Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers door opened while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting experience today while driving on the highway (about 65MPH) - hit a bump and the drivers door unlatched on its own (did not reach up and pull the inside latch to open it). Had no indication the door wasn't closed properly earlier in the trip. Is there any way to have Tesla pull the logs to see what may have happened?

MX 75D 5-Seater

Interesting experience today while driving on the highway (about 65MPH) - hit a bump and the drivers door unlatched on its own (did not reach up and pull the inside latch to open it). Had no indication the door wasn't closed properly earlier in the trip. Is there any way to have Tesla pull the logs to see what may have happened?

MX 75D 5-Seater
Yes!

Note the time and contact your service center ASAP.
They can run the logs and see what happened, and get that corrected.

MX 75D 5-Seater
You may already know this, but if it happens again you can enter the voice command "Bug Report" and a brief description of the issue. That will log the date and time of the problem.

Thanks all for the replies...today was a heck of a day; after the door opened a truck threw up a stone and chipped the windshield. Later in the day when the glass repair came out it started raining so my wife pulled the MX into the garage but didn't notice the home link open/close had triggered and the door came down on the spoiler and scratched it up pretty good and pulled the garage door out of the track...now need to find a body shop.

MX 75D 5-Seater
Good thing the seats didn't fall out as well otherwise the car would have been a "No' seater!

Thanks all for the replies...today was a heck of a day; after the door opened a truck threw up a stone and chipped the windshield. Later in the day when the glass repair came out it started raining so my wife pulled the MX into the garage but didn't notice the home link open/close had triggered and the door came down on the spoiler and scratched it up pretty good and pulled the garage door out of the track...now need to find a body shop.

Geez... What a day...

my wife pulled the MX into the garage but didn't notice the home link open/close had triggered and the door came down on the spoiler and scratched it up pretty good and pulled the garage door out of the track

My wife and I have come very close to doing that on at least three separate occasions. That "feature" is now turned off so the car can't possibly close the garage door on the car. Ridiculous that the car can't sense the garage door is already open considering how many sensors this car has on it!

My wife and I have come very close to doing that on at least three separate occasions. That "feature" is now turned off so the car can't possibly close the garage door on the car. Ridiculous that the car can't sense the garage door is already open considering how many sensors this car has on it!

This terrifies me of the homelink feature as well. Especially since it's so inconsistent with the distance on the homelink. But being a pain here, why is it the Tesla's fault? Why can't we blame our garage door openers for not being smart enough to sense when a car is under it so it doesn't close on it?

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
This terrifies me of the homelink feature as well. Especially since it's so inconsistent with the distance on the homelink. But being a pain here, why is it the Tesla's fault? Why can't we blame our garage door openers for not being smart enough to sense when a car is under it so it doesn't close on it?

How old are your garage doors? The smart eyes on the majority of doors are on the ground. If anything blocks its path (even if for a second) the door should reverse. A piece of plastic that blew in the doorway temporarily has set mine off numerous times.

Reactions: mal_tsla
How old are your garage doors? The smart eyes on the majority of doors are on the ground. If anything blocks its path (even if for a second) the door should reverse. A piece of plastic that blew in the doorway temporarily has set mine off numerous times.

Those should be placed less than 6" above the floor, mine are 4" above the ground. Model S ground clearance is ~5.2" which means the eyes see nothing between the wheelbase. My wife also backs out of the garage at the speed of molasses since it's narrow.

My openers are also quite new - using Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft openers. It allows me to set the force at which the door closes, so that it is a soft close. It also reverses if it senses resistance somewhere that isn't at the set close distance. It's still not something I want to test the effectiveness of.

The point was - I don't think this is Tesla problem necessarily. Better openers would help.

• Helpful
Reactions: acadapter
I have not tried this yet but can you get an additional set of sensors that are mounted higher? This way it would not just sense the wheels but the car body too. Sometimes if the wheels are not blocking the sensors, the body is.

I would have to run out with a meter to see if they are normally open or closed which would tell me they would have to be wired in series or parallel.