TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver's front door not opening

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by blake6551, May 25, 2018.

1. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Anyone had issues with a later build X (mine is June 2017) and a front door issue? I saw some threads from very early builds but nothing more recently...

My driver's side front door won't open from the outside as of yesterday afternoon, and from inside have to manually pull the lever fully to get it to pop open. I can hear the motor running as if its trying to open, but no dice.

2. outie

outie Active Member

Probably latch failure. I had a June 2017 loaner with the latch failing.

3. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Yeah, planning on taking it in next week when we get back in town. The door has been working intermittently, but seems like the latch is the issue.

4. Achilz

Achilz Member

I had a latch failure on the driver side door of a 2016 Model X.

5. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Old thread but wanted to report this just happened to me last night (Sept '17 Model X100D). Awaiting an appointment to get it repaired.

6. HostileHarry

HostileHarry Member

I had similar issue. Service Center was able to make it work again.

7. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

"

Similar problem with the driver's door. I do not recall the weather conditions the first time it happened but the next morning the door worked fine. It was in the garage overnight. The next time was three days ago. We had driven about 50 miles in some heavy rain showers and had stopped for lunch. The same door would not open from the outside. Later in the trip we stopped at a supercharger where coincidently a Tesla Ranger was also charging. I told him about not being able to open the door and he volunteered to walk over and take a look. The door opened from the inside and he examined the function of the ice breaker and such which seemed to work fine. His one comment was that there might be a seal problem which is allowing moisture to cause a malfunction. He said he would put in an order for replacement and took a snap of the vin. It was windy and still raining at the time. Once home, I opened the driver's window thinking that if it was a moisture problem, it might dry out in the garage better.

Sure enough, when I went down to check the car the next morning, the door opened fine from the outside. I am waiting to hear from Tesla about the replacement but using the car in the meantime without problem. Note that it has not been in the rain since though.

8. Need

Need Active Member

It just happened to our MX (2017 oct build) this week. I have an appointment tomorrow to take it in to fix. The motor to open and close the door seems to be working fine.. just the initial push open doesn't seem to work. It's like the latch got slightly stuck at the very end. It happened here when it was dry (just started raining only today) and warm.. in the 70's. So for us, it has nothing to do with wet or ice.