Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's side door button opened my rear window!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just had the strangest experience. This is day 7 of ownership and overall I'm happy with the car, but I hope weird things like this do not become a recurring experience.

I pulled up to work and had to show my ID at the gate, and I didn't want to roll down my window because just got my tint done on Saturday. When I came to a stop, I pressed the door button (may have been on "Hold" instead of "Park") but the rear right window rolled all the way down! I was pissed since I want the tint to cure for a couple more days and there hasn't been any sun out lately. I forgot about the emergency release so I ended up rolling down the other rear window to give the guard my ID. After that, I rolled all the windows up and went to my parking spot. I put the car in park and tried opening the door with the button, and my rear right window rolled down again! This time I got a video of it.

Anyway, I ended up using the emergency release to get out. Hoping my tint still ends up fine.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm assuming I'll have to do a soft reset when I go back to my car at lunch.

• Funny
Reactions: alseTrick
HAHAH funny you mention this. This was the EXACT same issue I had on the first day. Took it to the local Service center and they had to replace the control module in the driver door which they found to be faulty. Works like brand new now :) easy fix

System reset won't do anything to help the case. It's 100% defective hardware. Also, when you open the door manually they recommended I just lift the lever without pushing out as THAT sudden combination is what could damage the window. At least temporarily until you get it fixed

HAHAH funny you mention this. This was the EXACT same issue I had on the first day. Took it to the local Service center and they had to replace the control module in the driver door which they found to be faulty. Works like brand new now :) easy fix

Oh wow, thank you for responding! Did a soft reset do anything? I don't want to roll down the rear window for the 3rd time today because of the tint.

Also, how long did the replacement job take?

Oh wow, thank you for responding! Did a soft reset do anything? I don't want to roll down the rear window for the 3rd time today because of the tint.

Also, how long did the replacement job take?
reset did absolutely nothing. Replacement of that module plus a few other small issues I had took one day and my SC gave me a P85D model S loaner for the day. I was happy

Reactions: F_T_K and chasemym3
reset did absolutely nothing. Replacement of that module plus a few other small issues I had took one day and my SC gave me a P85D model S loaner for the day. I was happy

You're right. I just went back to my car and did the soft reset but same thing.

On top of that, my door keeps opening itself after I lock the car and walk away! I went inside McD's this morning and when I walked out, my door was open. I thought I may not have shut it all the way but when I got to work and parked, I checked my car 15 minutes later and the door was open again!

I called the service center and they were going to book me for Wednesday, but I told them the door opening on its own is a safety concern and they agreed to take me in today. They're sending a tow truck now (closest service center is 35 miles away) since I didn't want to take time off work to drive it there. I'm assuming they'll provide me with a loaner in case they don't fix it by today.

You're right. I just went back to my car and did the soft reset but same thing.

On top of that, my door keeps opening itself after I lock the car and walk away! I went inside McD's this morning and when I walked out, my door was open. I thought I may not have shut it all the way but when I got to work and parked, I checked my car 15 minutes later and the door was open again!

I called the service center and they were going to book me for Wednesday, but I told them the door opening on its own is a safety concern and they agreed to take me in today. They're sending a tow truck now (closest service center is 35 miles away) since I didn't want to take time off work to drive it there. I'm assuming they'll provide me with a loaner in case they don't fix it by today.
yeah that was my BIGGEST concern. I live in Boston and when it unlocked by itself literally anyone could walk in. So I made it urgent to the SC to get it fixed

yeah that was my BIGGEST concern. I live in Boston and when it unlocked by itself literally anyone could walk in. So I made it urgent to the SC to get it fixed

Yeah sounds like the same thing. My service advisor mentioned a body control module that may have gone haywire and he said he heard of one other M3 which also came in with the same problem.

Got a new MS 75D loaner so I hope they take their time! I'm actually getting a paint issue fixed too so hoping a couple weeks at least. But man, I didn't realize how much more efficient the M3 is. I'm averaging about ~220 Wh/mi in my car but this loaner is floating above 300 Wh/mi using the same driving habits. Makes me feel even better about our cars!

Yeah sounds like the same thing. My service advisor mentioned a body control module that may have gone haywire and he said he heard of one other M3 which also came in with the same problem.

Got a new MS 75D loaner so I hope they take their time! I'm actually getting a paint issue fixed too so hoping a couple weeks at least. But man, I didn't realize how much more efficient the M3 is. I'm averaging about ~220 Wh/mi in my car but this loaner is floating above 300 Wh/mi using the same driving habits. Makes me feel even better about our cars!
I wouldn't trust Tesla SC to do detailed body work like paint chips or corrections.. I've only heard terrible things honestly. But yeah the model s is Hella fun if you have insane mode!

I see where you are going with this and I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla SC tries to blame the failure on the tint process.
Did the tint people get water on the control module on the door?

So actually I was worried about this, but I've never had any issues tinting my other cars at this same place before. A little moisture near the window controls shouldn't be a big deal (i.e. rain). The fact that they've had a couple similar cases makes me wonder.

I wouldn't trust Tesla SC to do detailed body work like paint chips or corrections.. I've only heard terrible things honestly. But yeah the model s is Hella fun if you have insane mode!

Yeah but I don't know what else to do without spending my own money OOP. Pretty unacceptable that the car came like this from the factory and the chip is only going to get worse so I don't know what else to do. I just hope they don't ruin my chrome delete. Hey, by chance did you tint your windows around when this happened?

So actually I was worried about this, but I've never had any issues tinting my other cars at this same place before. A little moisture near the window controls shouldn't be a big deal (i.e. rain). The fact that they've had a couple similar cases makes me wonder.

Yeah but I don't know what else to do without spending my own money OOP. Pretty unacceptable that the car came like this from the factory and the chip is only going to get worse so I don't know what else to do. I just hope they don't ruin my chrome delete. Hey, by chance did you tint your windows around when this happened?
No, I would say the tinting is completely independent of that. This happened to me first day of delivery. Funny part is when they were demoing it everything was working as expected - I only started having the issue literally as soon as I pulled out of the dealership hahah

Reactions: chasemym3
I see where you are going with this and I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla SC tries to blame the failure on the tint process.
I’ve seen on other sites warning people about a module getting damaged by water during the tinting process and it not being covered by warranty, people had to pay for the repair, there was a warning to people to only take your car to places that take precautions to catch the water from going into the module. I’ll see if I can find the link

Reactions: chasemym3
I’ve seen on other sites warning people about a module getting damaged by water during the tinting process and it not being covered by warranty, people had to pay for the repair, there was a warning to people to only take your car to places that take precautions to catch the water from going into the module. I’ll see if I can find the link

Sure that would be great. i just got my car back yesterday and fortunately it was covered. Also the fact that the other guy on this thread had it happen straight off the lot implies it has nothing to do with the tint job.