TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drivetrain Behavior Near Neutral

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Todd Burch, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Hi All,

Just wanted to check and see if you all see the same thing to make sure my car is "normal". Pretty much since I got my car 22,000 miles ago (that I can remember), whenever I transition from very slight regen to very slight "consumption"...like in the +/- 10 kW range...I can feel a bit of a slight jolt in the drivetrain. Almost feels like a little bit of slop in the reduction gear(maybe?). It's not too noticeable...certainly not a bother...but when I'm sitting at a stop light and playing with the pedal lightly, going from regen to consumption, I can feel the slop a little bit.

Anyone else feel this? Is it normal?

It feels mechanical, but might be a consequence of the motor/inverter switching from regen to thrust.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Haven't felt it.

3. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

Haven't felt it either. There is very slight lumpiness from the motor at <5 mph, but no slack like you describe.

4. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

I have felt it with both my original drive unit and my replacement, but only when I am trying to make it happen. Feels like gear lash? I think it is normal. I mentioned it to my service manager and he said it was.

5. Kraken

Kraken Member

I think I know what you are talking about. Occasionally mine sends confused on whether it should be in regen or accelerating and jerks a little bit.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I'm constantly trying to coast and usually end up on either size of zero. I have not experienced anything like what has been mentioned.

7. Todd Burch

If you haven't felt it before, try this:

Use regen only to come down from about 45 mph until the regen tapers off. Then, apply slight accelerator pressure (about 15kW). If you have this,you'll feel some slight gear slop.

8. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

It's a huge improvement over the Roadster. By comparison the gear slack is barely noticeable on the Model S.

9. Todd Burch

OK, thanks. Doesn't bother me at all, just wanted to make sure it wasn't abnormal.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1.

11. Todd Burch

Mine's in for annual service and just checked this in the loaner P85. It's there too...so my car's fine.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I notice this mostly at low speeds. At least in my car, it's accompanied by a slight thunk-like noise from the rear of the vehicle. My last AWD ICE had some gear lash at low speeds, and it both sounds and feels exactly like that. I tried to demonstrate it to a service center and got a "I don't hear anything" despite it being very audible, at least to my ears. They put it on the service list anyway and it came back "Could not reproduce." *sigh* It does it every single time.

I never mentioned it to my wife and she heard it the other day, so it's not just me. "What's that noise? Sounds bad."

I keep hoping to get a Model S loaner to compare against, but no luck so far.

13. Kraken

Kraken Member

Ok guys, creepy...but excellently proactive service. After posting this yesterday I got an email and call today asking me to set up a service appointment to look at this service issue. I supposedly "asked them to look into." The only place I've ever mentioned it is this thread. They're watching us..."Hi Tesla."

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

They've contacted me on 3 separate occasions based on various posts I've made on TMC. They are definitely watching...

15. Kraken

Kraken Member

Yeah.... I've never posted my name, address, phone number, or vin though, haha. They had to do a bit of research (as minimal as that might be) to figure out who I am. They probably have a database with our true identities matched with the our tmc name from what they've figured out over the last couple years.

16. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Agreed. It's in mine and in all the loaners I've driven.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Hi, Tesla. I see you there. Can you send the "charging ranger" to my house to swap in a 150kW-supercharging-capable battery? Thanks. Luv ya.

18. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

I have it on mine, and it makes a rather loud (to me) clunking noise when you switch between accel and decel or vv. It is particularly annoying in the parking lot at work where there are multiple closely spaced speed bumps.

SC manager heard it, and the loaner we tried did not have it, but he later told me almost all other customer cars have it. So I guess it is "normal" in the sense that most cars have it.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I was holding off responding because what you guys are describing sounds different. But since there's the off-chance there might be some correlation....

My car used to make a clicking sound at low speeds. I noticed driving through Redmond Town Center at low speeds on a warmish night last year. Tesla took a look at it in mid-September and had this to say about it:

20. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Hate to bring up an old thread, but am noticing the clicking sound for what sounds like the right rear. Have heard it for awhile but am noticing it more lately. Anyone else hearing this again? Seems to be for a start sometimes, and other times while driving slow.
    Thanks.