TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Drivetrain 1.0, 1.5, 2.0... Specs? Plans?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by TEG, Aug 24, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Thank you Graham. Exactly. Though, I would have to have a discussion with you on the "technicality" and "ethicality" of selling a car with one spec and delivering it years later with another spec obscuring the change in model year and delivery nuances. But it's worse than that.

People on these pages know these new numbers from personal conversations with Elon.

Remember the whole failed-transmission-now-a-single-gear-but-we-are-thrilled-to-tell-you-we-managed-to-keep-the-acceleration-the-same-with-only-a-loss-in-top-speed thing?
    They threw that all out in a cost saving measure, all while continuing to publicly advertise the older faster numbers.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Since when is 3.9 an increase from 3.9?

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

When the old 3.9 is really 4.1. See the thread on the Drivetrain 1.0, 1.5, 2.0.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#44 TEG, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    Perhaps not too important to know if 2200 mAh or 2400 mAh but I noticed this old article:
    Electronic Design Welcome
    Has the above been "debunked"? I think electronicdesign.com is rather reputable.
    Maybe they redesigned it since then. I thought the ESS had a DC/DC converter, not a dedicated sheet for accesories. Also I think nominal pack voltage was 375V, not 324V. Perhaps they started with 2200mAh and switched to 2400mAh later.

5. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

JB did a nice article on the ESS a while back on the TM site. He explained alot of this too. Not sure if it is still there or not but may answer most of those questions as I recall.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

7. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

#47 Picasso, May 14, 2009
    12volt

12 volt still only comes from one sheet of the ESS. It does not take power from all. A good amount of debate has come from this section of the ess internal at tesla.

Tesla should have done an extra 12volt batt in the car but Martin did not want that at all. So the design is the way it is now. A hack.

(I do not nor have I ever worked for Tesla)

8. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

I thought the 12V is produced by the 400V-12V DC-DC converter under the hood (with an aluminum (aluminium)) heatsink on it ? :confused:
    The sentence in the Tesla spec is ambiguous and could imply either, eh ?
    I would not add a separate 12V battery either ... if the design was up to me.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I am fairly certain from seeing an EV conversion using a similar air conditioner that the infamous "toaster" under the hood (with heatsink on top) controls the air conditioning compressor and is not a DC/DC as some had thought.

Tesla patents suggest that 12v comes out of the ESS.
    I am not sure if it comes from "one sheet" or from all.
    The electronicdesign article suggests it takes 32.4V from one sheet and uses a small DC/DC to convert that for the accessories.
    I think a more logical/common solution (like what they did on my RangerEV) is to take the full traction pack voltage (e.g.: > 300V) and DC/DC that down to about 13.5V. Many EVs do use a traditional 12V battery as somewhat of a buffer so that brief spikes in power load won't overload the DC/DC converter.

Some of this rolls back to the suggestion Dr.Taras got to install an aux 12V system for his upgraded stereo. Whatever Tesla does seems to have some current limit for the accesories.

10. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

#50 Picasso, May 14, 2009
    Hence why a extra 12volt batt should have been added. To act as a buffer for the loads the current converter cant provide. Its a fine line that current converter walks with the amount of power is can put out at 12volt.

lots of funny stuff in the ESS, a smoke detector that looks like it came off my celling at home. A moisture detector that seems to be disabled. lots of wasted space...I've seen and poked around in the tesla ess.

11. Vger

Vger Active Member

I was told by a Tesla staffer that the 2010 Roadsters (now in production in UK) would contain a replacement for the "toaster" under the hood. He said it would be smaller and result in a better, cleaner design and operation. I don't remember better than that. Perhaps others in the 2010 order pipeline can make inquiries and find out more. So it does seem that there are some more substantial changes than just the interior re-design in the 2010 cars.

12. Alpine Driver

Alpine Driver Member

I was told by a tesla technician - but this is more than half a year ago - that they are redesigning the HVAC system for the 2009 cars (meantime: 2010 cars). Main reason: new system is cheaper.
    When I told this to the marketing guy at the event, he told me: uh, yes, but main reason: the new HVAC is more quiet. Its a risk when you take real technicians to a customer event, we then joked :wink:

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Hopefully this will also enable RHD versions.

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah, I was told some time ago that the HVAC needed to change to enable RHD. Wasn't clear what/when that change would be. Hopefully this is it.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Any information on the 2.0 motor continuous and max kw ratings?

16. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

17. Vger

Vger Active Member

Here is the new "toaster" under the hood of Roadster 2.0 (MY2010) shakedown build #501:

Attached Files:

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

"Toaster" = Air-conditioner compressor controller (...?...)

19. Tdave

Tdave Member

None of the above. It takes the high voltage from the ESS and converts it to 12V to run the accessories.

20. Joseph

Joseph Member

"It takes the high voltage from the ESS and converts it to 12V to run the accessories."

AKA a DC/DC converter. A while back that's what TEG said the "toaster" was. I recall someone posting back, saying he's wrong.