TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drivetrain Software vs. "Other" Software

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mknox, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Tesla has talked about how the drivetrain control is separate from the software that controls the car's screens, entertainment systems and so forth, and that you could still safely drive the car if this secondary software for some reason "crashes".

I was wondering if these over-the-air updates are for both drivetrain and secondary systems or just secondary systems. It occurred to me that if they were able to implement "creep", they must be touching the drivetrain software through these updates.

Is this cause for concern? Could a bad flash of the drivetrain software potentially introduce some sort of safety issue? I'm sure Tesla tests these things out, but just the same...

2. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Presumably updates will be digitally signed to ensure they are authentic and intact.

3. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Failure/interruption to apply an OTA firmware update would render your Model S useless, until recovered by a ranger visit. I expect Tesla to prevent this happening. Model S already features the best UPS imaginable - several months of battery backup power. They could add a watchdog circuit, that activates a fallback copy of the firmware. Still you cannot rule out something like this to happen, just make it very very unlikely.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was also wondering about the scenario where the add something like "creep" and inadvertently break something like ABS or Stability Control. You want to be really, really sure about powertrain updates and probably not be updating those systems as frequently.

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

If less frequently means larger updates (more changes) then I disagree. Small, well tested, iterative changes are exactly how I would go.

6. strider

strider Active Member

It's likely they'll do drivetrain software updates during service. Although there is some grey area since they added creep over the air.

7. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

It appears as if all updates are OTA. (as well as patches and diagnostics.)