Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat a tad loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im getting this as well when parked I can lean forward or back and get the drivers seat to move and make a soft click noise, also tried performing the same test in the passenger seat and it has no movement. I plan to go by the service center let them take a look... any resolution for you cochese?

I have this same experience in my car with the original style seats too. Maybe I should mention it to service sometime.

Im quite surprised that Tesla hasn't figured this out yet, the seat should not noticeably move around, its a safety hazard and could directly effect the drivers ability to control the car. I don't understand how the seats could be so bad, my NEW P90DL car was delivered with rocking seat last year in June. I've been in plenty of old cars with hundreds of thousands of miles and the seats don't move but somehow my Tesla thats less then a year old has had 3 new seats in 1 year. I don't feel like Tesla is paying proper attention to these defects @JonMc.

I happen to know someone in the seat department at Tesla who recommended I try the new seats, since the Next Generation seats I have are built by a 3rd party and the new premium seats are built in house. When I asked Tesla if I could upgrade or try the new seat design I was told NO. The next time I need a seat replacement I will escalate to management as I want a FIX/SOLUTION not a patch job, which is at BEST what a Next Generation seat replacement is currently, just a patch until the seats develops enough free play to become noticeable!

Last edited:
Im quite surprised that Tesla hasn't figured this out yet, the seat should not noticeably move around, its a safety hazard and could directly effect the drivers ability to control the car. I don't understand how the seats could be so bad, my NEW P90DL car was delivered with rocking seat last year in June. I've been in plenty of old cars with hundreds of thousands of miles and the seats don't move but somehow my Tesla thats less then a year old has had 3 new seats in 1 year. I don't feel like Tesla is paying proper attention to these defects @JonMc.

I happen to know someone in the seat department at Tesla who recommended I try the new seats, since the Next Generation seats I have are built by a 3rd party and the new premium seats are built in house. When I asked Tesla if I could upgrade or try the new seat design I was told NO. The next time I need a seat replacement I will escalate to management as I want a FIX/SOLUTION not a patch job, which is at BEST what a Next Generation seat replacement is currently, just a patch until the seats develops enough free play to become noticeable!

Sadly I am not sure that will work but please let me know if you got this fixed. My original "Next Gen" drivers seat also rocked during acceleration/deceleration and this got worse over three months. The SC diagnosed a cracked spar underneath and order a replacement, which took five months to arrive. By this time the sway back and forth was very noticeable, distracting, annoying and, in my opinion, dangerous. The SC replaced it quickly and the new seat worked great, for four months. Now I have a slight rocking motion again when braking, even gently. My fear is that this will slowly grow as it did previously, and that having the easy entry feature may make it worse. I am glad Tesla is making the seats in-house now but they seemed to have missed the quality improvment bit to the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I had my drivers seat replaced under warranty recently for the rocking issue. Was hoping on getting the next gen seats but they replaced with the original performance one.

No issues so far 2 months in with the new seat. When they installed the new drivers seat I asked the SC to double check the passenger seat and decided to replace it also. That should be coming in sometime in February.

Crappy issue to deal with. Hoping it doesn't pop up again, but if it does it makes sense to escalate to get the newer generation seats.

• Informative

+1...I have had my driver next gen seat replaced after a couple of months of ownership and 4 months later, I am having the same issue again...

+1...I have had my driver next gen seat replaced after a couple of months of ownership and 4 months later, I am having the same issue again...
Sorry to hear that hopefully @JonMc .... will see this recurring issue with next generation seats and actually solve the problem on the replacement seats...

Suffice to say I think I've escaped this issue with my P90D>P100D battery upgrade. The upgrade came with the new premium seats as they crash tested the 100 battery with the new seats, so far I'm 3 months in with no seat wobble issues yet, Fingers Crossed!!

I had my drivers seat replaced under warranty recently for the rocking issue. Was hoping on getting the next gen seats but they replaced with the original performance one.

No issues so far 2 months in with the new seat. When they installed the new drivers seat I asked the SC to double check the passenger seat and decided to replace it also. That should be coming in sometime in February.

Crappy issue to deal with. Hoping it doesn't pop up again, but if it does it makes sense to escalate to get the newer generation seats.
Damn that sucks. My SC ordered replacement seats. I too hoped they would be newer seats but likely end up with old stock performance seats. How long did it take for the seat to arrive?

Damn that sucks. My SC ordered replacement seats. I too hoped they would be newer seats but likely end up with old stock performance seats. How long did it take for the seat to arrive?

My drivers seat took about a month and a half. Apparently they need to be produced from scratch. They were worried about the color matching but it looks great.

The passenger seat is taking longer because of the holidays they updated me at the beginning of the month and said mid Feb most likely (almost 3 months).

Hoping the issue doesn't return. I don't want to have to have them replaced multiple times. But if it does happen I'll escalate to have them replaced with the latest gen seat that appear not to have issues.

My drivers seat took about a month and a half. Apparently they need to be produced from scratch. They were worried about the color matching but it looks great.

The passenger seat is taking longer because of the holidays they updated me at the beginning of the month and said mid Feb most likely (almost 3 months).

Hoping the issue doesn't return. I don't want to have to have them replaced multiple times. But if it does happen I'll escalate to have them replaced with the latest gen seat that appear not to have issues.
Tesla is replacing my passenger side, so it's especially disheartening to hear it's taken so long!

I have my driver seat do that but Tesla said that's within 'normal'. One of those days I'll take my seat out and see what causes it and try to fix it myself.
The staff at our SC are great and didn't try to pass this off as 'normal' at all. You may wish to ask the person who suggested that to you to explain how drivers' seat movement while the vehicle is in motion is considered safe and normal, because it is neither and I can't see Tesla corporate suggesting that at all.

Interesting, my Feb 2014 S85 had this issue with the driver seat having some play or small rocking motion and that seat base was replaced with a new one @ 48k miles a few months back before going out of the mileage warranty.

No further issues since replacement 6k miles later.

Well been about 1k miles with the small wobble/rocking having returned, now at just under 77k miles, will wait for it to get alot worse before I ask how much this will cost out of warranty, shame as I had hoped it would stay fixed after replacement last time.

My 2018 MS100D is about 2 1/2 months old now and the driver seat is rocking. Oddly, my 2014 also developed the rocking seat issue after about 2 years old. Tesla replaced that seat but would not replace the passenger seat. I was worried about color match but the new seat color was perfect. The replacement seat was almost 2 years old when I traded the car for the 2018. It was solid as a rock. It took about 6 weeks for the replacement 2014 seat to come in. Now it looks like they must do the same thing in my 2018...very disappointing.

I found that if I adjust the seat to be all the way down the rocking stops. It's almost like there are two interconnected pieces that are not moving at the same rate in the electric motor mechanism, creating play as the seat travels up. I keep my chair permanently adjusted all the way down because I don't want to deal with having the SC replace it again.