Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's seat belt - does yours lock after full extension?

When fully extended, does your seatbelt lock?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SD_Engnr

Mar 24, 2016
San Diego
So, I find the seat in the 3 to be decently comfortable for daily driving. However, at the track, or during spirited driving, I find that it is terrible at keeping you in place.

One way to assist with keeping you in place, is to move your seat back a little, fully extend the seat belt so it locks, and then once the belt has retracted, scoot your seat up, thus giving you a better chance at not sliding around. Well, my seat belt does not lock. Sure, it will lock up momentarily with a hard jolt, but then it retracts normally. I'm talking the kind of lock up where you hear the retracting mechanism working, and you have to fully release the seat belt to have it return to normal.

So, my question to everyone, as seen in the poll, is does your driver's side seat belt lock up when you fully extend it?

I took it to the service center, where they agreed that was odd behavior, and decided to replace the mechanism. When I returned to pick up the car, it was still exhibiting the exact same behavior. I called the tech out on this, and he decided to check all the nearby 3's, and even a few of the S and X's that were sitting around. He claimed they were all the same, and showed me two of the 3's. I agreed that they were exhibiting the same behavior, but that doesn't mean it's correct. He said he'd follow up with Engineering, and then let me know.

Is this normal?

I believe that locking mechanism is designed for the installation of child car seats. So I don't think that would be a requirement for the front seat belts.

The locking you describe does indeed work in the rear side seatbelts (haven't tested the center one).