Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers Window Stuck halfway and multiple alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of a long one, sorry!
Drove through a rather large puddle the other day, one that I had gone through before but due to the rain & flooding, it was a little deeper than usual. But still nothing major so proceeded to go through it slowly then half way through, the drivers window suddenly opened letting all the water in and got various alerts saying manual door release had been used and the drivers door was open, when it wasn't.

I was unable to close the window and the door open message with audible alert would not go away. I was able to still drive the vehicle and had to collect kids from school and upon opening the passenger door drivers side, that window would also not close properly as had overlapped the outside trim and door could not be closed.

Managed to get it back home on my drive and wrapped in plastic sheet as was tipping it down and inside was getting soaked. Called service who could remotely see the alerts and told me to do a hard reset (foot on brake) which I done twice but still could not get driver window to close or was able to close passenger door still.

Advised to call recovery which I did and they turned up 5 hours later and when they opened the driver door and tried to close the window it did, same with passenger door. I was then able to lock the vehicle and close the windows fully, however the app still reported the drivers window being vented when it wasn't.

My concern is why it happened in first place and fact app still reports window being open and worried it might happen again. The passenger window has also scratched the chrome trim on the outside so its been booked into service for a full assessment and any applicable fixes, will update end of next week.

Would be interested in meantime if anyone else has had similar issues but even when I spoke to service, they said they hadn't come across any previous incidents like this.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    707.8 KB · Views: 148
ha ha I've got visions of driving through 5ft of water.
There's been other posts about the trim being scratched by the glass due to it failing to drop. In most cases it seems the SC will replace the trim. However if you say, I drove through a lot of water and the electrics went funny they might think twice about covering things under warranty.

Reactions: mswlogo
My car has opened a window once, with the car locked. Got in the car to find the passenger side front window was partially open, and, as luck would have it, it had rained heavily overnight, so the car was pretty wet inside. The odd thing is that we were away at the time, so I had my phone on most of the time, and yet didn't get any alert on the app.

I seem to remember that one or two others have also had phantom window opening events, too, so although rare, I think it is something that can happen. As it happened to my car in heavy rain, albeit when parked, I wonder if there's something related to water getting in to a connection somewhere.

How deep was the water? You say the window opened and let all the water in which makes it sound that the water was very, very deep.
Yes I did make it sound like the water was very deep but it honestly wasn't...it was a fairly large puddle made worse by some flooding during the day, Id say it was 2ft deep max.

ha ha I've got visions of driving through 5ft of water.
There's been other posts about the trim being scratched by the glass due to it failing to drop. In most cases it seems the SC will replace the trim. However if you say, I drove through a lot of water and the electrics went funny they might think twice about covering things under warranty.
Hopefully they will replace the trim and the second person at service center I spoke to said it would all be covered under warranty so should be ok hopefully.

My car has opened a window once, with the car locked. Got in the car to find the passenger side front window was partially open, and, as luck would have it, it had rained heavily overnight, so the car was pretty wet inside. The odd thing is that we were away at the time, so I had my phone on most of the time, and yet didn't get any alert on the app.

I seem to remember that one or two others have also had phantom window opening events, too, so although rare, I think it is something that can happen. As it happened to my car in heavy rain, albeit when parked, I wonder if there's something related to water getting in to a connection somewhere.
As you say, there could well be a link there with it being exposed to large amounts of water, hopefully they will look into it thoroughly next week when it goes into service.

2ft deep is deep.
That's exactly what I thought...

If I was a betting man, I'd say the water managed to get inside of the door card and must have triggered the electrics in thinking it should be open and that must be the reason why it wouldn't close right away.

It shouldn't have happened though and eventually, our cars will need to be able to deal with large puddles! I shouldn't and can't see myself doing a 3 point turn after seeing a largish puddle in front of me.

It shouldn't have happened though and eventually, our cars will need to be able to deal with large puddles! I shouldn't and can't see myself doing a 3 point turn after seeing a largish puddle in front of me.

My ex wife once thought like that even though I expressly told her not to go down a certain road as it always flooded in one particular place. Mind you, it was me that ended up in shin deep water trying to push the damn car out of the large puddle after she hydraulically locked the engine. The crankshaft decided that it was tired of living inside the engine, bathed by lovely warm oil and preferred life outside in the fresh air. What a mess that was!:mad:

• Funny
Reactions: Llama. and Adopado
Yes I did make it sound like the water was very deep but it honestly wasn't...it was a fairly large puddle made worse by some flooding during the day, Id say it was 2ft deep max.

Wow ... that's well up the side of the door ... didn't it leak into the footwell too? I can't think that the door seals can hold back water under pressure. As others have said the door has plenty of electrical connections inside ... rather you than me! I'm now thinking of James Bond's Lotus Esprit!

FYI, if you've ever replaced the puddle lights in the door trim, you will notice that the window drops exactly as you described. It sounds to me like the depth of the water allowed ingress into the door and buggered the puddle light connection.

2ft though?? 60cm?? You're a braver man than I!

FYI, if you've ever replaced the puddle lights in the door trim, you will notice that the window drops exactly as you described. It sounds to me like the depth of the water allowed ingress into the door and buggered the puddle light connection.

2ft though?? 60cm?? You're a braver man than I!
I’d have thought that 2 feet of water would have lapped over the bonnet, it did with my Discovery. I had to trade off forward motion against water in the engine compartment.

Reactions: Adopado
Model 3s are 4'9" high, so 2' of water would be at least half if not nearly 2/3rd up the outer skin of the doors.

I would +1 @Obliter8's suggestion that water got into the puddle light electrics, especially since the doors have two holes at the bottom that are supposed to be for drainage, not the other way around. :(

Last edited: