Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivetrain woes - so this is what happens when your car hits 1,000 miles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
so, my new baby is about 2 weeks old, with 1,055 or so miles on it.
error codes DI_a012, a061, 081, 082, might have others.
was perfect until last night. was showing off insane made - got the green light that my buddy was ready, floored it, and got the customary laughter. got a green light to do it again, and was like the millennium falcon not getting into hyperspace with sputters. turtle, reduced power mode (i had 72% charge left) and was stuck at no more than about 30 even flooring it. however, if i pressed even harder than just touching the floor, i would get a red light warning to pull over right away.
the most comparable errors i could find were on the model 3 subthreads, with slightly different error codes (i think under alerts (versus the version 11 UI's notifications) and the error codes i think started with DIR versus DI.
It threw off about 3 different codes that would repeat with each instance.
this happened again this a.m.
i admittedly did not think to do the reboot. i did "power off" the car a few times. when i would (without getting out) it wouldn't "start" and also indicated my seat belt was off (it was buckled). even unbuckling and buckling was no good, i had to get out, close the door, then open it, and get in, buckle, and then the brake would allow the car to engage.
I tried this on a highway last night to make sure it wasn't unhappy i was flooring it on local roads. what a disaster. i had to pull over with my flashers, coudln't go above 30 with cars passing me at 75. got out, got in, got out of there.
today, i had some brisk acceleration going to the service center (actually followed my buddy in his plaid, we had appointments 1 hour apart and now have matching loaners!)
Based on what i read on the 3 someone posted, they replaced his front motor, then accelerator pedal, and finally founda wire issue in the harness.
I would think this is some sort of electronic fuse tripping or thermal fuse or whatever (it's like 25 degrees out)
when this was happening, the regenerative was either off or really bad. maybe it has been disengaging one of the two motors. I dunno.
really lucky this started last night, and I had a service appointment for today for my console light, that i almost cancelled.
anyway, I'm just reporting this.
PS interesting, app shows the car in service. makes sense. with my other cars, i could still do stuff by remote, like start it and asphyxiate the techs.

2022-02-06 21.05.19.jpg

Best wishes on this -- I hope the service center is able to quickly resolve the issue for you. Must be very frustrating and concerning on a brand new car!
thanks. truthfully, i'm enjoying the 2017 X, which is a very very bad thing. I ordered a Y for my wife, she feels it may be too small, and the X is almost double the price....but it seems really well built (at least th 2017).
all in all my s refresh has been great, and i'm super thrilled of the timing of the issues, so hopefully the service center will 1) reply and 2) fix the beast!
thanks for the good words! I'm still surprised I haven't seen this on the refresh before....

Reactions: UltradoomY
Just tho0ught I'd chime in. I had my refresh for about 17 days. and now the last 10 days have been at the SC. It took me going bat-S for them to wake up after 1 week and look at my car for the first time - not kidding.
then they couldnt' replicate the issue.
then i reminded them on the chat what i told them in person.
then they magically could recreate the issue.
so now, at least they've looked at the car, and have been working on it. they also upgraded the firmware from 2022.4 to 2022.4.5 - yippie, i may have color change capability on the car images (Zzzzzzz)
I keep asking them to just give me a new car (only 1,083 miles on it) and mentioned they should just give me a plaid and we'll call it even (okay, they won't, but i might was well make noise to have them get me out of there!)
I"d be interested to learn if anyone else has had the issues I did - mainly, flooring it once or twice or three times in a row will turn it into turtle mode, even with a nearly full charge.

Reactions: jacie6056
2021 S Plaid
1600 miles and I have encountered 3 complete shutdowns
1st in December, right rear motor disabled steering reduced
2nd in January. Left rear motor disabled
3rd this month. Right rear motor disabled.
In service awaiting a diagnostic evaluation

I can share if this happens to anyone, I was able to reset the dash and restart by
Exiting the car, locking the door and waiting 3 minutes so that the software can shutdown and reset

Still a serious problem

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I have the same issue right after they replaced my front-drive unit... the way to trigger it is by putting the car into the "Drag Strip Mode". Then within 60 seconds of driving the car will start to vibrate from the front and cut the power for the front-drive unit out. Then powering down. Pretty annoying after over 40 days of repair.

---

can be reset by going to the on-screen power-off mode

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 9.38.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 9.38.57 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna