Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's side B pillar camera obscured - moon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondered if anyone has seen lots of the camera obscured messages for the driver's side B pillar camera?

I was coming back on an empty, unlit motorway and it kept saying obscured.
A dry, clear, moonlit evening which actually gave me the best 315 Wh/mi efficiency I have seen on the motorway so far in my 3P+.
Now the only thing I could think is that it was worse when I was heading with the moon shining on that side of the car. It would go if someone overtook, presumably headlights, but then back again a bit later. However when I switched from M5 to M4 it stopped happening.
As the moon was in a different orientation to the car, my suspicion is that it was the moon that was causing this.
The car is running 20190.40.50.7 and I was using NoA. So no auto lane changes on indication when the obscure message was showing.

Just wondered if anyone has seen lots of the camera obscured messages for the driver's side B pillar camera?

I was coming back on an empty, unlit motorway and it kept saying obscured.
A dry, clear, moonlit evening which actually gave me the best 315 Wh/mi efficiency I have seen on the motorway so far in my 3P+.
Now the only thing I could think is that it was worse when I was heading with the moon shining on that side of the car. It would go if someone overtook, presumably headlights, but then back again a bit later. However when I switched from M5 to M4 it stopped happening.
As the moon was in a different orientation to the car, my suspicion is that it was the moon that was causing this.
The car is running 20190.40.50.7 and I was using NoA. So no auto lane changes on indication when the obscure message was showing.
The update 2019.40.2.1 seemed to bring a lot of these warning messages. Before this update direct sunlight on the camera would cause the message but now it can just come up randomly with 2 or more if there is a little bit of spray on the motorway

The moon won't be the cause. The main issue will be the fact that you are driving on an unlit motorway. The camera will be looking out to pitch black, therefore the camera can't see anything and you get this message. If a car then comes near you and lights up the lane the message will disappear until it gets dark again. The same on country roads where your driving near a hedge, all it can see is the hedge so will pop up there to. The other times I have seen it is if the sun is shining straight into the camera.

The moon won't be the cause. The main issue will be the fact that you are driving on an unlit motorway. The camera will be looking out to pitch black, therefore the camera can't see anything and you get this message. If a car then comes near you and lights up the lane the message will disappear until it gets dark again. The same on country roads where your driving near a hedge, all it can see is the hedge so will pop up there to. The other times I have seen it is if the sun is shining straight into the camera.
This a very helpful explanation and is consistent with my experience. Thank you.

Same experience and came to same conclusion. The only way the car knows the cameras are obscured is when it can't make out a clear image. Or rather, as long as there is a reasonable quality image, the camera isn't badly obscured.