TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Driver's License for Legally Blind (Autopilot)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tander, Aug 30, 2017.

1. tander

tander Active Member

So I keep telling my Grandpa that it might not be that far away that he could be driving again (getting to and from the car of course is another issue). I know there is some controversy with Autopilot, but I'm of the opinion that "mostly" self-driving will be relatively soon. I know lot's of legislators have been working on self-driving law for quite a while now, and my Grandpa won't be the only person in this position. Has anyone heard of getting some sort of self-driving license for the legally blind in this case? I think it could actually make a pretty big difference for many people just to help them stay more active and connected. Insurance is the other part of this question but I imagine they will go hand in hand.

2. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    When Tesla launches the Tesla Network, I don't think a driver's license will be needed. I think they will launch it only in places where driverless autopilot will be legal.

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

As long as he's sitting in the back.. no need for a license. :)

4. tander

tander Active Member

Good points, if it's 100% self-driving there's no point in a license anymore. Heck he could just Uber now but he can't figure out smartphones. But say it's 95 or 99% self-driving next year, but it takes another 5 years to get to 100%. That's what I'm wondering.