Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat material melting??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't know how to describe it but the seat where my middle back rests against the chair is like degenerating and melting? And it leaves a horrible stain on my T-shirts even
20230520_200101.jpg

Attachments

• 20230520_200058.jpg
    20230520_200058.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: Andris V
My first thought as well was that it was a the type of cleaner you used on them, but you said you haven't used anything on them. Have to wonder then if it was something on your shirt/jacket or the material of the clothing. Did you buy this car new? If no, then the previous owner used something on the seat that caused this. If yes, then you could take it to a Tesla service center and see if they would give you a courtesy fix/replacement seat. They might even be able to tell you how to fix it and if they've even seen this issue before. But I also, have never heard of this issue, the vegan leather is pretty durable.

Wow. Would it be even possible for high amounts of perspiration over time to cause this? Fabric softener or something on the clothes as Resist mentioned?
No, perspiration should not cause this. It really looks like someone used some kind of cleaner that wasn't compatible with the seat material. The OP stated nothing was used but maybe someone borrowed the car or it's a used vehicle.

No, perspiration should not cause this. It really looks like someone used some kind of cleaner that wasn't compatible with the seat material. The OP stated nothing was used but maybe someone borrowed the car or it's a used vehicle.
No butt cheeks have sat in this chair except my own, and the service technician's, from time to time.

I'm going to try to scrape it off with my pocket knife and see if it is really just a bunch of grody T-shirt and skin material
Or if it actually is the seat

Tesla doesn't use vinyl (PVC) seats in the Model 3, they use PU seats. That's a difference that people miss when they use the term "vinyl" for all faux leather seats.

PVC uses plasticizers to make it soft, which as the surface ages, it will eventually migrate to the top and may cause a noticeably different sheen and it will become brittle and may crack. PU however is naturally soft, so does not need those plasticizers.

Tesla says the seats can be cleaned with warm water and mild soap applied to a microfiber cloth. A lot of people like to apply conditioners or coatings to the seats, but generally it's not recommended given these are PU seats, not real leather seats that might need or benefit from those (in fact those may damage the seats if there are certain solvents in them).

My guess if it was not a conditioner or coating that was applied on the seats (perhaps from a previous owner although OP said no one previously owned it), that it might be sweat deposits (although this should happen gradually, not something that suddenly appears in one day). There have been plenty of threads that complained about headrests where a bubble eventually forms as it appears the glue that attaches the surface to the foam below fails (which there have been mixed results on Tesla covering under warranty), but haven't seen that happen to a seat.

Did anything change significantly recently? Like extreme weather changes (heat or cold)?

Tesla doesn't use vinyl (PVC) seats in the Model 3, they use PU seats. That's a difference that people miss when they use the term "vinyl" for all faux leather seats.

PVC uses plasticizers to make it soft, which as the surface ages, it will eventually migrate to the top and may cause a noticeably different sheen and it will become brittle and may crack. PU however is naturally soft, so does not need those plasticizers.

Tesla says the seats can be cleaned with warm water and mild soap applied to a microfiber cloth. A lot of people like to apply conditioners or coatings to the seats, but generally it's not recommended given these are PU seats, not real leather seats that might need or benefit from those (in fact those may damage the seats if there are certain solvents in them).

My guess if it was not a conditioner or coating that was applied on the seats (perhaps from a previous owner although OP said no one previously owned it), that it might be sweat deposits (although this should happen gradually, not something that suddenly appears in one day). There have been plenty of threads that complained about headrests where a bubble eventually forms as it appears the glue that attaches the surface to the foam below fails (which there have been mixed results on Tesla covering under warranty), but haven't seen that happen to a seat.

Did anything change significantly recently? Like extreme weather changes (heat or cold)?
Ive had the car since December 2020 when i drove it off the lot at 5 mi on the odometer
Its (I'm hoping) just a grungy almost 3 years worth of my back on the seat
Definitely did not happen overnight

I really don't know how to describe it but the seat where my middle back rests against the chair is like degenerating and melting? And it leaves a horrible stain on my T-shirts even
View attachment 939667
View attachment 939667
I'm having this exact problem on my 2018 Model 3. 90,000 miles. Black. Have never used anything to clean seats - no sprays, cleaners etc. The spot is directly at upper back of driver's seat, where in really hot weather I sweat through T-shirt. I noticed weird marks on a light T-shirt and that made me look at the seat, which is definitely deteriorated material. So my theory is long periods of sweat in hot weather. Have you found a way to patch it, or did you get a leather seat cover to hide it maybe? I'm thinking of that.