Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Window Loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
I haven't seen other posts on this. Has anyone seen this happen before? We're scheduled with the service center to get this fixed, so I hope it isn't something that happens regularly. If I try to put the window down, it goes down crooked and then jams when trying to raise it again.

I haven't seen other posts on this. Has anyone seen this happen before? We're scheduled with the service center to get this fixed, so I hope it isn't something that happens regularly. If I try to put the window down, it goes down crooked and then jams when trying to raise it again.

Have you tried the Windows calibration techniques?

Front Door Windows Calibration
Method 1
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.

Method 2 (Newer)
Open door.
Roll window down.
Auto-roll window up (pull up fully on the switch and release so it rolls itself up without you holding the switch).
When window is about half way open, give it a firm smack downwards from above. This simulates something getting stuck in the window and it will roll down to prevent injury.
Repeat this process until the window will no longer auto roll up. This can take 10-15 repetitions.
Close and open the door to verify

• Informative
Reactions: Seattle Tom
A Tesla Ranger came out today to take a look at the window. He found a bracket had come detached from the window. He had to order the part, so in the meantime he epoxied the part in place. It may hold until the replacement window arrives. Yes, apparently the bracket comes attached to the window from the factory and is not considered a serviceable part separate from the glass itself.

9C0A48C5-F7C6-4F4E-99E5-907B080A54BD.png

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Where exactly was the bracket located? Did it end up fixing things?

Had weird issue today when I rolled window down partially on highway and it wouldn’t properly seal - looked “loose”. I had to pull over, open and close door and then it rolled up and seated fine. Very bizarre but also scary as it was -10 outside and we were 200 miles from home:(

I also tested passenger door and it is much more solid when it auto closes - no window rattle like driver side.

Any idea what cost is bracket repair was (I am out of warranty)

Where exactly was the bracket located? Did it end up fixing things?

Had weird issue today when I rolled window down partially on highway and it wouldn’t properly seal - looked “loose”. I had to pull over, open and close door and then it rolled up and seated fine. Very bizarre but also scary as it was -10 outside and we were 200 miles from home:(

I also tested passenger door and it is much more solid when it auto closes - no window rattle like driver side.

Any idea what cost is bracket repair was (I am out of warranty)

From what I could see, there are two pieces of plastic/nylon "gizmos" epoxied to the two bottom corner regions of the window. On our X, one of these pieces came detached or never was properly attached in the first place, which allowed the window to fall into the door at an angle. Open your door and lift on the glass. If you can lift the front or rear edges of the glass, you have a detachment. If it is loose, you should only need to lift with 5 lbs of pressure or so to get it to move. It doesn't take any Herculean force or anything to move it if it is detached, so don't tweak on it too hard and break something.

So did the “lift test” on the glass and it seemed totally firm so likely not the same issue.

I will take it on the highway again and see if I can reproduce the window not closing properly at high speed.

Also car is extremely dirty from 1 week road trip with lots of snow/road salt. Will run it through car wash and clean seals.

Reactions: SSonnentag
Have you tried the Windows calibration techniques?

Front Door Windows Calibration
Method 1
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.

Method 2 (Newer)
Open door.
Roll window down.
Auto-roll window up (pull up fully on the switch and release so it rolls itself up without you holding the switch).
When window is about half way open, give it a firm smack downwards from above. This simulates something getting stuck in the window and it will roll down to prevent injury.
Repeat this process until the window will no longer auto roll up. This can take 10-15 repetitions.
Close and open the door to verify

No, that is not a calibration issue. It's broken. Don't even think of trying to calibrate, something will likely break.
The window is dismounted from the track or the track is dismounted from the door frame. Probably easy to fix assuming nothing has bent.

And I see yours is MUCH newer than mine. So I guess there's no fixing this. :(

So to clarify - I get the rattle if I close the door *with the window down*... with it up, it's fine.

The sound the door makes isn't quite as satisfying as my Cadillac was, but it's still just fine. Heck, most times I just let the X worry about this door opening and closing stuff itself anyway... My Caddy couldn't do that! LOL

So to clarify - I get the rattle if I close the door *with the window down*... with it up, it's fine.

The sound the door makes isn't quite as satisfying as my Cadillac was, but it's still just fine. Heck, most times I just let the X worry about this door opening and closing stuff itself anyway... My Caddy couldn't do that! LOL

I don’t see how anyone could leave the auto door open option on. Don’t get me wrong, I was blown away by that feature the day I demo’d it. Two days after brought it home I turned it off. They open to often when I don’t want them to.

Reactions: dmurphy
I don’t see how anyone could leave the auto door open option on. Don’t get me wrong, I was blown away by that feature the day I demo’d it. Two days after brought it home I turned it off. They open to often when I don’t want them to.

I agree and I’m *this* close to the same. I do love the press brake to close feature - and it causes me to wonder why my driver’s door is broken 100% of the time I drive the 3. LOL

With mine, it’s ever present; window up OR down. Auto-close closes it more firmly than I do when I do it manually, so maybe that’s part of the issue; but my wife’s Subaru sounds much more classy when it closes than my X. I’ll mention it to the ranger next time I see him.

Hmmm, I think it closes to hard too. And good point, maybe it is related to Window issues. I forget now how often I let the the door close on its own. It’s just automatic what ever I do. My garage is narrow so the door doesn’t get to much momentum on closing because it’s not open very wide to begin with.

Reactions: KentuckyX