Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driveshaft clicking ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's 2014 S makes the clicking or slight clunking sound that a lot of S's have made when switching between slowing down and accelerating etc.

I've heard conflicting things about the source and also if its just a nuisance or if there is something really wrong.

If its just annoying I'd rather just ignore it, can someone clear it up for me? thanks

Obviously the clicking noise wasnt you using the search function....;)

Anyways from what I've read its something that can be fixed but I personally dont have this issue so I cant speak to the fix itself.

My '14 S60 is at the Costa Mesa service center with this very issue. Will let you know the outcome. Several test drives with techs to verify the noise. Not normal. And with only 44k on my odo, not something I want to live with for years to come. We'll see!

Edit: interesting thing we found on one of the test drives, if we turned regen to low it stopped, so that suggests drive unit but I don't want to assume anything until they have time to do proper diag

Edit2: In the mean time they gave me a loaner, wow these newer seats are comfy! lol

How does grease stop this? can someone post the procedure?

This post from that link sounds like the CV joint:

"I had this same issue at 140,000 miles. Half shafts were repacked with grease. Noise was gone. Now at 147,000 miles and noise is starting to reappear. I suspect that the torque of the drive motor is too strong for the half shaft design. I have heard about other cars with high horse power engines having similar "clicking" half shaft issues."

How does grease stop this? can someone post the procedure?

This post from that link sounds like the CV joint:

"I had this same issue at 140,000 miles. Half shafts were repacked with grease. Noise was gone. Now at 147,000 miles and noise is starting to reappear. I suspect that the torque of the drive motor is too strong for the half shaft design. I have heard about other cars with high horse power engines having similar "clicking" half shaft issues."

Can't speak for anyone else, but I brought mine in for this issue (and to catch up on recalls). They did the lube and torque stuff. Didn't help. When I brought it back they say they start with that as a default (and it may fix your issue). My tech today said they may have the "sound team" take a listen, I'm not sure what that means, but the tech that rode with me today was super cool, young smart lady, really seemed keen on trying to figure it out, so I'm optimistic.

Hi folks, its still not clear what needs grease so I will attach a couple of photos of generic hub/driveshaft etc (not tesla but equivalent) can someone edit and add circles or arrows to what part needs the grease? thanks

Attachments

• hub-nut-large.jpg
    hub-nut-large.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 383
  • DSS-1200HP-EVO-Rear-2.png
    DSS-1200HP-EVO-Rear-2.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 166
A friend of mine had similar sound. After numerous tries with different SC the last one found out, that during the rear drive unit swap the SC did not fix the drive unit properly, some bolts were missing already and the sound was the drive unit moving in the frame back and forth between acceleration and deceleration...

Hello, I have a Dec2015 85D 52Kmiles, I have both the slight shudder while accelerating and this clicking sound.

Front Drive clicking sounds:
This is a link to sound aiff file, is from me decelerating, nearly stopped and start accelerating again.

Front_Right_Drive_Clicking_2015_85D.wav

Shudder feels like an automatic transmission when its freewheeling and then you accelerate and you feel it engaging with a slight thud.

DS