

I knew this problem from other cars. The best solution is to buy Sugru from Walmart online and mold it over the plastic weld lines. Problem solved forever.

Just watch the video...

No thank you. I despise the YouTube “look at
me, I’m an influencer!” mentality and will do all I can to avoid it.

Appreciate @TLLMRRJ’s succinct answer. Plastic welds. All we needed to know without clicking that subscribe button. My only issue is the recommendation to buy Sugru at Walmart. I don’t Walmart. :)

I took delivery of my 2021 model 3 last month, and found the same issue re condensation which has been raised 2 years ago. I am surprised that those defective lenses are still being installed on the latest tesla models. Indeed, the video is informative yet I would not do it myself but would expect it to be replaced by tesla which would be the normal thing to do for car manufactures to protect their brand. I already placed a service call and will be visited by the service person this week. I expect replacement of those lenses, no less. I will keep this forum updated for whatever it is worth.

No thank you. I despise the YouTube “look at
me, I’m an influencer!” mentality and will do all I can to avoid it.

Appreciate @TLLMRRJ’s succinct answer. Plastic welds. All we needed to know without clicking that subscribe button. My only issue is the recommendation to buy Sugru at Walmart. I don’t Walmart. :)

That video is far from being the sort of thing an influencer would make to draw attention to themselves. It's genuinely helpful without trying to influence anyone about anything other than it's a terrible waste for Tesla to be throwing these badly made lights into a bin after replacing them with more badly made lights.:confused:

Yes, the welds are the problem and any flexible sealant should do the job. I have no idea what Sugru is and we don't have Walmart here, so I'm with you on that :D

That video is far from being the sort of thing an influencer would make to draw attention to themselves. It's genuinely helpful without trying to influence anyone about anything other than it's a terrible waste for Tesla to be throwing these badly made lights into a bin after replacing them with more badly made lights.:confused:

Yes, the welds are the problem and any flexible sealant should do the job. I have no idea what Sugru is and we don't have Walmart here, so I'm with you on that :D

12 1/2 minutes to tell me "it's the plastic welds"? Yeah, I'll skip that. Anyone with theme music goes right in my bitbucket.

I posted the video and saying it was not normal because many on the forums have said condensation on our taillights was normal due to the breather hole. Well it's not normal, because the condensation was due to the seal leaking allowing moisture inside the lens. I didn't feel this issue was normal from the start and now have proof. I think Tesla needs to demand higher quality control from their parts suppliers, because these little issues are hard to justify spending so much to buy a Tesla. I still have the residue inside the headlight lens issue after them being replaced and still no word if they got it resolved.

I posted the video and saying it was not normal because many on the forums have said condensation on our taillights was normal due to the breather hole. Well it's not normal, because the condensation was due to the seal leaking allowing moisture inside the lens. I didn't feel this issue was normal from the start and now have proof. I think Tesla needs to demand higher quality control from their parts suppliers, because these little issues are hard to justify spending so much to buy a Tesla. I still have the residue inside the headlight lens issue after them being replaced and still no word if they got it resolved.
I think you got push back because at the start of the video it showed plenty of new cars from various luxury car brands (Alfa, Audi, BMW, Porsche) with exactly the same condensation, and also explained why LED tailights are especially susceptible to this and previous ones were not (the LEDs don't have the heat of incandescent bulbs). It sounds like you were/are suggesting this is an issue isolated to Tesla.

A quick google finds plenty of examples from other brands. I just read some threads on the Porsche forums and Porsche considers condensation in the tailights to be "normal" unless it does not clear in 30 minutes. It seems for vented designs (even with gore-tex patches), some condensation (which clears itself quickly) is expected, but if there is excessive condensation it can be a sign of seal failure.

Last edited:

Just watch the video... in the first minute, it shows BMW, Audi, Porsche tail lights that all have the same problem. I don't know why he posted that video as evidence that this is not normal.
I own/have multiple modern LED-equipped cars including Porsches and have never had moisture or standing water issues with any exterior lamps.