Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers Seat and Steering Wheel No Longer Adjust - Locked in Easy Entry Position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a drivers profile set up in my name as well as an Easy Entry profile that moves the seat back and the steering wheel up and away when I park. Today when I arrived home in my in my 2016.5 Model S, P90D and put the car in Park it went into Easy Entry mode so I could exit as it should. When I returned a few minutes later to leave, I entered the vehicle and depressed the brake which would normally cause the seat and steering wheel to move into my profile position, this has always worked fine. This time they didn't move at all. So I tried using the actual electric seat controls and the steering column control to just move them outside of the profile. Nothing, the controls don't work and my seat and steering wheel are stuck in the Easy Access locations...seat all the way back and steering wheel all of the way forward and up. I can't even drive it this way. Oddly, passenger power seat works fine. I have deleted all profiles and attempted to reset everything and I have even rebooted. No Change, no ability to move driver's seat or steering wheel location. HELP!

You said you tried resetting, but have you actually rebooted the MCU? I don't know if you still have MCU1 and this might be a symptom of the eMMC module getting flaky, but I'd try an MCU reboot (two scroll wheel) first if you've not already done so.

After that, next think you might want to check are fuses. There is a thread on TMC with some fuse box information that might help.

There is one I see listed for Memory Seat Module. Not sure if it might have blown or if removing/replacing it might help by doing a reset of that module. I see separate fuses listed for the seat motors versus the steering column, so don't know if a single fuse other than the memory seat module might explain all the symptons.

I have the MCU2 and I rebooted once using the wheels and the second time using the 4 finger method (wheels and buttons above each wheel with brake pedal depressed). Still have no function of driver's power seat or power steering wheel/column adjustment. I had already looked into and identified the fuses you noted above and plan to check them tomorrow when I have some daylight. I figured I would query the forum first to see if anyone else had experienced this before I go poking around in the fuse boxes.

I have the MCU2 and I rebooted once using the wheels and the second time using the 4 finger method (wheels and buttons above each wheel with brake pedal depressed). Still have no function of driver's power seat or power steering wheel/column adjustment. I had already looked into and identified the fuses you noted above and plan to check them tomorrow when I have some daylight. I figured I would query the forum first to see if anyone else had experienced this before I go poking around in the fuse boxes.
I had a similar issue where the steering wheel stopped adjusting but when I changed the profiles, it would move. I took the car in for service and they found one of the wiring harnesses had came loose. I don't know seat changed positions when changing profiles but you did mention that you now have deleted them.

yeah, I couldn't get to it today but I'm going to pop the fuse box(s) open and check the fuses for the effective circuits and if they check good I guess I'm just stuck waiting for the service appointment I made.....and have to wait 2 weeks for.....

So a week after I scheduled my service appointment I received an email from Tesla stating the following:

Parts have been ordered for servicing your car and we will continue to send you status updates twice a week until your appointment is completed. Please refer to the list below to see which parts have been received or are still on order.

Parts Ordered
MSM DR (Memory Seat Module)
Part #: 1011838-00-H

So, it appears they must have a pretty good idea what it is (I hope...). So I'll just wait until June 15th to see if it fixes the problem.

Anyone else had this module go bad?

So a week after I scheduled my service appointment I received an email from Tesla stating the following:

Parts have been ordered for servicing your car and we will continue to send you status updates twice a week until your appointment is completed. Please refer to the list below to see which parts have been received or are still on order.

Parts Ordered
MSM DR (Memory Seat Module)
Part #: 1011838-00-H

So, it appears they must have a pretty good idea what it is (I hope...). So I'll just wait until June 15th to see if it fixes the problem.

Anyone else had this module go bad?
I had the same problem. I couldn’t drive it for long since the seat was stuck too close to the steering wheel That the driver’s airbag disabled. I towed it to the service center over the weekend.

UPDATE:

JUNE 21 - Memory Seat Module Part# 1011838-00-H arrived and I was told to bring my car in to have it replaced. They told me this module controls the Driver's seat AND the Steering column adjustment and will resolve the issue.

JUNE 22 - Dropped vehicle at Service Center at 8AM. At 4PM I was told (Via App) they were running behind and couldn't get to my car today so they would be keeping it overnight. ugh.

JUNE 23 - I was contacted in the morning (via APP) saying the Module had been installed but each time they attempted to load the required firmware to the module it would blow a fuse. Contacted me in the Afternoon with same explanation.

JUNE 24 - Contacted me in the AM to tell me they obtained second module and are having the same issue, looked for pinched or cut wire in seat harness and said they found a pinched wire and fixed it. They told me they were going to pull the seat and examine the whole harness. I stopped by at the end of the day. Seat was not removed and they said they would get to it the next day which will be a Friday. SC Mgr. Assured me techs would be in at 7AM tomorrow to ensure they had the seat pulled early to examine the harness.

JUNE 25: Contacted me at 9:12AM via the App to basically apprise me of what I already know... fuse blows when firmware update to seat module is attempted and firmware does not load. Need to pull seat and examine harness. (So much for the 7AM start time?)

So, it's now almost lunchtime on Friday and they have had my car all week trying to sort this out....and I honestly do not believe they have any idea what the issue is yet. I will provide another update once there is some progress...:confused:

UPDATE:

JUNE 21 - Memory Seat Module Part# 1011838-00-H arrived and I was told to bring my car in to have it replaced. They told me this module controls the Driver's seat AND the Steering column adjustment and will resolve the issue.

JUNE 22 - Dropped vehicle at Service Center at 8AM. At 4PM I was told (Via App) they were running behind and couldn't get to my car today so they would be keeping it overnight. ugh.

JUNE 23 - I was contacted in the morning (via APP) saying the Module had been installed but each time they attempted to load the required firmware to the module it would blow a fuse. Contacted me in the Afternoon with same explanation.

JUNE 24 - Contacted me in the AM to tell me they obtained second module and are having the same issue, looked for pinched or cut wire in seat harness and said they found a pinched wire and fixed it. They told me they were going to pull the seat and examine the whole harness. I stopped by at the end of the day. Seat was not removed and they said they would get to it the next day which will be a Friday. SC Mgr. Assured me techs would be in at 7AM tomorrow to ensure they had the seat pulled early to examine the harness.

JUNE 25: Contacted me at 9:12AM via the App to basically apprise me of what I already know... fuse blows when firmware update to seat module is attempted and firmware does not load. Need to pull seat and examine harness. (So much for the 7AM start time?)

So, it's now almost lunchtime on Friday and they have had my car all week trying to sort this out....and I honestly do not believe they have any idea what the issue is yet. I will provide another update once there is some progress...:confused:
I experienced a similar timeline and challenges to fix intermittent air suspension fault, which turned out to be a bad wiring harness. They will get it fixed, but patience is required sometimes as they go through process of elimination. You might ask for a loaner at this point, which I was offered after 3 days.

UPDATE:

JUNE 26 - Apparently not the harness either. I receievd this at the end of the day yesterday (Friday, June 25): "The harness passed the inspection and the fault is still present. He thinks its a gateway issue. We are reaching out to engineering for assistance. At this point I think it's safe to plan it will not be completed today."

Anyone know what they mean by "Gateway"?

So the car will sit there for the weekend and they will start again on Monday.

(FYI Buzz, they did provide a loaner from day 1)

UPDATE:

JUNE 26 - Apparently not the harness either. I receievd this at the end of the day yesterday (Friday, June 25): "The harness passed the inspection and the fault is still present. He thinks its a gateway issue. We are reaching out to engineering for assistance. At this point I think it's safe to plan it will not be completed today."

Anyone know what they mean by "Gateway"?

So the car will sit there for the weekend and they will start again on Monday.

(FYI Buzz, they did provide a loaner from day 1)
Term "gateway" is typical reference for a central controller on the vehicle which acts as a communication interface between the multiple electronic devices or modules on a vehicle. Sometimes this may be synonymous with what some call the body controller but in other cases is a separate electronic module. I've not spent the time researching the full electronic/communication structure that Tesla is using for each of their vehicles to be able to tell you precise configuration for your Model S.

UPDATE:

JUNE 28: so I received the following message today…

“He found the concern related to a wire and fuse. We can plan tomorrow completion.”

Then I noticed on Friday afternoon they had also ordered the following part which apparently arrived today:

FRONT TRUNK 12V FUSE BOX
Part #: 1034409-00-A

I just wish they weren’t so vague or cloak & dagger about what they have done. I guess I will get all the details tomorrow when I pick it up, or at least I intend to do my best in getting done.

So the crimped wire was the issue. They returned the car with a replaced seat module and a repaired wire. Everything works fine. However, I noticed on the drive home the driver's seat is now loose. :mad: rocks back when you accelerate and rocks forward when you brake or slow down. Another service appointment scheduled for Tuesday. I'm sure it will be easily rectified but annoying that I have to drop it off again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: cancoi
So the crimped wire was the issue. They returned the car with a replaced seat module and a repaired wire. Everything works fine. However, I noticed on the drive home the driver's seat is now loose. :mad: rocks back when you accelerate and rocks forward when you brake or slow down. Another service appointment scheduled for Tuesday. I'm sure it will be easily rectified but annoying that I have to drop it off again. :rolleyes:
It would be great if they had loaners to use, like BMW, Mercedes and all other high end car companies.