Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving a Tesla is dangerous (if you have to go back to ICE!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a bit of fun post but I was shocked yesterday after I drove my wife's Volvo V60. I loved that car and was really happy with it. A bit more peppy than my old Jetta TDI and lovely lines and interior. Going back to it yesterday I was just lost. I couldn't figure out how to get the thing moving. I knew it didnt need a key but I remembered I had to do something with this gear lever thing (I kept reaching for the RHS stalk). Once the dinosaur roared into life I was shocked by the noise and vibration. I was sure something was wrong with it, surely it couldn't be that loud and the vibrations so strong.
Whilst driving again I thought something must be wrong, it hardly responded when I put my foot down. I tried sport mode and was stunned by all the noise and lack of forward movement. On the highway it got a little dangerous. I thought I would try cruise control but had to keep remembering that it would not brake or slow down, nor would it steer for me. It was a real mental challenge swapping cars. It sounds ridiculous but I was just astonished at how quickly my brain had got used to the Tesla and the ICE car seemed so foreign and alien. I can't imagine how anyone could drive an ICE car these days really.
That said driving my 1960s Buick seems oK I think because it's just a totally different beast.. and it is a beast indeed.

I drove my first post teala ICE about a month back. I had to drive my company car to a meeting...

The panic that sets in when the an ICE does not slow down when you lift your foot off the accelerator, and you have to slam your foot on the breaks.

My co workers looks at me as I swear at the company car, he asked "you alright" me: "no I actually have to press the break peddle to slow down?!?!"

My wife and I share our S and our Tacoma is our going up into the mountains 4/4 rig, which I drive regulaly this time of year. I always leave the motor running and jump out, leave it in gear, there are WAY too many buttons, I get confused in my own truck! After 40000 miles in our S, The beauty is in the simplicity... mostly allows you to ENJOY driving in most practical scenarios.... that includes wicked winter driving skills with the dual motors!

You wait a few years...
After 2 years with my S I took my fathers car to fill it up for him. It was the first time I’d put fuel in a car for 2 years. I felt like I was participating in a renaissance faire. It felt so dangerous to be given permission to operate the pump, I mean that’s a flammable liquid! And then the payment! I could have taken the wife and kids to the movies with the money I handed over, and I was in a queue of people making our contributions to British Petroleum.

I haven't pumped gas since May 8, except for 2 times when I went to fill a 1 gallon gas can for the lawn mower.

Every time I pull up to the pump in a Tesla, I feel like someone is going to ask why am I blocking the gas pump when I don't need to park there?

My husband and I are sharing our model 3. He drives it most of the time, but I take it to work when he bikes to work. I had it two days in a row, then back to my Subaru (which I used to LOVE!) Ran an errand on my way home from work in the Subie - got out and did remember to lock the door as I was exiting... but couldn't figure out why the locks kept immediately unlocking! Yeah... keys were still in the ignition and the car was running. Oh how quickly have I forgotten how to drive my own car!

Now I'm saving up and planning to replace the Subie with a Model Y once it comes out. :)

Last week, I got out of my ICE car after putting it in Park, but forgot to turn the engine Off. I didn't even know what happened until my wife started yelling at me to turn the car Off.

Also, I'm so used to AP that I forget to brake sometimes and been driving roughly like stopping too late or going faster than the car in front of me and then having to brake. Before AP, i used to drive smoothly and hardly use my brakes but now going back to cars without AP, I drive like a distracted/zoned out driver.

A week ago I had to take my 2005 Sierra on a 550mile trip. The eternal coasting is unnerving when you expect regen. Being an older truck it has the 4speed transmission and the stretch from 1-2nd gear big seems like the engine revs way too high for much too little response. Felt strange to sit so high too.

I actually told the kids to remind me to shut it off and lock it.

Even after several months on a Model S swapping back to an E-Class took only about 5 minutes of brain-reconfiguration.
The only thing that felt strange for longer than that was that the instant torque was missing.

Therefore I guess this is more of a "once upon a time...." type of thread.

I do quite enjoy driving, but there are also times when I’m driving my truck that I’m like” man where is the autopilot knob?” Expecting to hear that ding dong of autopilot as I rest my hands and feet and attend to babysitting the computer..... and I though Elon was a little crazy talking about self driving cars a few years ago, and now I have become that used to the luxury. Humans are sad in some ways we adapt almost too quickly to new things. But frankly the computer drives even better than myself in a lot of situations and I think it’s safer and I am curious to see how long this takes to spread like airbags and antilock brakes over next few years....

Don't know.
I had several test drives with BEVs so far, even driving one for a whole weekend, using it for all our daily activities and chores.
Never did I have a problem though after going back to driving an ICE car. Of course it is a different kind of driving, and everything seems to be more strenuous in an ICE car (which is why I have an e-Golf on order and also still keep my Model 3 day one reservation - even though the endless wait is killing me), but in the end it is more the rest of the motoring community that is - at least in my experience - causing the stress while driving.

Don't know.
I had several test drives with BEVs so far, even driving one for a whole weekend, using it for all our daily activities and chores.
Never did I have a problem though after going back to driving an ICE car. Of course it is a different kind of driving, and everything seems to be more strenuous in an ICE car (which is why I have an e-Golf on order and also still keep my Model 3 day one reservation - even though the endless wait is killing me), but in the end it is more the rest of the motoring community that is - at least in my experience - causing the stress while driving.
It took about a month or two for me to really start forgetting how to drive an ICE car. after about 2-3 weeks driving the ICE was a little odd but not a big deal.. after 2 months... it was a different matter

We had to make a quick trip to the store. The Nissan Murano was in the driveway, where the M3 was charging. I was told, by my friend, I could use his car.

IT WAS TOO COMPLICATED!!!!!

Finally got home, but felt stressed.
Windshield wipers kept turning on when I was trying to go forward or backward.
Had to INSERT a FOB.
Had to push a button to turn the thing on and off.
Had to move a stick near my right hand.
I'll never drive that thing again!

So, due to my daughter's car needing some work done this week, the household has done some car 'shuffling' this week. Daughter has my wife's Sonata, wife has the Tesla...and I borrowed my brother in law's weekend car - a 2013 Shelby GT500 convertible.

Now, don't get me wrong, the car is very fun to drive...with its 660hp and all...but holy crap it's a lot of work to drive that thing!! Not only do you have to use an actual key to start it - there are 3 pedals to think about, a gear shifter, knobs, buttons, a tiny screen. I'm not even used to using two pedals anymore, much less three!! And talk about loud - I don't even bother trying to listen to the radio.

I got in my car one evening to run to the store, and it was like I was in a spa, so quiet and comfy!

But hey, it's been sunny all week and its a convertible, so not all bad. :D

Haha! For me when I get back into our minivan, it always take a small amount of time to re-acclimate to the controls (Activating turn signal when trying to put it in gear, fishing the keys out of pocket after I sit down, manually disengaging parking brake).