Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's front door not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had issues with a later build X (mine is June 2017) and a front door issue? I saw some threads from very early builds but nothing more recently...

My driver's side front door won't open from the outside as of yesterday afternoon, and from inside have to manually pull the lever fully to get it to pop open. I can hear the motor running as if its trying to open, but no dice.

Reactions: MX29
Anyone had issues with a later build X (mine is June 2017) and a front door issue? I saw some threads from very early builds but nothing more recently...

"My driver's side front door won't open from the outside as of yesterday afternoon, and from inside have to manually pull the lever fully to get it to pop open. I can hear the motor running as if its trying to open, but no dice.
"

Similar problem with the driver's door. I do not recall the weather conditions the first time it happened but the next morning the door worked fine. It was in the garage overnight. The next time was three days ago. We had driven about 50 miles in some heavy rain showers and had stopped for lunch. The same door would not open from the outside. Later in the trip we stopped at a supercharger where coincidently a Tesla Ranger was also charging. I told him about not being able to open the door and he volunteered to walk over and take a look. The door opened from the inside and he examined the function of the ice breaker and such which seemed to work fine. His one comment was that there might be a seal problem which is allowing moisture to cause a malfunction. He said he would put in an order for replacement and took a snap of the vin. It was windy and still raining at the time. Once home, I opened the driver's window thinking that if it was a moisture problem, it might dry out in the garage better.

Sure enough, when I went down to check the car the next morning, the door opened fine from the outside. I am waiting to hear from Tesla about the replacement but using the car in the meantime without problem. Note that it has not been in the rain since though.

It just happened to our MX (2017 oct build) this week. I have an appointment tomorrow to take it in to fix. The motor to open and close the door seems to be working fine.. just the initial push open doesn't seem to work. It's like the latch got slightly stuck at the very end. It happened here when it was dry (just started raining only today) and warm.. in the 70's. So for us, it has nothing to do with wet or ice.

On my wife's suggestion, on checked the driver's door again last night. Working fine. Uhg.o_O

I'm keeping an eye on it up until the appt. We're supposed to go out of town this weekend, so I really don't want to have it start acting up on the road.
If it happens again that when you push on the handle outside and the door does not open, it could be the door-pop actuator gone bad. That's what happened to ours and service center replaced it.

Reactions: bhorn
2017 75D and have an appointment next week for them to come look at my door. Same issue but front passenger.

I'm not sure if I'm even covered under warranty (how do I check?)

What's a job like this usually run for Tesla techs?

2017 75D and have an appointment next week for them to come look at my door. Same issue but front passenger.

I'm not sure if I'm even covered under warranty (how do I check?)

What's a job like this usually run for Tesla techs?
I just received a message via the Tesla app for approval of the estimate to fix my front driver side door. The estimated cost is NOK 550 or about USDS $70. This estimate seems very low. The message also said that during the service, if it is determined that the repair is under warranty, then the service will be done for free.

My appointment is tomorrow morning. I will update you with the final results.

Reactions: MX29
My 2018 had this problem last week on a very warm day. As soon as the day cooled, the front driver opened with no problem and we have had no problem since.

I contacted Tesla and they are sending a Tesla Ranger to fix it in 3 days.
A very nice and polite Tesla Ranger came to my home today and replaced the driver-side door actuator. It took him about 20 minutes. He removed the door cover and then simply swapped the bad actuator for a new actuator.

He said the original actuators that came with the car were junk and failed quite often. He said there are three actuators on the TMX that fail often. The two actuators on both from doors and the actuator that opens the frunk. All three will fail eventually. His explanation was once they are exposed to water, they fail.
The new actuator he installed was manufactured much better. We inspected the old actuator and there was visible yellow grease leaking while we inspected the unit.

I am very happy with my Tesla Ranger experience!

Reactions: X-pilot and MX29
My passenger side door is struggling. I used the app to initiate service. I just said 'door won't open' even though it sort of opens just not far and with a lot of grindy whirring sounds- I just didn't feel like typing all that out. Maybe I should have- they immediately switched it from mobile service to a service center visit. And when they created an estimate for me to approve in advance, it was for almost $900. I'll update after the visit.. wish me luck

Sigh. They replaced the latches (both sides, not just the one I was complaining about).

It cost $900.

The plus side is both sides work great now. I didn't realize how clunky both sides were until I saw/felt/heard these slick new parts in action. The parts are redesigned, retrofit, not just old part numbers. So, nice upgrade, but not cheap.

They said the reason they immediately sent the quote for the new latches was they had read the error messages and logs over the air and were already convinced the way forward was this expensive repair.

I did ask before they started to please do
quick physical inspection and confirm if this wasnt something that could just be solved with a strategically placed squirt of WD-40 or something: it wasn't.

The parts in the kit were incredibly complex including a whole network of wires resembling the nervous system of a plesiosaur. So it involves taking apart the whole door, hence the high cost of the job.