Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers and passenger door not opening fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here, front doors have not been opening all the way ever since I got my MX mid-March (February build with HW4). Tonight I turned on the automatic doors option to see if it will open the doors all the way but nope, it opens only slightly, and so when I walked away for it to close by itself, I noticed the door didn't have enough space/momentum to latch/close all the way. Sigh, I hope we all get this feature back one day.

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
I contacted support and they confirmed this is as designed for MX's built after January 2023. They directed my attention to a notation in the owners manual stating,doors "may open to a predetermined setting without adjustments". There are many things wrong with that statement...it starts off with "may" so it really does not mean much. I opened a service ticket to have service look at it and possibly "adjust" the doors to open fully. I'll let you all know what comes of it.

I contacted support and they confirmed this is as designed for MX's built after January 2023. They directed my attention to a notation in the owners manual stating,doors "may open to a predetermined setting without adjustments". There are many things wrong with that statement...it starts off with "may" so it really does not mean much. I opened a service ticket to have service look at it and possibly "adjust" the doors to open fully. I'll let you all know what comes of it.
Thanks for sharing! My MX was built on 02/01/2023 so I guess most likely that's the best the doors can do, 😔. Please keep us posted, thanks in advance!

Based on the erratic behavior of my 2023 (but pre-January 2023 build) X, not allowing the doors to open more than a few inches is a good thing, though Tesla breaking their functionality with no working backup is ridiculous. Mine usually don't open more than a few inches, but on a number of occasions, they have opened fully (and fast) right into objects next to the door.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Based on the erratic behavior of my 2023 (but pre-January 2023 build) X, not allowing the doors to open more than a few inches is a good thing, though Tesla breaking their functionality with no working backup is ridiculous. Mine usually don't open more than a few inches, but on a number of occasions, they have opened fully (and fast) right into objects next to the door.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, I'm just going to be ok with the door not fully opening all the way right now in case it malfunctions one day and hits another car or something.

"Soon" might be a few years, but agreed.
I base my definition of "soon" (albeit without a target timeframe... hoping it is not years...) on what I know of neural networks and their improvement rate. Not to tangent too far, but if you look at the various content-generation NNs like midjourney (or chatgpt or the many that can do video now, etc...) and how quickly they are improving ("stupendously quick" for lack of a better descriptor at the moment), it is quite reasonable to be bullish on tesla vision.

There are a few on youtube/twitter who record and show drives on FSD Beta... it is improving at an impressive rate and is a completely different beast (it=a NN/"neural network") than hand tuned code (which is what I assume USS/door opening used in the past).

all of that and more is why I'm bullish on tesla vision's future and don't put a lot of weight into the history of problems for the previous code bases. I hope I'm not wrong... :)

I base my definition of "soon" (albeit without a target timeframe... hoping it is not years...) on what I know of neural networks and their improvement rate. Not to tangent too far, but if you look at the various content-generation NNs like midjourney (or chatgpt or the many that can do video now, etc...) and how quickly they are improving ("stupendously quick" for lack of a better descriptor at the moment), it is quite reasonable to be bullish on tesla vision.

There are a few on youtube/twitter who record and show drives on FSD Beta... it is improving at an impressive rate and is a completely different beast (it=a NN/"neural network") than hand tuned code (which is what I assume USS/door opening used in the past).

all of that and more is why I'm bullish on tesla vision's future and don't put a lot of weight into the history of problems for the previous code bases. I hope I'm not wrong... :)

This is all pretty new stuff, and might just do well. But I don't think it has to do with coding. I think it's just Tesla's willingness to put any effort towards it. There's a long history of them deciding things aren't important, and ignoring them for a long time.

I had a Model 2023 X, built December 2022 and had USS. I loved how I could have the doors fully open and close on Passenger/Driver doors. If my Wife was carrying something I could have the door fully open for her so she didn't need to swing it open.

Sadly had to do a buyback with Tesla for that car, and just received my new HW4 (no USS) X Plaid and that is the first thing I noticed. Doors only open a crack. Filed a ticket with Tesla that day as I thought something wasn't work. I was told by the engineers working on my older MX that the front/Passenger Doors on HW3 cars used the FWD sensor for how much it should open, just like the FWD doors. Not sure why on HW4 cars they can't just use the same logic. The USS for FWD is still there, so keep using it for driver doors.

I do hope they enable this again. I am already not happy they still haven't added Park Vision to X and S while 3/Y have it.

I had a Model 2023 X, built December 2022 and had USS. I loved how I could have the doors fully open and close on Passenger/Driver doors. If my Wife was carrying something I could have the door fully open for her so she didn't need to swing it open.

Sadly had to do a buyback with Tesla for that car, and just received my new HW4 (no USS) X Plaid and that is the first thing I noticed. Doors only open a crack. Filed a ticket with Tesla that day as I thought something wasn't work. I was told by the engineers working on my older MX that the front/Passenger Doors on HW3 cars used the FWD sensor for how much it should open, just like the FWD doors. Not sure why on HW4 cars they can't just use the same logic. The USS for FWD is still there, so keep using it for driver doors.

I do hope they enable this again. I am already not happy they still haven't added Park Vision to X and S while 3/Y have it.

That's interesting as my October 2022 built 2023 X does not have functional front doors. Or functional anything, really. I am also going through the buyback process. My doors usually open a few inches and that's it, but randomly open all the way whether it's clear or not and will strike any objects within reach.

I recently picked up a new MXP and immediately noticed on day of delivery that both the driver's side and passenger side door open cracks open when pushing the door handle. Now I'm being told by the service center this is normal with all new model X since there is no USS and that eventually there will be a software update that will allow the doors to fully open again. I just wanted to check here whether this is really true?? It is incredibly annoying getting in and out of the car having the door barely crack open and waiting until the auto mechanism disengages before being able to swing the door fully open.
I know right!?, it’s sucks… what’s the remedy then? U don’t want to pull the door by the window or the edge of the door every time.