Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving around all the time in Ludicrous mode...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... is it somehow harmful to the vehicle or it's components?

I can't see that it matters. Aside from the obvious additional strain on hard accelerations, it should have no effect for casual driving. I don't really even see much of a difference on range when driving around town. I typically switch to Normal when squeezing every last mile out of it.

Reactions: We Are Venom
I only have mine in ludicrous or ludicrous+ mode. The sport mode doesn't even make any sense any more. It's only there if you want the throttle to feel less aggressive and limit the max power - why you'd get the super performance variant and then limit power is beyond me. Its existence is more historical to do with when they started unlocking more power on earlier models and charged more for it. Ludicrous+ mode on the other hand heats the battery which definitely decreases your range and will shorten the battery life if it's left there too long. You can still drive sedately in ludicrous+ mode too but that doesn't offset the battery effect of it being at 50 degrees C. I usually drive to work in ludicrous and home in ludicrous+ since the way home is usually quieter on the roads and has... uh, more traffic light opportunities.

I put it on Sport when traveling with the family. They don't like the acceleration that much and Sport mode makes the car less "nervous" or jumpy. Also, makes going Ludicrous more of an occasion than having it on all the time. After 7 months, I've only did the Ludicrous+ mode to fully heated battery once. Just takes too long to heat the battery, so I'm not waiting on that. Enjoy Ludicrous launches regularly (like once or twice a week)

Has anyone timed the difference between Ludicrous and Ludicrous +?

is there a big difference?
2.4 versus 2.7s 0-100km/h. Quite significant in that time frame since it's an exponential function to get closer to zero. Part of it is delivery of power but part of it is also perfectly tuned traction since launch mode is the only way to get the last bit of delivery and the power output displayed is highest with launch control.

conman,

Thanks, so still quick enough not like it would be at mid 3 or 4 sec then ;) :cool:
Indeed not, though it gets that slow by the time you're down to 10% charge. Dragtimes did performance testing at various levels of charge and showed it starts dropping off significantly below 70% charge. That's why I always charge mine to 90% instead of worrying about 1% longer battery life by charging it to 80%. I need to be in the 70-90 range at all times when doing the work run.