Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers side door handle fails to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivers side door handle will not open when I approach My 2017 Model S 75D with the FOB key. The only way to open the door is from the inside. Supercharging in Kingston Ontario seems to resolve it. Not sure anyone else has noticed this. I now think I know how to reproduce it. Here are the details for anyone interested:

Situation:
=======

I think I have discovered a software bug affecting the drivers side door handle operation in the 2017 Model S 75D.

Problem:
=======

Drivers side door handle no longer presents with passenger handles on approach to the vehicle. This has happened twice to my Model 3 in the past 2 months. As a result, I have to open the drivers side door from the inside of the vehicle.

The problem cleared when I re-charged my Model S at the Supercharger location in Kingston, Ontario. After my charge all door handles resumed normal operation and never failed again, until now.

Now that they have failed a second time, I believe I know what initiated the failure. This last Sunday 14 Jan 2018, I used the 72 KW Supercharger in Ottawa, which is located in the underground garage at the Rideau Shopping Center.

Tesla Supercharger in Ottawa Opens with 8 Stalls at CF Rideau Centre

I do not normally charge my car at the supercharger in Ottawa as that is my home city. I leave that for the people passing through who need the charge. This is my second time there out of necessity as I was not sure I would have enough charge to make it home due to the cold weather.

Once home, I plugged my car in as usual. In the morning when I approached my car to drive to work, the drivers door handle started failing again for the second time. Immediately I remembered that the last time the drivers door handle failed like this was when I made my first visit to the Ottawa Supercharger on a cold day. The failure occurs after the first home charge following the supercharge from the Ottawa 72 kW Urban Supercharger.

Working Theory:
=============

The Tesla 72 kW Urban Supercharger affects the computer initialization sequence and causes the drivers side door to fail to extend when the FOB approaches the vehicle. The failure is noticed after the next level 2, 240 VAC home charge.

Work-Around:
==========

To repair this I suspect I have to again return to a non-Urban Supercharger like the one in Kingston Ontario. These new Urban Supercharges seem to be causing me grief. I discovered that charging at the DC Supercharger in Kingston, Ontario corrected the door handle issue by chance on a trip to the Toronto Tesla repair center lol. The Toronto repair facility looked at the door handle but could not find nothing visibly wrong with it.... Hmm.

Moving Forward:
=============

I am commenting on the situation here because the 72 kW Ottawa Supercharger is different than the Kingston Supercharger and may affect the initialization process for when the vehicle senses my FOB on approach after a normal home charge.

Perhaps you already know about the bug or at least potential bug. If not, can you at least tell me if this is even possible or just a coincidence. When I return to Kingston, this will be officially be reproduced once if my door handle starts working again. If this is the first time you have heard about this, I am willing to help you troubleshoot as other Tesla owners may be exposed to a similar failure.

In the interim can you tell me what else could be the possible cause and what I should do about it.

peter

It seems rather unlikely that its a software issue. I suspect its just a coincidence, with a loose/breaking wire in the door handle that just happens to work and fail at the superchargers. If it really was a software issue it would be effecting many Teslas, where as the door handles are very common physical failure points.

I too have a hard time thinking that a supercharger would cause such a fault. Funny the for the door handle to fail twice after visiting the new Urban style 72 kW supercharger. An intermittent wire in the door mechanism had plenty of time to fail since it recovered from the failed state 16 Dec 2017 at the Kingston supercharger. I am having an equally hard time accepting the broken wire theory. Most chargers are still the older DC superchargers like the ones in Kingston. The Ottawa supercharger is the new Urban type. Many owners may not have experience this yet because a) it is a new charger, and b) they would have to supercharge at a charger like Ottawa, and then not visit an older supercharger to notice. Perhaps a small pool of cars at least for now until the Urban charger get more popular.

Reboot the software (hold both thumbwheel buttons down until console goes black).

Try the scenario again.

List all your car configuration settings that affect locking.

Are you using and switching (fob recognition) between driver profiles during this whole scenario?

Turn proximity presenting off, repeat scenario, instead touch the front driver door handle. Same result?

Turn passive entry off, repeat scenario, use fob to open doors. Same result?

Reboot the software (hold both thumbwheel buttons down until console goes black).

Try the scenario again.

List all your car configuration settings that affect locking.

Are you using and switching (fob recognition) between driver profiles during this whole scenario?

Turn proximity presenting off, repeat scenario, instead touch the front driver door handle. Same result?

Turn passive entry off, repeat scenario, use fob to open doors. Same result?

Thanks for the suggestions! I already tried rebooting the sw, no change:-(
I also returned to the Kingston Supercharger this weekend and re-charged as before. I was hoping this would fix the door handle issue like it did the last time but it did not. So my working theory that the New Ottawa Urban Super charger somehow led to the cause of my drivers side door handle to fail to present with my approaching FOB has failed. I guess the good news is, the problem is with my car and not the Urban Super Chargers.

I will try your other suggestions and get back to you. Failing that I will make another appointment with the Tesla Store.

Thankyou.
peter

Curious ... When your car is unlocked and handles are presented... can you press and hold on the hatch area of the fob and will that pop your charging door open?
Yes, all door handles extended (except drivers door), pushed and held on hatch button and the charger port popped open.

I tried the other things you suggested:

Turned the proximity presenting off: Approached the car with the FOB, and nothing. Pressed on the drivers side door handle and it still would not present. tried again by pressing the FOB twice and still nothing. My wife has the "first" FOB but usually only mine is used.

Curiously: Auto -present Handles OFF/ON option is now unavailable. i can neither turn it on or off.

It sounds like you have a good old fashioned dead driver's door handle. It's gone non-responsive. Could be it's got a power connection issue (no power), a data issue (poor data connection), a local controller issue which might be fixed with a learning and calibration routine done by service center. If their software can't "see" the driver's handle module to find and fix the issue, they're going to go into the door and look for signs of life (loose connections) ... and if necessary replace the handle.

Most likely you just have the same issue as everyone else, that the wires on the micro-switches are starting to break. Vibrations change the position enough that they work sometimes and not others... Give it a little more time and it will probably stop presenting ever again. (Until the handle, or micro-switches and harness, are replaced.)

Moving Forward:
=============

I am commenting on the situation here because the 72 kW Ottawa Supercharger is different than the Kingston Supercharger and may affect the initialization process for when the vehicle senses my FOB on approach after a normal home charge.

Perhaps you already know about the bug or at least potential bug. If not, can you at least tell me if this is even possible or just a coincidence. When I return to Kingston, this will be officially be reproduced once if my door handle starts working again. If this is the first time you have heard about this, I am willing to help you troubleshoot as other Tesla owners may be exposed to a similar failure.

In the interim can you tell me what else could be the possible cause and what I should do about it.

You do realize that this forum is not sponsored/run by Tesla right? You would need to call/email Tesla if you want a response from them.

did hear that Tesla are having problems with some recent handles dropping so they jam.
No idea how widespread the issue but assume batch based, but pity really since they seemed to have got on top of early issues
If the handle is not presenting, try lifting it a touch with your finger/plastic shim and see if that makes a difference

Most likely you just have the same issue as everyone else, that the wires on the micro-switches are starting to break. Vibrations change the position enough that they work sometimes and not others... Give it a little more time and it will probably stop presenting ever again. (Until the handle, or micro-switches and harness, are replaced.)

You do realize that this forum is not sponsored/run by Tesla right? You would need to call/email Tesla if you want a response from them.
Thanks, this is the most likely situation I think. This is the second time they have failed. Yes, I do know that this is not a sponsored Tesla forum. Last time my drivers side door handle failed to present, I drove 200 miles to Toronto to have it fixed after driving with that condition for over a month. On my way there, I stopped to super-charge in Kingston and the door handle decided it was going to work!! It worked for about another month now its failed again. I have been searching on line for for the most likely cause or if there was something I could do without having to go back for service. Looks like I will make make the appointment again:)

Again thank you for taking the time to respond! Much appreciated.