Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Across Canada via the New TransCanada Highway!

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 82 95.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of winter tires do you have mounted? Other than that, just plan the trip with ABetterRoutePlanner.com and use the advanced settings for weather, weight of load you are traveling with, etc and you will be fine. In winter expect to lose 30-50% of range compared to EPA estimates. ABRP will help with that.

In winter expect to lose 30-50% of range compared to EPA estimates
On long trips the winter hit is reduced. I would plan on 10-15% reduction although YMMV depending on how cold it is and in particular the state of the roads.

In any case, the car takes ongoing consumption into account on the trip screen and will alert the driver if an unplanned charging stop is needed or the consumption rate is too high.

On long trips the winter hit is reduced. I would plan on 10-15% reduction although YMMV depending on how cold it is and in particular the state of the roads.

In any case, the car takes ongoing consumption into account on the trip screen and will alert the driver if an unplanned charging stop is needed or the consumption rate is too high.
I’m well aware of how winter affects Tesla’s. I’ve owned them since 2012. The OP is travelling through Canada and I’m in Switzerland of which both are typically colder than New Mexico. I err on the side of caution, but recommend using ABRP with the advanced settings entered for a more realistic approach to longer road trips. There are many variables at hand like outside temp, head or tail winds, inside cabin temp settings, tires and tire pressures, etc.

I just did a trip from Geneva to Basel with an average speed of 120 Km/h in rain with 3C temps on average. I lost roughly 35% range with my cabin temp set to Auto at 20.5C.

Reactions: noicepls
You are conflating the effect of speed with weather.

As for NM -- how much do know about my local geography ? LOL
In any case, I am speaking from experience driving in Colorado winters.
I’m originally from California, and born in Cherry Creek, Colorado near Boulder. Canada has very harsh winters. Second, there was a user just yesterday that posted 50% losses of range in Alaska. But hey, I have no interest in debating here. I’m speaking from my own personal experience.

hi all,

i'm planning a trip across canada in celebration of the new canadian superchargers!
if it all works out, i'll probably be sharing my experience in video form.
it's probably a silly idea, especially during winter, but i've been known to do silly things.
any tips? will i be the first to do this?

Victoria --> Halifax via #1

thanks
Here are the winter tips straight from Tesla:

Winter Driving Tips

Reactions: gbertsch
Go for your TCH Supercharger adventure!

I’ve been dreaming the same thing for a few months now, but looking at the huge Supercharger gap—which suddenly got filled recently. Actually, I’ve wanted to drive the TCH since I was a kid. Now we own an electric car and I’m retiring soon, so it can become real.

I look forward to following your journey!

hi all,

i'm planning a trip across canada in celebration of the new canadian superchargers!
it's probably a silly idea, especially during winter, but i've been known to do silly things.

thanks

What kind of car?

What kind of winter tires do you have mounted? Other than that, just plan the trip with ABetterRoutePlanner.com and use the advanced settings for weather, weight of load you are traveling with, etc and you will be fine. In winter expect to lose 30-50% of range compared to EPA estimates. ABRP will help with that.
Have to agree with you mostly @webbah. I figure 66% without wind calculations. In -20C or colder, just to be safe.
Real world yesterday -
Did 193 Km from Brandon to Winnipeg (Headingley) - left @ 90% and -9C, had 31% left so 59% usage 221 Wh/Km mostly at 119 Km/h, no snow tires. Guess that results in about 327 km for 100 % charge or 64% it gets worse at -20C or lower, but wind is even a bigger negative factor. Of course one can drive slower and get better range, but there is a SuC in Brandon, Portage and Winnipeg, so no worries.

I was hoping to make a trip to Vancouver Island for a few days this week, but friends there were busy. That would be the easy part of the X Canada trip. No idea if ALL the Superchargers along the TCH are completed and working in Ontario and east. I'm sure others know and will report those danger zones.

You are conflating the effect of speed with weather.

As for NM -- how much do know about my local geography ? LOL
In any case, I am speaking from experience driving in Colorado winters.
You are sadly very mistaken if you believe in anything less than a potential 55% range reduction in Canadian winters. Those northern winds can chill your Colorado/NM nougats pretty quickly, especially on that long and lonely TCH.

Last edited:
Reactions: webbah
hi all,

thanks

You must be a brave soul. Others here have already mentioned encouraging positives, with good reason. However, this is what a well-meaning relative reminded me regarding winter travel on our great Highway #1:
  • Revelstoke-Golden (awful number of fatal crashes): This 148-km section of the Number One has long been considered one of the most dangerous major highways in all of Canada. With few shoulders and long two-lane stretches without dividers, the mountainous route is frequently beset with major accidents, shutting down the highway entirely.
  • Black ice, especially in northern Ontario and the open prairies, due to fast-drifting snow, its quick thawing in the sun, and then its re-freezing even quicker when cloudy compounded by vicious swirling winds.
  • A Cold battery will mean very slow charges at the superchargers.
  • Remember also that sudden snowfalls can be major and can lead to closure of any section of the route.
Finally, try to confine driving during daylight hours, taking your time. Other than that, you'll be well served by a highly reliable and winter-capable EV, if my own experience leading up to this second winter of owning our Model 3 is any indication.

You are sadly very mistaken if you believe in anything less than a potential 55% range reduction in Canadian winters. Those northern winds can chill your Colorado/NM nougats pretty quickly, especially on that long and lonely TCH.

While 15% may be too low I think 55% is too high if you are traveling continuously and you keep your battery warm, "BMS will regulate battery temperature" in so far as it can while the car is on the plug. Driving the car generates heat within the pack. Your losses will probably not be as high as 55%. You will probably be fine unless the car sits off of the plug for an extended period of time.