Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a wide load, I like a car with ample space for the driver. My current car is a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid, which is comfortable for me. I am interested in upgrading to a Model Y, not sure how comfortable it would be for me though. I have been unable to find this information online, and getting to a Tesla store to sit in one will be an hour drive. If anyone has these numbers, I’d be appreciative. I’m wondering how wide the driver seat is, and how wide the area is between the center console and the driver door. Much appreciated.

I use the cars.com compare tool a lot when trying to measure the size of the Y to others I considered. I plugged in your vehicle and while it may not represent everything you asked for, it should give you a good idea. It seems the Y might be a bit smaller than the Accord for hip/shoulder room. Take this with a grain of salt though…
91FE3FEE-E892-4870-95EE-504ADC688BA3.png

Thanks for the reply, I actually did find this tool and it is helpful. What it doesn’t tell me is how wide the center console is, and if this is door to door or seat to seat. But it is something to go on. I think I’ll be okay, it’s a difference of an inch and a half, that’s practically nothing.

As a wide load, I like a car with ample space for the driver. My current car is a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid, which is comfortable for me. I am interested in upgrading to a Model Y, not sure how comfortable it would be for me though. I have been unable to find this information online, and getting to a Tesla store to sit in one will be an hour drive. If anyone has these numbers, I’d be appreciative. I’m wondering how wide the driver seat is, and how wide the area is between the center console and the driver door. Much appreciated.

@Arnbjorn I'm a wider/heavier guy too. Don't have the vehicle yet (tentatively this weekend if all goes well) so can't say from much experience, but have been on three 20ish min test drives with my partner, one where I drove the whole time, one where I was the passenger the whole time, and one where we both took a turn, and didn't notice any comfort issue in those short timespans. I'm not sure what your purchase timeframe is like but please feel free to remind me to follow-up if you don't see me reply here with more thoughts by late next week?

@Arnbjorn took a bit to get some seat time in (traveling less these days like so many others). I'm going to say you should definitely make the trek to go for a test drive if possible, even if it's an hour away. The hip room figures only really tell part of the story.

The seat itself is fairly wide but with a big catch: the sides of the seat bottom are fairly sharp on the side of a wide guys legs. It's been manageable so far in short treks around town but I'm not sure how I'd do on a long journey to be honest.

You might be fine as everyone mileage will vary, but I'd say you should try it out to be sure.

@ArnbjornThe seat itself is fairly wide but with a big catch: the sides of the seat bottom are fairly sharp on the side of a wide guys legs. It's been manageable so far in short treks around town but I'm not sure how I'd do on a long journey to be honest.

@Arnbjorn further clarification: it's actually the outside of wider buttcheeks that get pinched by the sharp sides, not the thighs. I'm still trying to figure out the most comfortable seating position.

I actually made the drive to try one out. It was a very tight fit for me, and I was way too close to the steering wheel. And yes, the seats would be uncomfortable on a long trip. I am post weight surgery and losing weight fairly fast, but I am not buying Model Y right now. I think I'll go try to stuff myself in one again in about six months.

I actually made the drive to try one out. It was a very tight fit for me, and I was way too close to the steering wheel. And yes, the seats would be uncomfortable on a long trip. I am post weight surgery and losing weight fairly fast, but I am not buying Model Y right now. I think I'll go try to stuff myself in one again in about six months.

@Arnbjorn first off congrats on making positive changes in your life for your health and I wish you great success. Keep up the great work! I'm glad you tried it out for yourself and it sounds like delaying your purchase would be advantageous. Hope to hear back from you later to see how things are going. Take care!

Reactions: CapsEngineer