Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat a tad loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem, "rocking" of the driver's seat, has been noted in another thread. I also have this issue with the next-gen seats. In January, my SC told me they ordered a new seat for me that would be delivered in 2Q 2016. Last week i asked about the status and they told me that the order for the new seat has been canceled because engineering has discovered that the problem is not with the seat but with the guides/rails that the seat fits into. Those guides/rails are supposedly being redesigned. Bottom line: according to the manager of my SC, there is no time horizon for a fix at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Thanks for that info!! As I said disappointing that a new car has such a loose seat... the seat in my Mercedes with 130000 miles has no wobble, In my new (less then 1 month old) P90DL I notice it every time I slow down and every time I accelerate... I'm sure its not helping that my car is always in Ludicrous mode but the seat should be solid so the driver can fully control the car not worry about controlling the seat movements.

Last edited:
We had an issue with our driver's seat similar to this. I don't know if its the same issue or not. Our seat seemed just fine, never felt loose or anything. I was loading something long into the car and was standing in the rear seat area helping guide the object into the car when I bumped the driver's seat from behind and it rocked forward as if there were loose bolts or something. It was noticeable motion, visible by someone standing outside the car looking in as another person pushed the seatback forward. The whole seat (base and back) moved as a unit.

I brought it up to my SC during my annual review and they said they'd have the tech look it over. When I went to pick my car up, they stated that they confirmed the looseness and would be replacing the seat. I would just need to give them a 2-3 week notice in scheduling the replacement as they would have a new seat shipped up from Fremont.

Got the seat replaced, and have had no issues. This was in an early 2013 P85 with standard seats. It was only the drivers seat that exhibited this issue.

I stumbled across this thread when I searched for seat wobble. I have a model X90D and have the same issue in the drivers' seat but not passenger. Waiting to get a response to my email from my DS. Took delivery 5 days ago and have the seat back steady xpelled!

I noticed it most slowing rapidly for a stop sign and then rapidly accelerating. Seat would rock forward as I slowed and rock back when I accelerated. I could also just sit in the seat and lean forward or back and the seat would rock back and forth.

for the most part id say yes its no longer noticeable under normal conditions however it took about a month to become noticeable before so time will tell... Also the other night I was on a long drive and stopped at a supercharger put the seat back for a quick nap and with the seat all the way back and my legs stretched out I swear I could feel the seat wobble the slightest bit, again I don't notice it though with the seat upright hopefully it doesn't re appear as an issue after another month... Ive put about 3500 miles on my car since it arrived about 1 1/2 months ago so time will tell...

Reactions: Gymee
Digging this thread up...

Anyone who got their seats replaced, did they hold up over time? I'm coming up on 12000 miles and I was planning on bringing this up with the SvcCntr as mine have become pretty loose over time. It's bad enough that I have debated pulling the seat and trying to fix it myself.

I had a slight "clunk" in a nearly new demo P100DL during "spirited" acceleration.

I'm guessing it's looseness in the glides or the power adjustment system. Not sure how the power adjustment holds the seat forward/back to the rail?

Same here in my 2014 S. Noticeable when I change from accelerating to braking or the other way. I told and showed the Service Center and they just said it's withing the specs. Kind of their standard answer when they don't have a fix for it. :/

Interesting, my Feb 2014 S85 had this issue with the driver seat having some play or small rocking motion and that seat base was replaced with a new one @ 48k miles a few months back before going out of the mileage warranty.

No further issues since replacement 6k miles later.

I'm glad yours got fixed. Hard to say how bad your seat movement was compared to mine. Maybe mine is just within the limits and yours was not. It's a minor annoyance, but it's just silly to hear the excuse that it's within the specs when the passenger seat is perfectly solid and has no movement.

Wobble is back again for the drivers seat that was replaced as well as the passenger seat now. I'm at 9k miles now, Ive reached out to my service center for another round of replacements...

Bringing this thread back to life once again...I had a rocking driver seat replaced about 5k ago and the rocking is back...frustrating and I'm not even driving the car (that) hard.

I ended up having to get my driver's seat replaced twice because of lose rocking issues. For me it wasn't even under hard acceleration - you could just feel it moving when breaking or accelerating normally.

The second replacement turned out to probably be unnecessary. When they went to install it they found one of the bolts had been cross-threaded when they replaced it the last time, leading the chair to rock back and forth. Apparently each chair is custom made though, so there was no point in not installing the second new chair.

I haven't had any problem since the second fix, and it's been over 5k miles now.

Pretty new model S delivered at the end of March 2016 with next gen seats. For the most part I don't notice this, but occasionally when quickly accelerating or on rough roads the drivers seat feels just a tad loose. As in not firm and planted but my butt/seat has a little hitch.

Anyone else have experience with this? Feels internal to the seat and not like a loose mounting bolt.

Same here with a Classic MS. Took in to the service center and they are telling me the seat needs to be replaced (under warranty). They ordered a seat today and advised that it typically takes 6 weeks minimum for the seat to come in.

Too bad they just don't replace both seats. I am concerned about color match wth a new seat next to an old seat....In fact, why don't they just replace both of them with Next Generation Seats???? :)

Last edited: