Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's Seat Squeaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I noticed that my driver's seat squeaks when I get in/out of the car, make turns, accelerate hard...anytime I move in general. Any easy fix? It seems to have just started....kind of annoying like an old wooden chair.

I noticed that my driver's seat squeaks when I get in/out of the car, make turns, accelerate hard...anytime I move in general. Any easy fix? It seems to have just started....kind of annoying like an old wooden chair.

Sounds dangerous - I think you should sell your car to me for cheap before you get nothing for it.

:D

I think fastest response is just an impromptu drop by to SC just to have a tech just glance at it.

Little rattles like that are the worst to diagnose and resolve!

Sounds dangerous - I think you should sell your car to me for cheap before you get nothing for it.

:D

I think fastest response is just an impromptu drop by to SC just to have a tech just glance at it.

Little rattles like that are the worst to diagnose and resolve!

Agree...hopefully it will be resolved in one service visit

Hi K-MTG,

I was able to solve the flexing and squeaking of my driver's seat using a simple wedge as follows:

Hope that helps

What year is your Model S? I tried doing this procedure last night but I couldn’t find the position where you inserted the wedge. Maybe I just couldn’t see good while working in a confined space, or my seat design is a little different. Mine is a 2015. Also, does your wedge stay in place when raising the seat? Thanks!

Concern: Customer: States he hears a squeak in drivers seat when going over bumps.

Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis

Applied felt between seat and track to prevent excessive rubbing. Torques seat rods to body.

Pay Type: Warranty

Fixed. No more squeak.

Thanks for posting this. I presume that the Service Centre had the entire seat pulled out to apply the felt — not sure if you saw them doing the work or asked questions about it? If the whole seat has to come out then that would be too big of a DIY for me Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. I presume that the Service Center had the entire seat pulled out to apply the felt — not sure if you saw them doing the work or asked questions about it? If the whole seat has to come out then that would be too big of a DIY for me Thanks!

So I spoke to the tech. He didn't remember my car specifically as it was last year. He has done this procedure before, and did not require removing of seat. I did not see them do the work as the car was picked up and transported. More or less he is looking for contact areas and placing felt, then tightening to body of car.

My thoughts if that doesn't work I would schedule something. Removing seats means putting them back in correctly. With drivers an passengers seats I hear those bolts are very important for saftey. I also think that would be above my pay grade.

Today I was more amazed I got him on the first ring at the SC.:eek:

• Informative
Reactions: VifferFun
Is your seat all the way back? If so, check out Brian's (i1Tesla YouTube) video on the subject from the spring. He is tall and has the seat all the way back. SC never did fix it, but he figured out the issue and fixed it himself.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
Yes. Chock whichever wheels won’t get lifted. The diagonal one is usually a good bet.

If you have air suspension, raise it up and set “jack mode” to keep it from auto leveling while you are trying to jack the car!

So I spoke to the tech. He didn't remember my car specifically as it was last year. He has done this procedure before, and did not require removing of seat. I did not see them do the work as the car was picked up and transported. More or less he is looking for contact areas and placing felt, then tightening to body of car.

My thoughts if that doesn't work I would schedule something. Removing seats means putting them back in correctly. With drivers an passengers seats I hear those bolts are very important for saftey. I also think that would be above my pay grade.

Today I was more amazed I got him on the first ring at the SC.:eek:

Thanks for looking into this! That makes sense to try and eliminate any rubbing with felt -- I'll take a look at mine sometime to see if there's something I can do. And that is crazy that you were able to contac the SC so easily!