TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Driving a 90D in 60D mode – increased range due to reduced performance?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JimmyMcNulty, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed, ran a search to no avail.

I've seen a brief video posted by a good samaritan here, can't find it right now, that shows how you can make your car drive as if it's a lower performance model. So, I can drive my 90D like a 75D, 75, 60D, or 60.

Would/should driving a 90D in 60D mode result in increased range?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

The 90D and 60D have the same motors. The acceleration boost comes from the voltage of the more-dense 90D battery pack, but so long as you're not mashing the accelerator every time you drive, there won't be any appreciable difference in range — just a less-punching launch from the stoplight.

3. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Can't speak to the range issue but you'd probably (?) see your tires last longer if you did this all the time. That said, not sure the savings outweigh the cost in this case. o_O

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I think it comes down to having a gentler foot on the go pedal, which I find particularly hard to do! But doing it really does pay off in range.

5. zambono

zambono Member

Want to increase range and you have a heavy foot, use AP often

• Informative x 1
  6. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

^this

7. Max*

Max* Not Banned

The 90D has more battery than the 60D, hence more weight. So you can't have the same wh/mi by just a software switch calling it a 60D.

Also, I thought they disabled the "Performance" Tesla-T tap "feature" on a recent firmware upgrade?

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I tried enabling it a few days ago but couldn't get it to work. I thought I was just doing it wrong. o_O