Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side window closed by itself before entry - trim damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were you all I would decline the free trim for now until they've resolved the root cause of the windows not opening/closing properly...otherwise you'll just ding up a new trim piece and have to do it all over again. Insist on them troubleshooting the root cause of the issue first, THEN remediate the damage.

Did you get quoted a price for the trim? I got a quote of $200ish. They told me without looking at it... they can't replace it free of charge. Sorry first time Tesla owner.

I don't know how much to replace the trim because Tesla will replace it free of charge (just like others in this post). When you first create a service ticket in the phone app, you can include an image about the issue. After that, they will communicate with you via text message. I already have a service ticket to replace frunk latch. So I simply replied to them via text message and showed them the trim damage. They don't have the part in stock, so they rescheduled my service to take care both items in the same service.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay for your trim because obviously there's a bug in the software to cause this issue.

If I were you all I would decline the free trim for now until they've resolved the root cause of the windows not opening/closing properly...otherwise you'll just ding up a new trim piece and have to do it all over again. Insist on them troubleshooting the root cause of the issue first, THEN remediate the damage.

Now I went through my climate system failure, I'm pretty sure it's another software/firmware bug.

Was at the Burlingame Tesla and they had a brand new red MY there with the same trim damage.

Attachments

• B7A76145-563F-4929-B317-AB14BF933290.jpeg
    B7A76145-563F-4929-B317-AB14BF933290.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Informative
Reactions: firerock
my drivers side window just did this for the first time today. luckily i noticed it before closing the door on the trim. whats strange is now my window won't go all the way down or up when pressing the window switch all the way. i have to hold the button to bring it down. passenger side still works the way it should.

my drivers side window just did this for the first time today. luckily i noticed it before closing the door on the trim. whats strange is now my window won't go all the way down or up when pressing the window switch all the way. i have to hold the button to bring it down. passenger side still works the way it should.
This happened to me yesterday, and I have the same problem with the window not going all the way up/down with the hard push. All other windows act properly. I wonder if it’s a 2020.12.11.1 issue, since I just updated a few days ago.

Its going to need recalibration of the affected window. Look it up within the owners manual.

Its going to need recalibration of the affected window. Look it up within the owners manual.

BMax, thanks for the tip! That fixed the issue

For anyone that needs it, you roll down your window all the way down then continue to hold it for 15 seconds once the window is down. Release the button and roll the window up and hold it for another 15 seconds once it reaches the top. You will hear the motors clicking as they re-calibrate. After that your windows should work fine!

Reactions: BMax_V.2
According to the mobile service advisor, this most commonly occurs when the door is not closed all the way initially (left slightly ajar), so the window rolls up and then hits the trim when the driver fully closes the door.

I have only encountered this issue once, so hopefully that’s all it is and won’t recur again.