Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers power seat stopped working - any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today, my 2016 Model S drivers side power seat stopped working (forward and back functions). When the button is pressed, I hear something click, but no movement. All the other movements, up down, tilt etc work fine. The passengers seat works fine also. I tried resetting the main screen, but that didn't help. Actually resetting that main screen itself seems to be taking longer than usual as well, approximately 5 mins before it comes back on. Need to look into that after the seat issue. I checked under the seat, hoping I'd find a loose connection maybe from the kids kicking it by accident, but everything seems snug.
Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Does the seat move forward and back using Easy Entry or changing a user profile (I think your year had profiles)? Is it just using the forward-back switch on the side of the seat?

Thanks for the reply, no, it doesn't move forward or back when changing to my wife's profile or the easy entry. That's how we first discovered it wasn't working, as with my wife's profile, the seat is much closer. There are many plugs underneath, but they all seem snug. I setup an appointment through the app, Feb 8th earliest, ugh! My first repair out of warranty. Hope its not too bad. :(

The clicking seems to indicate the switch itself is good, and the controller is receiving the switch input. I think it is not being acted on by the controller. I have reviewed other user posts about similar issues, and the controller seems a likely problem area. Used ones are going for under $50 on ebay. I'll be interested in hearing what the problem is found to be and how much it costs to replace.

Recently both the driver and passenger seats make squealing noises when moving forward and backward.

Plan to have Tesla check this during service next week when they are (finally) going to do the MCU2 plus radio upgrade to our 2017 S.

The clicking seems to indicate the switch itself is good, and the controller is receiving the switch input. I think it is not being acted on by the controller. I have reviewed other user posts about similar issues, and the controller seems a likely problem area. Used ones are going for under $50 on ebay. I'll be interested in hearing what the problem is found to be and how much it costs to replace.

I did a few searches, but didn't see any conversations about seats. I wouldn't mind trying to replace by myself, I'll have to look into it and see how involved it is to replace.

Not loving my Tesla these days, Feb 8th appointment is so far away, luckily I have a 2nd car. And now my car is taking longer and longer to start up and the MCU went black a few times while I'm driving. When that happens, no signals, no heat, no back camera. Seriously thinking of going back to ICE car. :-(

The Tesla Service lag times are really unacceptable. My Tesla is the only car, so if I have an issue bad enough where I cannot drive it, I am on Uber for all transportation, plus I live 100 miles from nearest dealer. Until they can provide timely service, they should offer alternate transportation, like my old ICE cars did under warranty.

The Tesla Service lag times are really unacceptable. My Tesla is the only car, so if I have an issue bad enough where I cannot drive it, I am on Uber for all transportation, plus I live 100 miles from nearest dealer. Until they can provide timely service, they should offer alternate transportation, like my old ICE cars did under warranty.
I guess I shouldn't complain in that sense, I'm about 10 minutes away.
Beautiful dog by the way!

Reactions: DerbyDave
This would appear to be a problem that Tesla could solve with mobile service - and those appointments are usually easier to get.

If living 100 miles away, it might help to offer to meet the service van part way, instead of having them tie up a service van for a 200 mile round trip...

This would appear to be a problem that Tesla could solve with mobile service - and those appointments are usually easier to get.

If living 100 miles away, it might help to offer to meet the service van part way, instead of having them tie up a service van for a 200 mile round trip...

That's what I was thinking as well, but I can't even call someone to speak to! Calling my local Tesla dealer sends me to the central Tesla support number with no option to speak to anyone. Frustrating to say the least. I've had the mobile service come to my house to replace the 12v battery before, so I know it's offered in my area. I've also tried messaging them via the app, no response. :(

Everything should be done through the app. Mobile service does not dispatch from the dealer in my area, but from another location where there is only a physical building for parts. The current mobile service technician actual lives very near me, and must commute from his home 1 hour each way to get parts and then provides service for a large area around the parts facility including my home. In any event, I made an appointment 1/11, and the mobile service is scheduled for 1/26 -- too long. Many of the issues have been solved by the tech that reviews my service ticket over the air in a matter of days anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed nothing disabling occurs very often.

So after waiting 1 month to get the seat fixed, here is what transpired:
I get an estimate a few days before, it was to replace the switch seat for approximately $350. I'm not sure if there anything else on the estimate, I printed it out but shredded it later not realizing the documents in the Tesla app won't be there later on. I get there and speak to the service guy, he said the estimate is off, it might be less. Great! I wait, 30+ minutes later, the switch seat replacement didn't fix the issue. It wasn't syncing, so I had to leave the car and they had to order memory module, add in a diagnosis fee...the seat ended up costing approximately $750 to repair! Not the best experience for my first out of warranty repair. Hopefully there won't be many more.

So today, my 2016 Model S drivers side power seat stopped working (forward and back functions). When the button is pressed, I hear something click, but no movement. All the other movements, up down, tilt etc work fine. The passengers seat works fine also. I tried resetting the main screen, but that didn't help. Actually resetting that main screen itself seems to be taking longer than usual as well, approximately 5 mins before it comes back on. Need to look into that after the seat issue. I checked under the seat, hoping I'd find a loose connection maybe from the kids kicking it by accident, but everything seems snug.
Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Same issue on my Model 3P. SC replaced the height adjustment motor and all was good. Fast-forward to today: Same issue but this time it's the forward-backward. I messaged my SC and they said it's a different motor so that will likely need to be replaced. Heading back to the SC on Friday so will have more info if needed

Hi All, This is my first post. Yesterday my driver's seat on my 2020 S stopped working. Is it possible that a regular mechanic shop can fix this? I can't get a service appointment until September 13 and I cannot reach the pedals from the current seat position. I'm not a happy camper.

Hi All, This is my first post. Yesterday my driver's seat on my 2020 S stopped working. Is it possible that a regular mechanic shop can fix this? I can't get a service appointment until September 13 and I cannot reach the pedals from the current seat position. I'm not a happy camper.
Probably not, since Tesla doesn’t sell the parts. Aren’t you under warranty anyway?