Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Window Switch Lights Up Yellow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

The driver's window switch in my car lights up yellow; I think the passenger side too but I can't remember for sure. I thought was odd (and ugly). But then I rode in the back seat of my car last night for the first time and noticed the FWD switches light up white! Is this normal?

Jose

Hey Jose!

That seems odd... Is it the backlights of the switches? I'll have to check ours, I don't recall the color. Does yours have the trim lighting? I notice there looks like a downlight installed around the door open handle, but not sure if that is a standard light or an upgraded lighting package. I do recall that one being white. Just don't recall lighting inside the switch color. The top mirror control switches turn red when I activate them, as I recall.

I do see the bottom switch on the drivers door panel turning red and off sometimes. Not sure why... keep meaning to look it up in the manual!

AFAIK, this is because Tesla used Mercedes switches for the windows and they came with yellow backlights. Obviously they couldn't source the FWD switch and created their own, so they used white light same as everywhere else they created their own parts.

• Helpful
Reactions: cobra
Double checked mine tonight... I see on the drivers and FWD that all window switches are yellow/dark orange (only single switch on the FWD for each window.) The pillar mounted FWD switches are white, as you mentioned. So I guess different color for different function?

Interesting they are Mercedes window switches. Never would have guessed.

@cobra, yeah I checked mine last night and same thing. I had a 2008 ML350 with those switches and don't remember the light being yellow. I searched online and came across a thread on the Benz World forum where they were discussing replacing the light bulbs on this type of switch. Unfortunately it can't be done. The bulb is encased in plastic and trying to remove it will crack the bulb. One forum member tried and ended up having to replace the whole switch. So, I guess I'm gonna have to live with yellow light switches. UGH! LOL! 🙃

Last edited:
Double checked mine tonight... I see on the drivers and FWD that all window switches are yellow/dark orange (only single switch on the FWD for each window.) The pillar mounted FWD switches are white, as you mentioned. So I guess different color for different function?

Interesting they are Mercedes window switches. Never would have guessed.
The stalks and other bits are also from the same supplier Mercedes uses.