Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's Seat extremely uncomfortable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a lot of issues with the premium seats in my 2017 Model S. Have my own thread on here about the uncomfortable seats. I liked the 1st gen seats on my 2013 S better, although they didn’t look as nice. These new seats hurt my upper back a lot. The high side bolsters seem to push my shoulder blades forward which I think is the problem. It’s a bummer, really killing my enjoyment of a otherwise fantastic car.

Having a lot of issues with the premium seats in my 2017 Model S. Have my own thread on here about the uncomfortable seats. I liked the 1st gen seats on my 2013 S better, although they didn’t look as nice. These new seats hurt my upper back a lot. The high side bolsters seem to push my shoulder blades forward which I think is the problem. It’s a bummer, really killing my enjoyment of a otherwise fantastic car.

I have standard fabric seat, neweast second generation seat, adjustable. But it is extremely uncomfortable because of the gap between the headrest and the seat. There is no support in the back neck. I am a woman 164cm. The seat suits bigger man better. My Tesla model X was newly delivered in Oct. 2018. After less than one month, I have got arm pain, shoulder pain neck pain and upper back pain. I adjusted seat several times (many times) in order to find a suitable place but I cannt.
I have driven Volkswagen and Nissan Leaf before. I had right side back pain in Volkswagen due to manual gearshift clutch/gas pedal (no cruise control) sold after 5 years. Nissan Leaf is very comfortable, no problem at all! My favorite seat. I am considering sell the Tesla model x if I am not able to find the ok seat position. Don’t want to get pain because of driving.
I have driven first generation Tesla model s for some while before also. Did not like the seat, which was even worse.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
@Cxmqq have you tried using seat cushions to boost you higher up the seat?

I have tried to raise up the seat to as high as my head nearly touch the roof. (Highest position) The driving wheel then seems facing to the correct direction.( about to point my chest/face considering the airbag system).
When I seat at the lower position, The wheel is pointing up to roof over my head. I feel like I am hanging on the wheel. The wheel is fully adjustable of course but I have to see the speedometer and driving information through it.
164cm in height is not short for a woman in any nation. I am a BIG size woman in Asia and middle size woman in Europe. I am curious if it was a big man who disigned the seat and if Tesla has tested the seat comfort for woman at all! I have talked to a Tesla sales woman who is also 164 cm in height. She drives Tesla model S a lot and the seat belt is positioned on cutting her neck position. When I had test driving in Tesla m S, I had the seat belt cutting on my neck also because the height of the seat belt is not adjustable. That was the only reason why I chose model X instead. I did not want to lose my head or have my neck cut in case the impact was just in the right direction to tight the seat belt on my neck. The impact testing in lab does not cover all directions in real traffic. (Even though I have not heard anyone lose their head because of Tesla model S seat belt, yet!
Tesla really needs to redesign the seat safely and comfort!

I've had my 2017 Mod S for a number of months but being retired I don't do much long distance driving. I've taken 1 200 mile trip, and another time spent 3 hours in traffic after the rocket launch (that's another story). Both times I was in the vehicle for about 3 hours. Each time I found the driver's seat to be extremely uncomfortable and hard. My butt and my hip joints were really aching and no amount of moving around and changing positions would relieve the pain. I have no problem with this length trip in my Chevy Volt so I know it is the Tesla seat.

Has anyone had this problem or can anyone suggest how to relieve this?

OMG yes it's awful!! SO HARD!! And what's weirder, besides the seat being so narrow, the gas pedal is in the middle of the seat, not towards the right food like in most cars, so your legs and therefore hips, spine, etc. are completely out of alignment the entire time you are driving. I WISH they would use Lexus'/Mercedes seats!!

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: David29 and mikey23
I am a 4’11” (150cm)/110 lbs female.The driver’s seat in my 2018 MS P100D is very comfortable. My seatbelt goes where it is suppose to and does not cut into my neck like it does in most American cars. Hondas generally fit me well better than Toyotas or anything GM.

I raise the seat up as high as it’ll go and forward enough so I can reach the brake/gas. Recently drove 8+ hrs with two supercharger stops and no discomfort. In fact I was so comfortable and enjoying myself so much that I got pulled over and got the first speeding ticket in my life... haha! And I’ve been driving since I was 16.

When I bought my 2017 S I was curious about the textile seats. So they brought over to my house 2 cars, one with textile and the other with the standard ‘leather’. My wife and I both felt the textile seats were softer, more conforming and more comfortable than the standard seating.

We went with the textile and to this day I find it to be among the most comfortable seating I’ve had in a car. I actually would have paid extra for it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29