Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers door will not open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just today my drivers door quit opening. It will close automatically but will not self present or open with the fob or by pressing on the chrome door handle. I can only open it by using the interior latch. At first I opened the passenger side and reached all the way to the drivers side latch. I also tried opening it from the screen and no-go. The easiest ways seems to be to lower the drivers window and reach your hand inside and work the interior handle. Just checking to see if anyone has an explanation for this. Ie known issue or workaround/fix. I have had very little issue with this car. Too bad, today I was wanting to show it off to a friend who may want to buy a MX. It does make noise when I work the exterior handle--At one time I thought I saw an error message saying there was an obstruction but that is because I was standing by the door. Mystery.

I had that once. Service center fixed it.

Whatever machinery actuates the latch was not doing its job, but there's another actuator to push the door out a little (which is what you were hearing) and that's separate from the bits that swing the door wide and close it.

They took all the complexity out of the drivetrain and put it in the doors.

Mine was also fixed at Service center... BTW turned my auto present doors off after realizing that I needed to sneak up on my car since it was curb parked along a street. Needed to wait for gap in traffic to approach my car so as not to have the door knocked off by the passing vehicles. Love the feature but should be geofenced to home and known locations... since it is tricky in cities.

When the mobile tech fixed my driver side window last week, he forgot to re-attach a cable that pulls the latch. As a result, the door would not open (although you can hear the noise) except using the the inside door handle. It can be closed without problem. Exactly like your case. Maybe the cable attachment inside the door is broken? Time to call service center.

Our X went into service 2 weeks ago for this exact same problem. They replaced the Door Pop Actuator in about 3 hours and it was good to go. This is at the Pomona Service Center. OP, since you are in Apple Valley, the closest SC to you is probably Pomona SC too.

Just today my drivers door quit opening. It will close automatically but will not self present or open with the fob or by pressing on the chrome door handle. I can only open it by using the interior latch. At first I opened the passenger side and reached all the way to the drivers side latch. I also tried opening it from the screen and no-go. The easiest ways seems to be to lower the drivers window and reach your hand inside and work the interior handle. Just checking to see if anyone has an explanation for this. Ie known issue or workaround/fix. I have had very little issue with this car. Too bad, today I was wanting to show it off to a friend who may want to buy a MX. It does make noise when I work the exterior handle--At one time I thought I saw an error message saying there was an obstruction but that is because I was standing by the door. Mystery.
Your description fits our situation. However, sometimes it desires to work. A ranger has ordered a new latch for us. Waiting.

Fixed !! Problem reported Tuesday on mobile app. On wed SC scheduled appointment for March 6. That did not work with my schedule. I emailed for an accommodation and the SC center called back on Wed and moved things up. Today (Friday) a Mobile Ranger showed up (I'm 100 minutes+ from closest SC) and replaced the defective part. Total time 30 minutes and he was gone. Works like new. I ask you--what other car company would do this? Tesla is not perfect but, compared with my experience with Toyota and BMW this is amazing!!