Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's seat thigh support too high.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
I am noticing more often now after a year long ownership how uncomfortable the front edge of the driver's seat is.
My right leg is pressed too hard against the thigh support it becomes uncomfortable.

It will be the reason for trading in my 2019 Model 3 when Tesla makes better seats.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
Adjust the tilt. You are the only person I have heard complain about this......ever. There is no need to report this kind of issue.
I have tried tilting it forward. But do you know how weird that becomes?
It feels like the seat is spilling me out forward when you tilt it forward because while it lowers the front edge relative to the back, the flat portion slopes forward.

• Informative
The lack of adjustment to the squab length coupled with the crappy range of squab tilt means that these seats can be wildly uncomfortable compared to other vehicles in the same class. The seat basically comes to an end mid-thigh for me, instead of right behind the knee, making it like sitting on a bar stool. Very annoying.

I had the same problem with my gen 1 seats. The side of my thighs felt like it was being pinched at times.

I ended up adding a thin cushion (an asian style charcoal cushion) plus a seat cover to hold the cushion in place. That took care of the pain. The Model 3 is the only car I've had this problem with. Probably this is the one only thing I didn't like about my Model 3.

The lack of adjustment to the squab length coupled with the crappy range of squab tilt means that these seats can be wildly uncomfortable compared to other vehicles in the same class. The seat basically comes to an end mid-thigh for me, instead of right behind the knee, making it like sitting on a bar stool. Very annoying.
says former BMW sport seat owner. (i'm guessing anway) BMW is the only manufacturer that I've owned that has good extendable thigh supports on their seats.
At first I thought the model 3 seats were going to be a problem. In addition to the short thigh support, I also thought the seats felt overly soft.

In reality, I find the seats super comfortable. I just finished a 6 hour trip and had no seat comfort issues at all with my legs or back. I've been pleasantly surprised. For what it's worth I'm 6'4" ~200 lbs. I have always sat relatively close to the steering wheel (considering how tall I am) in all of my cars including the model 3. I always tilt the bottom of the seat as steep as it will go (up in front, down in back).

says former BMW sport seat owner. (i'm guessing anway) BMW is the only manufacturer that I've owned that has good extendable thigh supports on their seats.

Porsche does as well. Subaru in the Ascent, also.

I always tilt the bottom of the seat as steep as it will go (up in front, down in back).

Right, and if there was a wider range there, it could help. But I find it doesn't actually get anywhere steep enough.

• Informative
Yes, if there were an option to change to different seats, I would. I added cushioning in the center well and that helps some, but after a year and a half, these are the most uncomfortable seats I've had in a car. The addition of the cushion has been a big help.

different strokes for.....
I really like the m3 seats and have driven almost 35000 miles in mine. better than the other cars I've owned. I have a history of 2 back surgeries but my back likes the m3 seats.

obviously there is something about every car (or every thing) that a minority of people dislike.

• Love
Reactions: Joshan
Most comfortable car seat I've ever sat in. Tesla's best car seats. Zero comfort issues. My thighs never hurt. Everything feels relieved sitting in these cushioned seats with the seat heater on. I've fallen asleep in them several times

If you want to talk about uncomfortable seats, Model S Gen 1

I am noticing more often now after a year long ownership how uncomfortable the front edge of the driver's seat is.
My right leg is pressed too hard against the thigh support it becomes uncomfortable.

It will be the reason for trading in my 2019 Model 3 when Tesla makes better seats.
Is there anything one can see in a photo? Has the seat cushion compressed over time?

My BMW had sport seats with the thigh extension. Those were the best seats. I find the Model 3 seats to be very good, but I miss the thigh extension.

I complained about my Subarus above; what I did was try a few seat cushions. The ones I liked were from Purple (the mattress people) -
Purple® Seat Cushions - Guaranteed To Make Your Butt Feel Great

First I got the "Portable" but it wasn't quite what I wanted in the car (I now use that at the office). I then got the "Royal" and it worked quite nicely. I haven't tried either in my Tesla

Reactions: sandange
Test Drove a Y and I only had thigh support for about half my thigh length very uncomfortable.
I also have a BMW with sport seats the best I have ever had . But even my 96 Integra has better thigh
support. Other than that I liked the car a lot but the ride was as Consumer Reports said somewhat harsh.
Where I would have wanted maximum road feel when I was Young now I don;t want to feel the bumps as much.