Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driveway charging using a bollard/pole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I am considering purchasing a 3 LR (couple coworkers have them and I think I am almost sold) and one of the considerations I have to take into account is how I will be charging the car.

I have a 2 car garage which is occupied by my wife's car and my 95M Miata (in immaculate condition) - so the 3 would have to be parked outside. Due to HOA rules, I cannot install a wall charger - and honestly, I don't think I want to anyway - so the only option is to have it on a bollard/pole.

Looking for input from folks who may be in the same situation and what solutions were implemented, approximate cost, etc.

Thanks in advance!

The 4 x 4 post did not cost 6 grand and you know that. It is a nice installation that was expensive because he had to run a new service to make it happen.

You could always sell your Miata and park the Model 3 in the garage where it belongs. :D

Reactions: kayak1
The 4 x 4 post did not cost 6 grand and you know that. It is a nice installation that was expensive because he had to run a new service to make it happen.

You could always sell your Miata and park the Model 3 in the garage where it belongs. :D

Not to derail the thread but....

aMkNEEu.jpg

How can you not park that in the garage :p

You do not need a Tesla wall charger. Does HOA prohibit 14-50 240 v outlet in garage? That can charge 32 mph with the supplied UMC2. Are there any water heater or dryer plugs in the garage. These can be used with a "Dryer Buddy" for 24 mph charge. Where is the circuit breaker box? The M3 can be charged at 4 mph off a 120 v outlet. That's 50-60 miles/day even if you use it to commute and up to 200 miles Fri. eve to Mon morning. That's a total of up to 450 miles/week assuming you plug it in except for 10 hours five days a week. There are many superchargers in your area also.

You do not need a Tesla wall charger. Does HOA prohibit 14-50 240 v outlet in garage? That can charge 32 mph with the supplied UMC2. Are there any water heater or dryer plugs in the garage. These can be used with a "Dryer Buddy" for 24 mph charge. Where is the circuit breaker box? The M3 can be charged at 4 mph off a 120 v outlet. That's 50-60 miles/day even if you use it to commute and up to 200 miles Fri. eve to Mon morning. That's a total of up to 450 miles/week assuming you plug it in except for 10 hours five days a week. There are many superchargers in your area also.

What’s a dry buddy?

Going to search but I just ordered my Model 3 Performance yesterday and now need a charging solution.

Oh and I need the posts. :)

Sorry - I should have made myself more clear:

I cannot install a wall charger outdoors (as in - I cannot have it affixed [more like drilled - stupid rules] to the outside walls of my house) due to standard HOA rules. I do not have any issues, however, installing one inside my garage (coincidentally, the panel is along the same wall as where the car will be parked on my driveway - sort of this kind of arrangement:

[panel)-------|-------- where | is the garage door.

Anyway - as I mentioned, I think I got it figured out. I can stick an EV charger holster plug using double sided tape in an inconspicuous place, have the charging handle plugged into it when I am away from home and the WC in the garage connected to my breaker.

Also for those asking why not share a dryer plug - a bit hard to do when the dryer is in the house and the water heater is gas powered :D

Okay but you don't need the Tesla Wall charger. Just put a 14-50 outlet close to the garage door inside the garage. Plug the UMC2 into it and run the plug from the UMC2 under the rubber bottom seal of the door to your car in the driveway. The UMC2s come with the car. The Tesla wall chargers are about $500.

Seems California Civil Code 4745 would apply.

4745. (a) Any covenant, restriction, or condition contained in any deed, contract, security instrument, or other instrument affecting the transfer or sale of any interest in a common interest development, and any provision of a governing document, as defined in Section 4150, that either effectively prohibits or unreasonably restricts the installation or use of an electric vehicle charging station within an owner’s unit or in a designated parking space, including, but not limited to, a deeded parking space, a parking space in an owner’s exclusive use common area, or a parking space that is specifically designated for use by a particular owner, or is in conflict with this section is void and unenforceable.

This would be along the lines of solar panels here in Texas. While our HOAs are allowed to have restrictions on the installation, such as not in common areas, must be on the roof, etc, the HOA is not allowed to have restrictions that effectively prevent the installation of panels. I still had to go thru the HOA approval process. Was approved right away (Tesla provided a detailed packet to give the HOA) and my the panels & PowerWall are installed and I'm awaiting utility inspection so I can turn them on.

Seems California Civil Code 4745 would apply.

This would be along the lines of solar panels here in Texas. While our HOAs are allowed to have restrictions on the installation, such as not in common areas, must be on the roof, etc, the HOA is not allowed to have restrictions that effectively prevent the installation of panels. I still had to go thru the HOA approval process. Was approved right away (Tesla provided a detailed packet to give the HOA) and my the panels & PowerWall are installed and I'm awaiting utility inspection so I can turn them on.

Indeed - same applies here as well, at least for solar panels. But one could argue that an exterior house wall is not a part of a deeded parking space (drive way).

Either way - that's a good point and I will inquire with my HOA; didn't think this would apply.

@lolder - the rubber liner of the garage door is firm against the concrete floor and wont allow a cable to run underneath. I'd have to cut a channel into the wood trim surrounding the garage door and tuck the cable in there. Considering PGE provided a $800 rebate - I don't mind having a WC.

Hello!

I am considering purchasing a 3 LR (couple coworkers have them and I think I am almost sold) and one of the considerations I have to take into account is how I will be charging the car.

I have a 2 car garage which is occupied by my wife's car and my 95M Miata (in immaculate condition) - so the 3 would have to be parked outside. Due to HOA rules, I cannot install a wall charger - and honestly, I don't think I want to anyway - so the only option is to have it on a bollard/pole.

Looking for input from folks who may be in the same situation and what solutions were implemented, approximate cost, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Tesla now sells a NEMA 14-50 outlet version of wall charger (keep UMC in car for emergencies). You can install charger inside and run cord outside. The easier it is to charge the more you’ll enjoy the car. If an electrician is going to run another outlet for you it might be worth just having him run the 60 amp circuit for the HPWC but it depends on your circumstances.

Tesla now sells a NEMA 14-50 outlet version of wall charger (keep UMC in car for emergencies). You can install charger inside and run cord outside. The easier it is to charge the more you’ll enjoy the car. If an electrician is going to run another outlet for you it might be worth just having him run the 60 amp circuit for the HPWC but it depends on your circumstances.

That is what I have to decide upon. My garage has no 240v outlets since my laundry "nook" is inside the house. So either I have my electrician add a 14-50 outlet OR hardwire the charger... decisions decision. I suppose it also hinges on my panel service and available headroom. I am pretty sure I 250 amp minimum service, could be 300 - not sure; and I am only using about 180 amps total.