Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's Side Rear-view Mirror Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have had my '22 S Plaid to the SC 3 times now to fix my driver's side rearview mirror glass which vibrates at nearly any speed. This is very annoying and distorts my view. I've never had this issue in a car at any price. Service Center has replaced the glass 2 times (didn't fix) and the entire mirror assembly (didn't fix). I'm very annoyed they keep giving me the car back without the issue resolved. Does anyone else have this issue? Does Tesla consider it a "feature" of their flagship vehicle and not an issue and therefore my hopes of it being fixed are futile.

Reactions: PearlShark
I just got back my 2021 refresh Model S Long Range that presented this issue on the driver's-side sideview mirror from day 1 (June 29, 2021). I mentioned it on many visits and was told things like it was a "known issue" and that the "engineering team is working on a fix," etc. This week they agreed to replace the entire mirror & housing (it's a complete part, can't really just replace the glass).

New part does not have vibrating issue everyone is describing - so it is possible to get a fix!

Only thing is, and I noticed this on the first drive bc it was kinda weird - the glass has been updated since last year and is a different perspective of sorts, kind of more wide angle. So it feels like I've traded the jiggle for a weird wide angle perspective, but whatevs.

Jus lettin' ya'll know, good luck!

I just got back my 2021 refresh Model S Long Range that presented this issue on the driver's-side sideview mirror from day 1 (June 29, 2021). I mentioned it on many visits and was told things like it was a "known issue" and that the "engineering team is working on a fix," etc. This week they agreed to replace the entire mirror & housing (it's a complete part, can't really just replace the glass).

New part does not have vibrating issue everyone is describing - so it is possible to get a fix!

Only thing is, and I noticed this on the first drive bc it was kinda weird - the glass has been updated since last year and is a different perspective of sorts, kind of more wide angle. So it feels like I've traded the jiggle for a weird wide angle perspective, but whatevs.

Huh that's interesting. Can we get a pic of that?

Can you share your service invoice if you don’t mind? I’m getting a lot of push back from my SC on replacing the whole housing for vibrating glass.

I just left my service center after having my driver sideview mirror replaced and it STILL shakes, and also has the weird wide angle view. I don’t like it at all because it’s different from my passenger side view mirror and it screws up my vision/perception 😖😖

X2 on keep your original mirror!!

Invoice:
4BF4A218-7CD7-4AA0-825C-5564D1FD51EC.jpeg

Be careful what you wish for, the wide angle mirror is trippy after checking your passenger mirror and then looking into the driver one. If they’re going to redesign the mirrors then at least replace both to make them more symmetric

Reactions: nilesborg
Not digging this weird wide view lensing side view deal.... FYI if you've got this jiggling problem just keep your original mirror. Now I have to make an appt for them to see if this one is jacked... Mega lame.

I made a fuss about the new weird stupid ultra mega wide eye straining new mirror - service tech swapped my "new" one with an existing one he found on the lot... Now this one is even more wiggly than my original. Wish I had just let it be. If you have a shaky mirror don't get it fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
Just got my car back from service today. This was the 3rd time since last summer it's been at the service center for at least the mirror shaking issue (among many others), excluding the mobile service time I took the tech for an extended drive until he admitted it was still a problem after the first two attempts at "fixing it" did absolutely nothing to fix the issue.

Anyway, they finally replaced the whole mirror assembly instead of just screwing with it - pun intended - and the shaking is finally gone now, hurrah. I have the new wide-angle mirror, which I actually like as it helps me see more objects that used to be in my blind spot before (in previous non-Tesla cars I used to buy an aftermarket "aspherical" mirror to help with blind spots).

The service center did not replace the colored mirror housing, which is good since mine is wrapped in stealth PPF and I was dreading having to go back to the wrap shop again. Looking at the EPC catalog, this makes sense.

For those who are curious, here's the service item on my invoice:

Untitled.png

Interestingly enough, the part number for the mirror assembly isn't on the EPC catalog - looks like they still have the old ones on there:

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 4.44.02 PM.png

• Informative
Just got my car back from service today. This was the 3rd time since last summer it's been at the service center for at least the mirror shaking issue (among many others), excluding the mobile service time I took the tech for an extended drive until he admitted it was still a problem after the first two attempts at "fixing it" did absolutely nothing to fix the issue.

Anyway, they finally replaced the whole mirror assembly instead of just screwing with it - pun intended - and the shaking is finally gone now, hurrah. I have the new wide-angle mirror, which I actually like as it helps me see more objects that used to be in my blind spot before (in previous non-Tesla cars I used to buy an aftermarket "aspherical" mirror to help with blind spots).

The service center did not replace the colored mirror housing, which is good since mine is wrapped in stealth PPF and I was dreading having to go back to the wrap shop again. Looking at the EPC catalog, this makes sense.

For those who are curious, here's the service item on my invoice:

View attachment 813930

Interestingly enough, the part number for the mirror assembly isn't on the EPC catalog - looks like they still have the old ones on there:

View attachment 813931
Whole new partner number, not a revision. Although, it says B which seems to think it has already gone through a revision. Good to know! Thanks.

Curious though - can you capture a photo showing the "wide angle mirror". Interested in what this looks like.

Much appreciated it! I will have to look at my shaking mirror next time to try and compare.
Most welcome. I’m just glad my shaking mirror was finally replaced after nearly a year of ownership. Real shame on Tesla service for all the pushback they gave me on properly fixing such a basic issue on such an expensive car…

PS: the replacement mirror assembly now exhibit a slight squeak upon opening or closing the door (whenever the door moves, really). But I’m really not bothered by this as much as the mirror vibration, and I really dread going by to the SC for absolutely no fix.

2021 and 2022 MY both have this vibration. Only drivers side. Reminds me of Ducati mirrors that become useless on the highway, except that on the bike it is due to the engine vibration..

Tried to get 2021 fixed last year and it resulted in me getting an even worse mirror that was stuck aiming at the floor. So I went back and got the original installed again.

With the 2022 I’m not touching it for now.

Should we try to get both sides replaced to the new one for balance?