Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivetrain 1.0, 1.5, 2.0... Specs? Plans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to the question of what went there in the 2008 models, I said it was a DC/DC because someone from Tesla said that in an interview. Then later someone else from Tesla said it was part of the HVAC system which made more sense to me.
(So reports of what went in that location were inconsistent).
If this new unit takes the place of the old "Toaster", I am guessing it is just a different air-conditioning controller. But, so much is changed for the "Roadster 2" 2010 models that I can't say for sure.

Quick review of 2008 the "Toaster"

1st Toaster thread
2nd "Toaster" thread

Bottom of "Toaster"
3178155800_0658e667d3.jpg

"Toaster" top
2896678547_90b3a90621.jpg

Hope that's right.

It is the DC to DC converter from high voltage down to 12V.

Last edited:
I think you may both be right. TEG identified the manufacturer on the box, and it does seem to be an HVAC component. However, the box receives a 420V DC feed (see pictures posted on "Roadster 2 ( formerly 2010 model )" thread, so it probably has a DC/DC converter integral to it to supply its own control electronics, hence the heatsink.

That leaves us wondering where 12V comes from for the accessories.

I'm not sure why an A/C and heating control would need to be so large or have a heat sink? It's not the compressor or the heater itself as far as I can tell, "control" should be low power.

Not if it has to control how much of the high power makes it to the heater. For instance if you turn the heat on low then it wants to limited current to the heating element. There could be some sort of PWM power supply in there as well as a climate control computer. Perhaps for the 2008s, the heater and A/C ran at less than pack voltage so it did need some sort of voltage step down (just for the HVAC), but the 2010 seems to run at full pack voltage which may explain why the new box is smaller and doesn't have a heat sink anymore.

I think you may both be right. TEG identified the manufacturer on the box, and it does seem to be an HVAC component. However, the box receives a 420V DC feed (see pictures posted on "Roadster 2 ( formerly 2010 model )" thread, so it probably has a DC/DC converter integral to it to supply its own control electronics, hence the heatsink.

That leaves us wondering where 12V comes from for the accessories.

My guess is that the HVAC climate control boxes get 12V power from the main vehicle DC/DC that lives elsewhere (possibly inside the ESS "battery box").

I am guessing that the box on the top of the stack doesn't need a heat-sink anymore because it is more efficient than the old box. It may be able to do this by passing higher voltage to the HVAC equipment (heater & A/C).

By the way, I mentioned Eberspächer over here.

Last edited:
I think you may both be right.

Perhaps the box for the 2008 models did have some sort of DC/DC but just for the HVAC equipment, not the whole car? I doubt the heater and AC ran off of 12V, but maybe the 2008 model used 24V, 42V or something like that?

For many cars you can just go out and buy a repair manual including wiring diagrams. I wonder if Telsa ever plans to publish one of those.