Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers Window Stuck halfway and multiple alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely the OP didn't mean 2' deep because he mentioned other cars going through without problem. That depth would probably have caused at least one of the others to become stranded & most to turn around (if I saw vehicles with water above the wheel arches I would never proceed regardless of the vehicle I was driving).

Either way, if it really was 2' deep & Tesla now know that I doubt they will repair without payment.

That's exactly what I thought...

If I was a betting man, I'd say the water managed to get inside of the door card and must have triggered the electrics in thinking it should be open and that must be the reason why it wouldn't close right away.

It shouldn't have happened though and eventually, our cars will need to be able to deal with large puddles! I shouldn't and can't see myself doing a 3 point turn after seeing a largish puddle in front of me.
Surely the OP didn't mean 2' deep because he mentioned other cars going through without problem. That depth would probably have caused at least one of the others to become stranded & most to turn around (if I saw vehicles with water above the wheel arches I would never proceed regardless of the vehicle I was driving).

Either way, if it really was 2' deep & Tesla now know that I doubt they will repair without payment.

On reflection, 2ft was a little overestimated, never been great with measurements! I would say water was deep enough to lap over the door sills, I think you are correct in that it got inside the door card and messed with the electrics. Ive explained to Tesla exactly what happened and they assure me it will be covered under warranty but will find out for sure when it goes in next week.

Hell with the doors. What else did water get into? I’d be concerned about water getting into the battery or some other areas it shouldn’t. My guess is you’ll have gremlins gradually increase over time.

On reflection, 2ft was a little overestimated, never been great with measurements! I would say water was deep enough to lap over the door sills, I think you are correct in that it got inside the door card and messed with the electrics. Ive explained to Tesla exactly what happened and they assure me it will be covered under warranty but will find out for sure when it goes in next week.
Fingers crossed for you. Lapping over the sills sounds a bit better, but it's still high given that the interior of the car is lower than that, and the battery, etc (as said above) is even lower.

Appreciate there wasn't much you can do. If it were me I think I'd stop dead and do a three point turn and find another route, even if it annoyed people.

Car all fixed under warranty, below extract from Tesla invoice for anyone interested -

Concern: Windshield & top glass : Driver window comes up with alert that it doesnt close and rear passenger window.
Window opened itself while going through puddle now won't close, recovery has been called
rear driver side and passenger side window opened - 2:45 - 4th feb
Identified water coming through where the front harness passes through the firewall. Harness seal was not fitted properly
and let water in. I have refitted the seal. have replaced the controller (Confirmed corrosion in old controller when I opened
it up).
Reassembled interior and under bonnet furniture removed in diagnosis. Configured and tested, now all working as
designed.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Module - Body Controller - RH (Remove & Replace)

Will be avoiding any large puddles in the future though, just in case!

My car has opened a window once, with the car locked. Got in the car to find the passenger side front window was partially open, and, as luck would have it, it had rained heavily overnight, so the car was pretty wet inside. The odd thing is that we were away at the time, so I had my phone on most of the time, and yet didn't get any alert on the app.

I seem to remember that one or two others have also had phantom window opening events, too, so although rare, I think it is something that can happen. As it happened to my car in heavy rain, albeit when parked, I wonder if there's something related to water getting in to a connection somewhere.

My last BMW M3 had a phantom window issue. Had it sat in BMW service centre for two weeks under CCTV with no window movement. Then got the car back, and as my girlfriend got out the car, the window dropped. Looked at her hand position and she caught the window open button every time she got out of the passenger side...

Mysteriously, when she drove it she also managed to catch the driver and rear windows too. 🤬🤬