Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's License for Legally Blind (Autopilot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
So I keep telling my Grandpa that it might not be that far away that he could be driving again (getting to and from the car of course is another issue). I know there is some controversy with Autopilot, but I'm of the opinion that "mostly" self-driving will be relatively soon. I know lot's of legislators have been working on self-driving law for quite a while now, and my Grandpa won't be the only person in this position. Has anyone heard of getting some sort of self-driving license for the legally blind in this case? I think it could actually make a pretty big difference for many people just to help them stay more active and connected. Insurance is the other part of this question but I imagine they will go hand in hand.

When Tesla launches the Tesla Network, I don't think a driver's license will be needed. I think they will launch it only in places where driverless autopilot will be legal.

Last edited:
Good points, if it's 100% self-driving there's no point in a license anymore. Heck he could just Uber now but he can't figure out smartphones. But say it's 95 or 99% self-driving next year, but it takes another 5 years to get to 100%. That's what I'm wondering.