Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver side window keep fogging up inside when outside temperature is below freezing level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

Do you guys have such problem with your model 3? I tried every method I can think so like pre heating my car before driving, turn up the heater, turn off interior air circiculation. But everytime when outside tempature is below freezing level, the passenge window keeps fogging up. This make driving and making left lane change or turn not very safe because sometime the fog is so bad I cannot see my left mirror or cars in the left lane. Wondering if anyone have solution for this or should I take it to service center ?

I don't havve the 3, I have the X, but yea up here in the cold winter this happens all the time. I use voice command "defroster" and it comes on to clear it up. Some people seem to think the voice command doesn't work for them. In that case just make sure your defroster is on and blowing up through the windshield vents. Sometimes if it is bad, I turn OFF the recirculate button so the same moist air isn't recirculating through the car.

I would recommend checking your climate control settings, as this is almost always caused by incorrect climate control settings (and it isnt "turn the heat up" that fixes it).

I did a quick google to see if I could find a walkthrough on things you should be doing (service center is absolutely not what you should be doing for "my windows fog in the cold"). Here is some tips I found that I already knew, that perhaps you may not, if you are having this issue. At a high level, turning on the heat will make this worse, not better, in the cold.

===============================================

How to Prevent Windows from Fogging in Cold Weather​

Saturday, 07 January, 2017
fc3bcd1441e7bfaa305d0ae0b34254ebx.jpg
In winter, it’s common for windows to fog up while drivers are on the road, which hinders visibility and safety. Not to mention that it’s just flat out annoying.
So how can you keep your windows from fogging up on the inside when it’s cold out?
First, you have to understand what causes them to fog up. Typically, it’s due to the fact that air in the cabin is warmer than the temperature of the glass windshield. Warm, humid air hits the cold surface and suddenly there’s condensation, which results in fogging.
Knowing this, there are a few easy tips you can try out to prevent your windows from fogging up in the winter:
TURN OFF RECIRCULATION
Air that’s recirculated from the cabin will have higher moisture content. Turning off the recirculation feature will bring in cooler, drier air from outside, which will help prevent windows from fogging.
CRACK A WINDOW
This is another quick way to get colder, drier air inside of the car, which will even out the temperature between your windshield glass and cabin. However, while it’s effective, you may be left feeling a little cold as a result.
COLD vs. WARM DEFROST SETTINGS
Letting your defrost run at length on a warmer temperature can help prevent fogging in many cases. However, if you haven’t been running defrost and your windows get pretty foggy, cold air is the way to go. Although you can use warm air to zap moisture collecting on your windshield, this often takes longer if the temperature conditions outside are pretty severe.

Another thing to consider (and what I do) is keep your dash vents together (not split) and directed at the side windows. This seems to help in really cold weather. Not sure if this is always possible if you run your climate in Auto though (I always keep mine in manual.)

Another thing to consider (and what I do) is keep your dash vents together (not split) and directed at the side windows. This seems to help in really cold weather. Not sure if this is always possible if you run your climate in Auto though (I always keep mine in manual.)
I haven't come across weather cold enough yet to need it in the Model 3, but that's what I did in my old car too. Aim the vents directly at the side windows where the mirrors are. Without doing that they fog up easily. If it gets bad and you can't wait for things to clear up, cracking windows down helps to clear things out fairly quickly at least temporarily.

Last edited:
hello all,

Do you guys have such problem with your model 3? I tried every method I can think so like pre heating my car before driving, turn up the heater, turn off interior air circiculation. But everytime when outside tempature is below freezing level, the passenge window keeps fogging up. This make driving and making left lane change or turn not very safe because sometime the fog is so bad I cannot see my left mirror or cars in the left lane. Wondering if anyone have solution for this or should I take it to service center ?
I activte the main vent and position it to blow air towards the window. Works great for me.

hello all,

You say the 'passenger' window keeps fogging up but then you say it is dangerous to turn left and you cant see cars in left lane...through the right side passenger window???