Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's vanity mirror shattered - manufacturing defect - Tesla will not cover it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TomT

Technical Maven
Mar 24, 2014
NE Georgia
20200630_121233.jpg
20200630_125553.jpg

I happened to open the cover for the driver's side vanity mirror the other day and discovered it was cracked. We never use it so I have no idea how long it was that was that way... It appears to be a stress or manufacturing defect. I contacted Tesla and they first said that I had probably hit it with something... I told them no and it would be hard to hit it in that location regardless. I also pointed out that there were no impact signs on the cover and that the stress cracks were on the inside of the glass (you could tell by running a nail over it). Then they changed their story to "well, you may be right but since we have no way to verify how or why it cracked, we can't warranty it." I expressed my disappointment and dismay and was meet with the verbal equivalent of a shrug... So, it is going to cost me $135 for a new one... Tesla customer service IS an oxymoron.

Reactions: KenC
No, that is something beneath the fabric and much more accentuated in the photo. The passenger's side has something similar too. Last time I checked it was probably a few month ago and it was fine then. Heat, stress, manufacturing defect; I don't know...

There is a big tear/dent in above the glass. Any chance that had anything to do with it?

So when you say this is a manufacturers defect because of a stress crack, how does that work ?

I mean all glass in these visors can break due to an impact, or a twist. Both of these are essentially stress cracks.
How is that a manufacturers defect ?

Glass does not typically just crack like that all by itself...
I don’t blame Tesla for not covering it.

You may not know how it broke, or who broke it, but a crack like that did not happen because the visor heated or cooled enough to cause enough movement to fracture the glass.
It’s made of soft materials. ?

View attachment 559642 View attachment 559644

I happened to open the cover for the driver's side vanity mirror the other day and discovered it was cracked. We never use it so I have no idea how long it was that was that way... It appears to be a stress or manufacturing defect. I contacted Tesla and they first said that I had probably hit it with something... I told them no and it would be hard to hit it in that location regardless. I also pointed out that there were no impact signs on the cover and that the stress cracks were on the inside of the glass (you could tell by running a nail over it). Then they changed their story to "well, you may be right but since we have no way to verify how or why it cracked, we can't warranty it." I expressed my disappointment and dismay and was meet with the verbal equivalent of a shrug... So, it is going to cost me $135 for a new one... Tesla customer service IS an oxymoron.
this just happened to me too! I was in the car when it occurred. I was sitting in my garage messing around like I often do playing skyforce when I hear the unmistakable sound (which I guess is mistakable after all lol) of when ur driving and a rock hits your windshield hard enough to crack it. I never touched the visor at any point. inlooked up to see if something had fallen from my ceiling maybe some knockdown texture material from some water damage a few years ago but found nothing and the windshield looked fine couldn't find anything that fell. I thought I was tripping until I went to use the mirror the following morning (yesterday) and it's very cracked. I would bet my life that there was no physical contact of any kind whatsoever when it occurred. in fact (and im not glass expert or anything lol), the crack is on the inside of the mirror glass, if that makes sense? like you can't feel the cracks when you run your fingers over them. so bizarre! but it definitely happened in a similar or the same way as OP, whether or not anyone believes us (weird amount of resistance/disbelief—for a moment, I thought I was on Reddit lol)

Attachments

• 134B6FA0-7A2F-4073-B845-F200B4D8DAE6.jpeg
    134B6FA0-7A2F-4073-B845-F200B4D8DAE6.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 46
this just happened to me too! I was in the car when it occurred. I was sitting in my garage messing around like I often do playing skyforce when I hear the unmistakable sound (which I guess is mistakable after all lol) of when ur driving and a rock hits your windshield hard enough to crack it. I never touched the visor at any point. inlooked up to see if something had fallen from my ceiling maybe some knockdown texture material from some water damage a few years ago but found nothing and the windshield looked fine couldn't find anything that fell. I thought I was tripping until I went to use the mirror the following morning (yesterday) and it's very cracked. I would bet my life that there was no physical contact of any kind whatsoever when it occurred. in fact (and im not glass expert or anything lol), the crack is on the inside of the mirror glass, if that makes sense? like you can't feel the cracks when you run your fingers over them. so bizarre! but it definitely happened in a similar or the same way as OP, whether or not anyone believes us (weird amount of resistance/disbelief—for a moment, I thought I was on Reddit lol)
Pretty sure you 2 should sync up and open up a ticket with Tesla. What are the chances of 2 people having the same exact issue...

View attachment 559642 View attachment 559644

You would have the same response at most car dealers. Without some evidence, most manufactures will not warranty it.

Damn, now I need to check mine to see if they are cracked.

There is a big tear/dent in above the glass. Any chance that had anything to do with it?
Looking at the photo, the lines begin to spread above the point in stress you’re referring to. Analyzing the crack, you can tell the point of impact (cause) of the crack started from the opposite side since thats where the lines begin to spread out and become larger.